Hardware New 3DS XL not charging while console is on

brettygud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple of weeks ago, noticed that when I plugged my charger in, the orange charging indicator light would briefly turn on then off. I know that the light switches off on full charge, but I checked and the battery was showing approx. half full. I sort of ignored it when I saw that the 3DS battery charging symbol was still displayed in the top right.

Later on - while the charger was plugged in - I started getting the blinking red light, showing that the capacity was worn all the way down. I saved my game and shut the device down so that I wouldn't lose progress.

When the device is turned off and plugged in, the orange light turns back on, and the battery charges normally. Turn the device back on, and the light turns off, and shows that the device is charging but the battery still gradually drains. Thankfully, the device is still usable, but it basically prohibits me from leaving the device charged and asleep or playing while charging on a low battery.

I have been using a 3rd party USB-to-3DS charger cable with no issues for several months with no previous issues. I anticipated that this cable might have failed and this might be causing the issue, so I began using my official 3DS charger, which I had kept. Using the official charger, the issue persists. Tried charging on different power outlets, issue persists. Ordered new official battery from Nintendo and replaced it, issue persists.

From what basic info I have regarding electronics, it sounds to me like maybe there's a battery load-sharing circuit somewhere on the board that has failed. I assume this is on the motherboard. Am I going to have to replace the motherboard? Is that the correct fix?

If anybody else has dealt with this issue, I'd really appreciate your solution if you found one. Or if anybody has any other ideas short of replacing the mobo or purchasing another 3DS. Searches on google and the forums have turned up empty thus far, since most of the time the problem was that the charger needed to be replaced.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@brettygud, so your N3DSXL only charges the battery when it's turned off and the clam shell is closed, right?

The moment you connect the charger to the port and use the system with the shell opened, it stops charging?

Sounds like it's a loose or bad charging port. Are you good with DIY repairs and soldering?

s-l400.jpg

brettygud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@brettygud, so your N3DSXL only charges the battery when it's turned off and the clam shell is closed, right?

The moment you connect the charger to the port and use the system with the shell opened, it stops charging?

Sounds like it's a loose or bad charging port. Are you good with DIY repairs and soldering?

@TurdPooCharger Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that the charging port is bad, I sort of ruled this out by fiddling with the charger to see if it was too loose or something and it didn't resolve my issue.

Doesn't matter if clamshell is open or not. If the unit is off - whether open or closed - the battery charges while a charger is plugged in. When the unit is powered on - whether open and awake, or closed and in sleep mode - the battery does not charge while a charger is plugged in. Basically, blue light on - no charging. Blue light off - charges.

I'm comfortable with DIY repairs but it looks increasingly to me like this is an issue with an IC on the motherboard, and since motherboards are around $65-75, I figured instead of spending $75 and 3 hours switching one out, I would just buy another one for $100.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TurdPooCharger Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that the charging port is bad, I sort of ruled this out by fiddling with the charger to see if it was too loose or something and it didn't resolve my issue.

Doesn't matter if clamshell is open or not. If the unit is off - whether open or closed - the battery charges while a charger is plugged in. When the unit is powered on - whether open and awake, or closed and in sleep mode - the battery does not charge while a charger is plugged in. Basically, blue light on - no charging. Blue light off - charges.

I'm comfortable with DIY repairs but it looks increasingly to me like this is an issue with an IC on the motherboard, and since motherboards are around $65-75, I figured instead of spending $75 and 3 hours switching one out, I would just buy another one for $100.

Do you have custom firmware to transfer your game saves? Your games and files on your SD card are tied to your motherboard.

[Aliexpress] Search - new 3ds xl motherboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah i've got CFW and an ntrboot compatible flashcart so i'm good to go, guess the only solution is mobo or device replacement.

Only attempt this once you've backed up all your saves and extdata through Checkpoint and JKSM. While ~$40 isn't super bad in replacing that MoBo IMO, you might as well put your soldering and tinkering skills to the test since that old board is still salvageable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo