New 3DS & Odd Ribbon Cable Ports

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by megatallica, Oct 29, 2015.

1. megatallica
    OP

megatallica Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2007
    Hey Guys,
    Just finished transplanting a MB from one console to another & i'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but what is with those 3 ribbon cable ports on the MB (Touch Pad, Microphone ect)? they dont clip, they seem to just "bend" into place, meaning that its loose when tampered with, is this Nintendo's Way of knowing if the console has been tampered with? I have modded a couple of different consoles and this is the first time ive encountered any port like this, it seems really inconvenient.

Oh and Ifixit just seem to completely gloss over this in their guides..

2. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, they're tricky. You don't really have to manipulate them at all. If you just wiggle and gently pull at the cable it will come out. You just need to be a bit persistent. If you do it this way I don't think anybody could tell easily whether they had been tampered with before, though I kind of doubt that had anything to do with the decision to use this type of connector.

It's pretty easy to tell whether or not a console has been open before based on how the screws feel when you remove them. Even if you tighten them carefully when you're done working on a console, a technician who works on it after you're done with it could probably tell it was open before since the screws won't feel the same when loosening them for a second time. They won't make that pleasant clicking sound characteristic of screws that have never been removed before, either.