Hardware New 3DS buttons and touch not working

giofrida

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Update:
user @testerfan helped me out troubleshooting the issue. Apparently, I/O lines connecting CPU to the many microcontrollers (such as the touch screen controller) are damaged and cannot be repaired since Nintendo engineers traced them between top and bottom layers of the board.
I ended up buying a new board for around 30 euros and console now works again.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:
user @testerfan helped me out troubleshooting the issue. Apparently, I/O lines connecting CPU to the many microcontrollers (such as the touch screen controller) are damaged and cannot be repaired since Nintendo engineers traced them between top and bottom layers of the board.
Well... at least you got it fixed...

Squirrel61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Update:
I think @testerfan is on the right track, but not fully spot-on. I have a New 3DS with the same problem. When cold booted, it is working perfectly well for about 30-45 mins, then erratic movements are starting, caused by the circle pad and shortly thereafter, the buttons stop working, except for the home button, zl/zr buttons and the thumbstick. When I leave it cool down for 1-2 hours, it is working again.

My opinion is that one of the microcontrollers, which is responsible for the touchscreen, circle pad and most of the buttons, is not making good contact with the solder pads it is mounted on. This happens a lot with chips that are BGA-mounted and heat up and cool down. When the microcontroller is properly reflowed, the board will most probably work again.

If @testerfan is reading this: do you happen to know which microcontroller is responsible for touchscreen, circle pad and buttons? I like to have a go at reflowing but I'm not sure which chip it is.

testerfan

Trophies
Website
www.fixxmaster.com
XP
Country
United States
I think @testerfan is on the right track, but not fully spot-on. I have a New 3DS with the same problem. When cold booted, it is working perfectly well for about 30-45 mins, then erratic movements are starting, caused by the circle pad and shortly thereafter, the buttons stop working, except for the home button, zl/zr buttons and the thumbstick. When I leave it cool down for 1-2 hours, it is working again.

My opinion is that one of the microcontrollers, which is responsible for the touchscreen, circle pad and most of the buttons, is not making good contact with the solder pads it is mounted on. This happens a lot with chips that are BGA-mounted and heat up and cool down. When the microcontroller is properly reflowed, the board will most probably work again.

If @testerfan is reading this: do you happen to know which microcontroller is responsible for touchscreen, circle pad and buttons? I like to have a go at reflowing but I'm not sure which chip it is.
Here is the picture of the chip, it's a New 3DS XL motherboard, but it's the same architecture and the chip is roughly in the same place on a regular New 3DS model. This chip controls the touchscreen input and audio, but when the touchscreen signal is shorted - it doesn't let you do anything with the buttons as well (all buttons controlled directly by the CPU and not really affected by this failure, just same effect when touchscreen has physical dent in it - the system won't respond to the buttons).
Nintendo used this chip on every model starting with 3DS, and I've only seen the actual failures on original 3DS and 3DS XL models. Never seen this chip fail on New 3DS or New 3DS XL, even though the system may act exactly as though it's defective, reflowing it or replacing it with a new chip on New 3DS model won't do anything, as stated before the chip itself is not a problem, otherwise you would never get any audio or touch from the system no matter if it's cold or hot, once this chip fails - those functions are never coming back

bga.jpg

Matt1534

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is the picture of the chip, it's a New 3DS XL motherboard, but it's the same architecture and the chip is roughly in the same place on a regular New 3DS model. This chip controls the touchscreen input and audio, but when the touchscreen signal is shorted - it doesn't let you do anything with the buttons as well (all buttons controlled directly by the CPU and not really affected by this failure, just same effect when touchscreen has physical dent in it - the system won't respond to the buttons).
Nintendo used this chip on every model starting with 3DS, and I've only seen the actual failures on original 3DS and 3DS XL models. Never seen this chip fail on New 3DS or New 3DS XL, even though the system may act exactly as though it's defective, reflowing it or replacing it with a new chip on New 3DS model won't do anything, as stated before the chip itself is not a problem, otherwise you would never get any audio or touch from the system no matter if it's cold or hot, once this chip fails - those functions are never coming back

View attachment 144723
I have exact same problem put the board in a known working device and all symptoms returned.(Mine may work no more than 30 seconds before all buttons and touch except zr and xl and c stick. Mine will eventually freeze completely as well. Also put the good board in my device and everything works great so it's 100% the main board. I could see it being a chip and isn't getting a 100% connection causing the failure. Has anyone managed to fix their board.

Matt1534

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hey did you have any luck or is the board truly no good? I guess I'll keep my eyes lot for a new board

sslmm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi there guys.

My new 3ds has been having these symptoms for a long time but i thought that it was a faulty analog and replaced it and it worked for a year without problems.
But it started again and even with another new analog it simply doesn't respond to anything (except for the home button, zl/zr buttons and the thumbstick).

So is there any fix for this without changing the motherboard? i don't want to lose my saved games and if i change the motherboard i will lose them.

Thanks in advance

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there guys.

My new 3ds has been having these symptoms for a long time but i thought that it was a faulty analog and replaced it and it worked for a year without problems.
But it started again and even with another new analog it simply doesn't respond to anything (except for the home button, zl/zr buttons and the thumbstick).

So is there any fix for this without changing the motherboard? i don't want to lose my saved games and if i change the motherboard i will lose them.

Thanks in advance
There is jksm and checkpoint which allow you to extract your gamesaves to have as backups in case stuff like this happens.

sslmm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I know about those options but without buttons working i can't do anything. I thought that it was just a problem with the circle pad and that it would be solved by replacing it :/

MaRC5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I have the same problem on New 3DS. In addition, there is also a crackling sound from the speakers. If you close and open the console, then the buttons work for a couple of seconds. Disconnecting the touchpad from the board does not help - the problem is with the controller or the capacitors / resistors next to it, or the board.
In accordance with the wiibrew, the controller name is -TI AIC3010B
39C4ETW.

Last edited by MaRC5,

nicker

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I have the same problem. No sound, no 3D, every button no response except c-s, zl and zr when system start.
But in GodMode9, the buttons looks normal.
So it s software problem or hardware?

SrBoromir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got a console with these same issues, did anyone figure out if this was a solder problem? I have a donor 2DS board can I take the microcontroller from it and solder it to the nn3ds as a test?

kaykyuu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just came here to say I had two New3DS with the same issue, no sound, 3D, buttons, touch screen, transplanted motherboard to working system and issues remained.

I said eff it, what do I have to lose so I waved hot air at around 400C around the main CPU and the other chips on the main board and got both consoles to work with full functions.

rctgamer3

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
so I waved hot air at around 400C around the main CPU and the other chips on the main board and got both consoles to work with full functions.
Can you provide specifics as to what tools you used? My n3DS KTR-001 is still in this state and there's not much to lose. All buttons seem to work in GM9 somewhat. Honestly I'd like to just do a system tranfer but I can't reach the settings :/

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you provide specifics as to what tools you used? My n3DS KTR-001 is still in this state and there's not much to lose. All buttons seem to work in GM9 somewhat. Honestly I'd like to just do a system tranfer but I can't reach the settings :/
When asking for information from someone when the thread is old it's a good idea to check their profile to see when they were last active on the site. For instance the person you are asking for help from hasn't been around here in nearly a year.

Screenshot_20240405_123021_Samsung Internet.jpg

rctgamer3

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When asking for information from someone when the thread is old it's a good idea to check their profile to see when they were last active on the site. For instance the person you are asking for help from hasn't been around here in nearly a year.
I'm aware, thank you, I've been away for years as well, so there's no time pressure, I'd still like to recover this hardware issue regardless.

In the meantime, I managed to do a System Transfer after four years because pressing hard on the left side of the touch screen border allowed it to work a final time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: i like totinos party pizzas. lol.