New 3DS buttons and touch not working

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Ksionc, Apr 19, 2016.

1. giofrida

giofrida Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2013
    Italy
    Update:
    user @testerfan helped me out troubleshooting the issue. Apparently, I/O lines connecting CPU to the many microcontrollers (such as the touch screen controller) are damaged and cannot be repaired since Nintendo engineers traced them between top and bottom layers of the board.
    I ended up buying a new board for around 30 euros and console now works again.

MrMcTiller likes this.
  2. MrMcTiller

MrMcTiller GBATemp's Tiller

Mar 7, 2017
    United States
    Iowa
    Well... at least you got it fixed...

3. Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    Netherlands
    I think @testerfan is on the right track, but not fully spot-on. I have a New 3DS with the same problem. When cold booted, it is working perfectly well for about 30-45 mins, then erratic movements are starting, caused by the circle pad and shortly thereafter, the buttons stop working, except for the home button, zl/zr buttons and the thumbstick. When I leave it cool down for 1-2 hours, it is working again.

My opinion is that one of the microcontrollers, which is responsible for the touchscreen, circle pad and most of the buttons, is not making good contact with the solder pads it is mounted on. This happens a lot with chips that are BGA-mounted and heat up and cool down. When the microcontroller is properly reflowed, the board will most probably work again.

If @testerfan is reading this: do you happen to know which microcontroller is responsible for touchscreen, circle pad and buttons? I like to have a go at reflowing but I'm not sure which chip it is.

4. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    Here is the picture of the chip, it's a New 3DS XL motherboard, but it's the same architecture and the chip is roughly in the same place on a regular New 3DS model. This chip controls the touchscreen input and audio, but when the touchscreen signal is shorted - it doesn't let you do anything with the buttons as well (all buttons controlled directly by the CPU and not really affected by this failure, just same effect when touchscreen has physical dent in it - the system won't respond to the buttons).
    Nintendo used this chip on every model starting with 3DS, and I've only seen the actual failures on original 3DS and 3DS XL models. Never seen this chip fail on New 3DS or New 3DS XL, even though the system may act exactly as though it's defective, reflowing it or replacing it with a new chip on New 3DS model won't do anything, as stated before the chip itself is not a problem, otherwise you would never get any audio or touch from the system no matter if it's cold or hot, once this chip fails - those functions are never coming back

bga.

5. Matt1534

Matt1534 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2019
    Canada
    I have exact same problem put the board in a known working device and all symptoms returned.(Mine may work no more than 30 seconds before all buttons and touch except zr and xl and c stick. Mine will eventually freeze completely as well. Also put the good board in my device and everything works great so it's 100% the main board. I could see it being a chip and isn't getting a 100% connection causing the failure. Has anyone managed to fix their board.

6. Matt1534

Matt1534 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2019
    Canada
    Hey did you have any luck or is the board truly no good? I guess I'll keep my eyes lot for a new board

7. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Do the buttons work in GodMode9?