Hardware New 2ds XL microSD card slot replacement

sroemr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, does the 2DS XL have an easy to replace SD card slot board like the others or will soldering be required?

The 2DS XL I have won't read the SD card unless I constantly eject it or if I push on the end of the card to push the end with the contacts up. Even if I get it working, it lasts only until I pick the 2DS up. I'm assuming the pins are bent, but the hole is too small to really look in and tell or try and bend them back out.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to bend the pins back out or should I just opt for a new reader? The only one I can find is $9.50 on ebay, which isn't bad, but they would require micro soldering and I've only ever soldered batteries in to Pokemon games.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, does the 2DS XL have an easy to replace SD card slot board like the others or will soldering be required?

The 2DS XL I have won't read the SD card unless I constantly eject it or if I push on the end of the card to push the end with the contacts up. Even if I get it working, it lasts only until I pick the 2DS up. I'm assuming the pins are bent, but the hole is too small to really look in and tell or try and bend them back out.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to bend the pins back out or should I just opt for a new reader? The only one I can find is $9.50 on ebay, which isn't bad, but they would require micro soldering and I've only ever soldered batteries in to Pokemon games.
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+2DS+XL+Teardown/95977

sroemr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before you decide on hardware repair, does the problem happen with other SD cards?

Yes, it happens with every SD. However, I took the SD card out and it freezes very often, if you move it at all. I bought it used and put Luma on it, which the SD card slot issue made it constantly just not turn on. Removed all CFW and it turns on but freezes. Updated, still does it. I saw a post somewhere that a loose camera ribbon cable was causing the same issues for someone, but when I tried to open it up the screws are stripped. Thinking I might just have to chalk this up as a loss.

Last edited by sroemr,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it happens with every SD. However, I took the SD card out and it freezes very often, if you move it at all. I bought it used and put Luma on it, which the SD card slot issue made it constantly just not turn on. Removed all CFW and it turns on but freezes. Updated, still does it. I saw a post somewhere that a loose camera ribbon cable was causing the same issues for someone, but when I tried to open it up the screws are stripped. Thinking I might just have to chalk this up as a loss.
Can you verify if your n2DSXL can boot without the SD card?
If it does not, try to setup the CTRNAND Luma3DS.
  • In GodMode9 using the (Y) button, you can copy and paste Luma3DS from the [0:] SDCARD ()/boot.firm[1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND/boot.firm.

If you can manage to get the n2DSXL to work without the card, your next step is to check the SD card's hardware condition.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card onto a computer.
  2. Reformat the card in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size using Windows File Explorer or guiformat if it's bigger than 32 GB.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card with H2testw. Do not skip this step.
    • You may stop the test early if an error was reported.
If the card has failed, it needs to be replaced.

Lastly, if the n2DSXL still acts up, try repairing the 3DS firmware.

4. Backup the SysNAND *.bin image (in case you need to undo later).
5. CTRTransfer + system update (Recovery Mode or System Settings → Other Settings → System Update).​

If the above steps 4-5 doesn't fix the reader issue, continue with:

6. Restoring a NAND Backup (to revert to original NAND setup).
7. CTRTransfer (Type D9) + system update.

If the above steps 6-7 also doesn't work, sorry bud but your SD card slot reader is definitely busted and will need to be replaced.

sounreal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did you ever figure this out? I need to replace mine.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you ever figure this out? I need to replace mine.
If your are sure the micro-SD reader is defective your will have to solder.
[ifixit] ← guide for removing the motherboard. Look at the last pictures. The micro-SD slot is not an easy soldering task.

Good luck!

Edit: Sorry, there is no explicit guide for the SD reader – only this one for the charging port. Anyway, it shows how to disassemble.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm not a flour expert I just snort it