Deanwick

GBAtemp terror that flaps in the night!
Trophies
Website
batman.jypoly.fi
XP
Country
Finland
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wish Nintendo would spend their time and money developing NEW games in their series instead of re-hashed versions of the exact same games they released several years ago (Mario, Zelda, now Metroid). I realize that some haven't played those but Nintendo might as well release a game that everyone can be excited about, not just those few younger players. Yeesh, those GBA developers must have the easiest job in the industry - here's a completed game, don't worry about any new character, story, or level design, just make it work on this GBA.
Well, for one thing I don`t see any wrong with Nintendo remaking this, since the original game is so old (almost 20 years,am I wrong?) that many gamers have not played this before, or if have, never finished it, because to be honest, it lacked many important features that Super Metroid had. Most importantly ability to save w/o password and a map...even though I finished the game in the old days, I got very confused many times and even mapped the game myself with good`ole pencil and paper
biggrin.gif

Secondly, this game is a bit like Super Mario Allstars on SNES, I mean that the game is very much the same but with new technology it`s been made more accessible. Plus the unlockable features of course.

If one game still needs remaking, it`s Metroid 2. I really hope that N won`t bother remaking Super Metroid, since the game itself is perfect and if someone wants to play the game and never owned and SNES, theres always the emulators. Nothing like owning the real thing of course
wink.gif

I do agree, though that some of the remakes are pretty harsh cashing, Zelda 3 for example. Four Swords was a nice addon, but too short and not many(especially younger ones)gamers ever could play it...I oppose the fact that many new cool things depend on how much stuff you have bought and therefore how much money you`ve brought to Nintendo.

Anyway, I`m really enjoying Zero Mission because of the new features that boost a great game, which IMO got too little attention at it`s time and was hampered by the 8-bit technology...Argue with me if you want, I won`t
laugh.gif

Edit: When you write this much, there always will be typos... *sigh*...

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
"here's a completed game, don't worry about any new character, story, or level design, just make it work on this GBA."

Yea, it's pretty apparent that that's exactly what Zero Mission is. The same character, story, and level design as the original Metroid. Yup.

ChiroToB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's always fun to see a quality remake... this certainly isn't a "re-hash" as that term is generally deragatory. Yeah, N is remaking many of it's games, but none of them have suffered any loss in quality... and CERTAINLY not this game. The original, if you knew the game, was a bit short, as is this one. For those of us who know what we're getting into, then don't complain that its short...we knew that anyway. For those who haven't experienced what this game is about... Why haven't you bothered to play it on pocketnes or some other emulator? METROID fans played without maps, without save rooms, etc... we know our game. The extras are nice, but that was still no reason to NOT play the original NES game when you have countless nes emulators plus pocketnes for the gba. I still play the original to this very day. OK, so I'm showing my 26 year old age...LOL... seriously, for those who haven't played it... enjoy Zero Misson...then go and try the NES original... you'll see how much more skilled you need to be as a Metroid player to do well in it. -Chiro

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi I'm new.

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Metroid Zero Mission rules and is totally different to the original. In fact it's like playing a new game.
I can't recall Crateria being in the original, so that's definitely a bonus.

I love it.
smile.gif

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding re-makes and re-hashing, the movie industry re-hashes and resurrects old classics (and old crap)all the time.
Old vhs titles get re-released on DVD and as special editions with extras.
Why not video games?

Goa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello every one
ohmy.gif

This is my first message on this board, hope Zero mission is as good as Fusion
happy.gif

Electricview

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So there is two trashman versions i've seen.. an 8 meg and 16 meg.. am i to understand there was 8 megs of PURe garbage just SHAVED off the rom and NOTHING is missing?!!? it will work perfectly and have all features/sounds and any little cutscenes all in tact?!!?

Anyone want to verify, or tell me how this works?

Jojjy Ugnick

shake your bonbon
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that that I used the word "remake" in my post. Wait. I didn't. Whatever you want to call it, it's still the same game. Fun but nothing new.
That's where you're wrong. it's a whole new game. It's just based upon the first.
I do agree with you on actual ports though.

assassinz, that's why I hate the movie industry, unless the DVD has cool features. Most new movies are just rehashes.

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
finished game with 2.55 and 66% complete and i getted helmeted samus and the original metroid (P.S i think i have killed one boss more... my game didn't finish after mother brain)

bolton2

bolton2
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmmm this is a remake of the nes version it seems, and here i thought it was a remake of the nes version.... normally to me this would be dissapointing, but this game ownz
smile.gif
im playing it now just got the long shot
smile.gif

rdit:nevermind just found out its a new game, but it still rocks
smile.gif

Mayhem_Aquarium

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I jus beat it!! I'm not goin to post any spoilers but first time through the game my clear time was 2:36:18 with a 63% collection rate. Now workin on hard mode (and possibly walkthrough if i have the time.)

edit: The ending i got was Samus taking her hemlet off.

Kajitani-Eizan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Oh, thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that that I used the word "remake" in my post. Wait. I didn't. Whatever you want to call it, it's still the same game. Fun but nothing new.

it's not just a difference in the word you use. compare the psx REMAKE of the snes Tales of Phantasia to the psx PORTS of the snes Final Fantasies IV, V, and VI and wonderswan color Final Fantasies I and II.

tales of phantasia psx, fans were ecstatic about. final fantasy psx, fans were also ecstatic about... but you could have simply emulated the snes/wonderswan games and gotten almost the exact same experience. not remotely true for tales of phantasia.

S

stonerhino83

To say the least I am a little disappointed with the newest Metroid release. I had really hoped that it would be a whole new story, but I’m not too shocked, Nintendo is in it for the money after all.

Overall, the game appears to closely resemble the original Metroid as far as enemies, level design, characters, and some of the skills. However, it still manages to have a bit of replayablity given all the hidden items and upgrades throughout the levels. The graphics have been beefed up a little bit, and the colors are definitely brighter so its easier to play on a small screen but at times appear almost “cartoon-ish”, if that’s a good word for it. I can definately say that it will please most hardcore Metroid fans (i.e. GBATemp ppl, Nintendo Fans) but for most gamers the short play time might lead to some major disappointments after shelling out almost $30 for the game.

I was also a bit saddened to see a lack of animations for Samus. Apparently doing a good job on the sprite animation wasn’t top priority. All the enemies move fluently, but often the main character appears to have large gaps of animation while moving, especially while running. Even shots from the gun appear to have no consistency, even with some of the upgrades.

That’s about covers it. Hope some of you find this post to be worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo