GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
or living in a building where the router is set to b and they have no control over it.

-another world
Wireless b, which runs at about 4-5 Mbps is more than fast enough to stream video. And since the 3DS is only 400x240 resolution, no movie can require a faster speed, even if it's in 3D.
The only thing you have to worry about is how fast your internet connection itself is.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
DeMoN said:
Another World said:
or living in a building where the router is set to b and they have no control over it.

-another world
Wireless b, which runs at about 4-5 Mbps is more than fast enough to stream video. And since the 3DS is only 400x240 resolution, no movie can require a faster speed, even if it's in 3D.
The only thing you have to worry about is how fast your internet connection itself is.

exactly, it depends on your connection. we have 12 people leeching off dsl by at&t. when someone in the building is using youtube everything grinds to a halt. i have to do my ps3 gaming after midnight or i'm continually kicked off. if we had 802.11n running i think we would have less problems.

-another world

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
...so Netflix is basically just paid YouTube? only streaming?

then i'd hold off until they offer 3D movies. and until i can get better net connection. guess it's too early for me to get excited...

come on, NoA. Nintendo Video please. soon.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to be within the U.S to even use Netflix. I don't even know if Canada has it yet.

Netflix is locked with a deal btw with Sony. The ps3 has the only netflix app capable of playing the videos at 1080p.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
You have to be within the U.S to even use Netflix. I don't even know if Canada has it yet.

Netflix is locked with a deal btw with Sony. The ps3 has the only netflix app capable of playing the videos at 1080p.
Then how come the XBox and various internet bluray players can also play videos in HD?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure there's a Netflix subscription option where you can just do online related stuff (like streaming online via PC, Xbox, or Wii). If not, just don't order DVDs and online stream stuff.

This is actually pretty appealing to some extent but if you have at least a Wii (Netflix on Xbox requires a Gold subscription I'm pretty sure) then there's no real reason to invest in this (unless you're at a WiFi spot that isn't your house). Sure beats buying an iPad to watch Netflix on-the-go.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
I'm pretty sure there's a Netflix subscription option where you can just do online related stuff (like streaming online via PC, Xbox, or Wii). If not, just don't order DVDs and online stream stuff.

This is actually pretty appealing to some extent but if you have at least a Wii (Netflix on Xbox requires a Gold subscription I'm pretty sure) then there's no real reason to invest in this (unless you're at a WiFi spot that isn't your house). Sure beats buying an iPad to watch Netflix on-the-go.

There is a stream only option and PS3 is on that list as well.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
DeMoN said:
Another World said:

-another world

exactly, it depends on your connection. we have 12 people leeching off dsl by at&t. when someone in the building is using youtube everything grinds to a halt. i have to do my ps3 gaming after midnight or i'm continually kicked off. if we had 802.11n running i think we would have less problems.

-another world

I think more of your problem is you have 12 people sharing DSL because your building is cheap:) lol

On topic, I don't see myself using it on the 3DS that much (I have netflix on the Wii and a BR player already), but it will be fun to mess around with. Looking forward to the upcoming "3d content".

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried signing up for Netflix today on my PC.
It checked my IP and told me it's not available where I live.
I have an American 3DS, but I don't live in America. What a shame. Now I don't have Netflix NOR Nintendo Video.
I'm hoping it'd work by simply changing the 3DS region settings to the US, and I hope they don't check my IP when I try to sign up via 3DS.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Darmanitan said:
I tried signing up for Netflix today on my PC.
It checked my IP and told me it's not available where I live.
I have an American 3DS, but I don't live in America. What a shame. Now I don't have Netflix NOR Nintendo Video.
I'm hoping it'd work by simply changing the 3DS region settings to the US, and I hope they don't check my IP when I try to sign up via 3DS.
Same here.

Creating an account is easy, but using one ain't. (outside US)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
The OP's source has had an update, which answers a question many people have asked...

QUOTE said:
The new Netflix application for Nintendo 3DS displays movies and TV episodes in 2D on the system’s upper screen. Users will soon have access to an additional library of select movies that can be viewed in 3D without the need for special glasses.

As far as battery life is concerned, I actually think the app won't drain the battery as much as people assume it will, purely on the basis that all it's doing is downloading and decompressing video streams; 1 for 2D and 2 for 3D. Much of the drain when playing 3DS games while in 3D mode comes from having to render 2 separate images at the same time via the GPU spitting out polygons and handling special effects. Unless the Netflix app uses the GPU to help in the decompression stage, the GPU will be used very little. Even if it did help, that would still be less strain on the battery instead of having the CPU do all the decompression work. Although the parallax barrier will drain some energy when running, displaying 2 images at a time on the 3DS uses up the same amount of power as displaying only 1 image because the 1 image is having to be displayed twice.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: