Netflix launches a game controller app on iOS

netflix game controller.jpg

Netflix is moving ahead with its gaming ambitions and its latest move is a new app to control games. Simply named the Netflix Game Controller app, it was released on the App Store for iPhone and iPad with the following description:

Coming soon to Netflix. Play games on your TV with the Netflix Game Controller. This Game Controller app pairs with your TV and allows you to play games on Netflix using your phone or mobile device.

While the app is available to download, additional details such as supported games and whether an Android version will be available are lacking. When asked about these questions, a Netflix spokesperson told Engadget that it isn't making comments at this time.

:arrow: SOURCE

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People in this thread not realizing using your phone as a controller has existed for over a decade

I mean, yeah, it is a bit dumb and you would be better off just using a standard controller, but still.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So use a phone/tablet as a controller? What a retarded idea.

Touchscreen controls are annoying af.
Post automatically merged:

At least the Stadia controller was real and solidly built.
These are all mobile games. apparently, which previously you had to play using the Netflix mobile app. Now you can play them on the TV using your phone as the controller. So actually, this makes perfect sense.
Netflix Games is still garbage and nobody should be playing these mobile trash games. But considering the majority of the Netflix user base is not hardcore gamers, I guess appealing to casuals is the right move.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy, just phone and TV eh? So it will be another streaming app

How do these suits in silicon valley still think game streaming is a good idea after all the failures

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Netflix is moving ahead with its gaming ambitions and its latest move is a new app to control games. Simply named the Netflix Game Controller app, it was released on the App Store for iPhone and iPad with the following description:

While the app is available to download, additional details such as supported games and whether an Android version will be available are lacking. When asked about these questions, a Netflix spokesperson told Engadget that it isn't making comments at this time.

:arrow: SOURCE
Don’t they know most TVs support Bluetooth controllers now?

Both my Samsung and lg tv allow me to pair my xbone or DS4/5 controller for use

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not every tv supports game controllers and removing bluetooth communication can improve the latency.
That’s why I said most TVs and not all TVs lmao

The Bluetooth latency is barely an issue or even noticeable any noticeable latency is going to come from streaming your games

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you could build the likes of Just Dance into Netflix and use your phone as the controller that tracks your movement just like the actual game is capable of. But using digital buttons on a phone for traditional non-motion based games is never a satisfying solution.

Oh boy, just phone and TV eh? So it will be another streaming app

How do these suits in silicon valley still think game streaming is a good idea after all the failures
In time it should actually be a decent enough option. So I get the thought of wanting to revisit the idea. But I do agree they're revisiting far too frequently and far too soon. We're still probably 5 to 10 years away from cloud gaming being the viable option they want it to be today. The tech will come in time for internet speeds to increase all the more and latency to decrease all the more to the point where, yeah its a fine option. Will never be the best, but we will reach the point where enough people will be just fine with the performance, I do believe that.

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So use a phone/tablet as a controller? What a retarded idea.

Touchscreen controls are annoying af.

At least the Stadia controller was real and solidly built.
Gotta give you that point. It isn't Nintendo Switch Pro controller quality, but better build then Xbox or Playstation

• Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0F1Qjn0Ac