Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I'll start this thread by posting my own assumptions from a cursory glance at things on the internet: NesDS had its source code released some time ago, and it is no longer hosted on its original site. This leads me to believe its completely open source at this time, and is abandoned by its creator. So with that in mind, I'd like to make an open request for someone to tweak it. It's currently near perfect as far as NES emulation, however, a few small changes would ideally make it unstoppable. I can think of three changes that would make everyone happy. I'm not in anyway a programmer however, so this is something I myself have no idea how to do, leaving it as an open request if anyone feels like taking a crack at the app. I've listed the three changes in the order that I believe would be easiest to hardest to program.

1.) Re-map the buttons. For some reason, the original creator seemed to believe that the best button orientation would be to assign B to Y, and A to B, instead of, you know, B to B, and A to A. This leads me to strongly suspect that he had never actually played a real physical NES, which would be important in a non-PC emulation. There is a quick option to switch the buttons on the menu, but it doesn't save the settings, and you have to change it again with every boot-up, which gets old fast.

2.) Would it be so terrible if someone were to reconfigure the touch-screen menu? Because at least for me, the sensitivity is TERRIBLE. Combined with the proximity of the various options, this regularly aggravates me. I can't count how many times I've gone to save or load a game, only to have the option selected suddenly switch to the other option, ruining my hard work. (this is especially maddening when playing an RPG)

3.) Cheat code engines. I'm no expert, as said above, but would it be within reason to figure out some way to have a cheat engine on-board, e.g. Game Genie or Pro Action Replay? This one seems a bit more complex than the other two, so I'm not so sure how feasible/difficult it would be to do this. However, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibly. After all, there's a Sega Master System emu for the DS that does have AR code support. If you've played a lot of NES games, you know how many are just insanely difficult and cheap games there are out there. (Seriously, Adventure Island, seriously? An inanimate rock can kill you?! )

Like I said at the beginning, I have no idea how to program, especially not something like this, otherwise I'd do it my damn self. Anyone who wants to pick up the gauntlet would be well appreciated. Good Luck, and we're all counting on you.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well the pcm sound thing is something I tuck away in the "doesn't bother me enough to care" along with the SRAM thing (if I can just save the state, why worry about the actual slot? )

The cheat thing was mostly wishful thinking on my part, as I'm sure it's a pain to program. But yeah, a rebuild of the menu/mapping is really kind of necessary, and don't sound like things that should be hard to fiddle with. But as I've said, I'm no programmer, so I really don't know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Bakerman vs. Wario