nesDS and DSi XL LCD Burn-in?

N00ByBo0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can confirm I have problems with this too on other emulators.

Try to play lameboy and some rom, pause the emulator, put the light on the highest and wait for like 20 min. Press the power button and you will see your screen is still there for a split second.

Lameboy also have a touchscreen function. Put it on touch screen and do the same.. the same thing happens!

The screen from the game you played stay for a long time.. however I never had a pernamently burn yet.

* I only had this with the DSIXL

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
at least this thread is starting to accomplish what i set out for it to do. we are hearing that this happens with other emulation. proving this isn't a nesDS problem. i don't want users to get scared of emulation on their XL because of 1 or 2 threads around the internet. hopefully they will find this one and learn that the problems happen if you pause your game for a length of time.

i'm waiting for a response from dwedit. hopefully he writes back.

-another world

neochronomo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
hopefully they will find this one and learn that the problems happen if you pause your game for a length of time.
My anecdote I posted above had nothing to do with pausing. Just saying.

ShinyLatios

Not Quite There Yet
Trophies
Website
www.eonaegis.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
trumpet-205 said:
Screen burn-in can happen on everything. CRT, LCD, and plasma all can suffer screen burn-in. Though a screen burn-in for just 30 minutes sounds untrue.

Well I had this too... I was playing with NesDS on a friends house, then this happened. I didn't know what it was and thought my DSIXL was faulty, so when we were at the store, he said that there was nothing wrong. and guess what? it was gone...

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bit of an update, I've had the same thing happen with the on screen health bar and such for Shantae: Risky's Revenge, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with Flash Carts or emulation. Just the XL screen. So it just seems to be something with the screens itself, not the software or carts. I know this feels like it should be good news, but its happening to me so its bittersweet. >.

SergeXVI

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is old, but I thought I'd chime in with my experience. I had this happen to me on the new 25th anniversary Mario DSi XL, when using nesDS to play Castlevania with save states. I used the pixel fixer for an hour and everything was fixed for the most part.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
SergeXVI said:
I know this is old, but I thought I'd chime in with my experience. I had this happen to me on the new 25th anniversary Mario DSi XL, when using nesDS to play Castlevania with save states. I used the pixel fixer for an hour and everything was fixed for the most part.
'For the most part' - so what about the rest of it ???
laugh.gif

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
If anyone is having screen-burn issues with any games on the DSiXL (or any ds) perhaps you could give my 'ghost buster' program a try...

http://spinalcode.co.uk/ds/ghostbuster/

It would be good to know if it actually works or not.

Just load it up and leave it running for a while, maybe half an hour or so, with the ds open (closing will initiate sleep mode which is no good for this).

75UR15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this problem on my dsi xl...didn't realize what the "lines" were at first, but after I reset it they appeared better, so I kept hitting the reset button and the lines stood out enough to recognize them. They were the lines from the battle screen of Final Fantasy I. Running ds screen tester now. 10mins or so in and the lines are greatly reduced. I have to look VERY closely (on the tester black screen) to see them at all, 10-20 more I expect them to be gone.

edit 20-30ish now the lines are gone on the tester, but after resetting again I could see them. They now only appear when i hit that power button for a reset, not when I first turn it on or do anything else. Gonna run that tester till the battery dies to see if that helps any.

edit 2
also for a note, i never left my console on on the pause /battle screen

edit 3
1hr in and even when resetting the lines are mostly gone, and the more pronounced ones are hard to see. (2bars left in power meter)

edit 4
90(ish) minutes in, still 2 power bars left (have been resetting each post for checking) and 100% clean, no traces of the burn in, not that I would want to test this to see if it would work again. To the writer of the screen test, kudos to you or your group
smile.gif

quicknote
@JonthanD
As far as lcd not burning in, it usually takes longer, but they are just as capable, I used to play wow hours on end, I had it once where my bars at the bottom and side (which except for occasional changes to the spell never change location or appearance) burned in, and stayed burned in for 4+hrs of white screen (opened image editor, and zoomed in on a blank white image). Corrected after about 6ish on that one. (was a high quality screen from dell the 2005fpw ultra sharp....and after 12+hrs of straight playing....yes I KNOW i need a life).

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Schlupi said:
Does anybody know if NESDS EX causing burn in as well?
Of course it does.
closedeyes.gif
The problem isn't restricted to the NES emulators, you know... The problem can happen on any game where there are static graphics shown on the screen for a long time.

In fact, I've only ever gotten burn-in when using the DSi Browser and keeping my DSi XL on Plants vs Zombies's Zen Garden for an extended period of time.

bashnma

Trophies
XP
Country
Yesterday nesDS created burned lines in my NDS XL. I played Ninja Gaiden for 1-2 hours, or so. And lines were burn in place where your lifes and stats goes on your screen. So i can confirm that this rumor is true. It will burn your top screen even if there is a not moving stats on it. I think nds is worst console for emulation ever, bunch of glitches in most emulators, bunch of not working games and bad optimization, please, stay away from this. Recently i was thinking that nesDS is only good emulator right now, but i was mistaken. I have no resources to replace the screen, so i think i will not use my nds anymore, or live with this red and white lines on top, they are not so big, but annoying. It didn't even healed by itself by leaving nds turned on alone for a long time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F