nes classic, anything it can do better than a pc emulator?

OO804

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have one in box, goes for decent price on ebay, if I load it up with stuff I can sell it for more, I'm a little short on cash and it's an easy sell, I don't care about the aesthetics/nostalgia but from a hardware perspective it can't do anything different than if I run nes/snes emus on my laptop right since it's just running an emulator itself?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be careful about selling a "loaded up system." Nintendo has sued some people for doing that on ebay. plus, it might be removed at some point if ebay finds it.

the nes mini is easy enough to hack. all games for one region will fit on internal flash, but you can add more with an otg adapter and a flash drive. I personally just put all nes games from one region on my system, since I want games for that system to be on that system and only that system. it can't really do anything more than a pc emulator can; in fact, some games don't work with the original emulator. you can change the emulator to retroarch though. thus far, I've not seen a game that didn't work.

I guess it might be more aesthetically pleasing. you can use google images to download artwork for the games. I think hakchi will even automatically resize it for you.

anyway, I think the selling point is that it uses hdmi and that it's compact. the cables to the controllers are awfully short, so I just bought some 8bitdo, wireless controllers. those even include a reset button on the controller. I wouldn't buy an nes mini thinking it will do anything better than a pc emulator. I think it's just convenience.

OO804

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd be careful about selling a "loaded up system." Nintendo has sued some people for doing that on ebay. plus, it might be removed at some point if ebay finds it.

the nes mini is easy enough to hack. all games for one region will fit on internal flash, but you can add more with an otg adapter and a flash drive. I personally just put all nes games from one region on my system, since I want games for that system to be on that system and only that system. it can't really do anything more than a pc emulator can; in fact, some games don't work with the original emulator. you can change the emulator to retroarch though. thus far, I've not seen a game that didn't work.

I guess it might be more aesthetically pleasing. you can use google images to download artwork for the games. I think hakchi will even automatically resize it for you.

anyway, I think the selling point is that it uses hdmi and that it's compact. the cables to the controllers are awfully short, so I just bought some 8bitdo, wireless controllers. those even include a reset button on the controller. I wouldn't buy an nes mini thinking it will do anything better than a pc emulator. I think it's just convenience.

thanks for the info, hakchi seems nice and easy to use, I was tempted to keep it but I don't need it and it's just more controllers and adapters because I would want to go wireless 8bitdo etc, and I live in a small space, so bye bye nes classic.

I would think people would prefer unopened box but the ones advertised with thousands of games, even for systems that clearly won't work well like psx/n64, etc go for more money, I'll sell as is in box, don't want to mess up my ebay account standing, they come down hard on fake clothing so copyright infringement I doubt they'll appreciate, even if the sale goes through they can get you at a later time.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I originally bought an already hacked nes mini from ebay, but the person really screwed it up. I'm a big mega man fan, and I noticed that mega man 4, 5, and 6 all had the same box art. afaik, there's no way to extract the database from the nes mini, so I spent about two or three weeks redoing everything with just the right box art and number of games. I have my database saved, and I learned a lot in the process. it's very easy to hack, but as you said, I'd only do it for nes games largely due to lack of buttons. I also went through three otg adapters on the snes mini (use the same one on the genesis) 'til I found one that worked well. some of the cheaper ones sometimes don't detect the flash drive. the one I'm using now has never failed, and I've played the minis quite a bit. I guess when I bought the originally hacked system, I didn't want to learn anything new, but I pretty much had to. you can do a lot of cool things with hakchi including adding 3d box art, which I did at one point, but some games were missing, and I didn't want a mixture of 3d and 2d, so I just left it as 2d.

Reactions: OO804

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.