Homebrew NeoDS how to?

dan80315

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen some NeoDS "guides" on here which tell you what to download and where to put it but that's about it, with no details. Not even the download page works anymore that they provided and most of them are outdated. There's also a compatibility list but feels useless to me since I have no idea what he's talking about.

How do I get this NeoGeo emu running on my DS? I'm primarily looking to get Metal Slug and KoF series on my DS cause they're all-time classics. I just don't know how to even get started, I read you have to convert, leave them as a zip and name them to something specific and to top it off something to do with BIOS?

Help and/or links would be appreciated.

Edit*

Found a good site with a really nice how to: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2008/09/how...with-neods.html

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't provide many links as many of the files are copyright. I can give you some pointers though.

1) Download NeoDS - here
2) Open the zip file and drag the NeoDsConvert folder to your desktop
3) Download the compatibility list - here
4) Run a search using something like MAME and ROMS as search terms.
5) Open one of the plethera of ROM sites that have probably appeared
6) Search or browse the ROM site for neogeo and download the zip
7) copy neogeo.zip to the NeoDsConvert folder.
8) Search or browse the ROM site for one of the games in the list.
9) TIP* king of fighters is probably under "The" not "King".
10) TIP2* if several files are available for example Korean version... ect.... ect... then download the lot this is called the ROM set.
11) Copy the ROM set zips to the NeoDsConvert folder.
12) Run NeoDsConvert.exe
13) You should now have several .neo files in the NeoDsConvert folder
14) If one of the games did not convert then try downloading from somewhere else.
15) Copy all of the .neo files created to the root of your SD card.
16) Open the NeoDS.ZIP file again and drag the neods.nds file from the zip to the root of your SD card
17) Run up DS and run NeoDS. You should see a list of the games you just converted. Enjoy
18) Tip* use the start and select buttons to give credits and start games, also to continue in games.

Advanced: Using Uni_Bios. Enables more options in games but may cause some games to not run. I had trouble with kof98k.
1) Download UNI_BIOS_23.ZIP (possibly copyright so no link provided, you should be able to find it, there are many dead links but it wasn't too hard)
2) Extract contents of UNI_BIOS_2.3.ZIP and place the file inside the neogeo.zip file
3) Run NeoDsConvert.exe with the -bios8 switch. (as I said this only works for some games)

dan80315

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thank you for that. You did a far better job explaining than the stickies did and that's what they're there for >_>

Now I'm enjoying all the Metal Slugs. Tried to get SNK vs Capcom: Chaos running but it didn't convert at all so meh. Thank you for this though.

EDIT*

Metal Slug 4 and 5 could not convert. Along with Garou - Mark of the Wolves and Samurai Showdown 5.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MSLUG 4 and 5 are the only two I have tried and they both run. Try some different ROM sites. Skip through a few google pages and try a few furthur down the list.

Or alternativley try and search for .neo downloads. You may find fairly quickly some nice people have links to already converted files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, hi