Neo Geo Mini

Cozmic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

Thanx everybody. There seems to be no pattern indeed.
Only thing i can see is that FM1J1X1800 is not seen succesfully hacked.

Not working (3x):
1x FM1J1X1800 Intl. (Subcon959)
1x FM1J2X1800 Jap. (Tootyuk)
? ? Appearance (TheSnke)

Working (6x):
3x FM1I1X1800 Intl.
3x FM1J2X1800 Jap. (1x MrTea)

@Tootyuk;
I may not be needed to research if the controllers were broken in the process;
See this text from Youtube:

Jacob Schaefer 1 week ago
I am pretty sire it IS anissue with the firmware flash. After flashing my first unit, I went to Gamestop, bought a second unit, tested and confirmed the joystick was working perfectly, immediately flashed it, and the same exact issue manifested. Hopefully this can be fixed in future firmwares, luckily my second one developed it a little less severely, and is still playable, but my first unit is literally unusable at the moment.

So Jacob bought 2 consoles which both died after flashing.. seems to me that cannot be a coincidence.

Last edited by Cozmic,

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
All jap are FM1J2X1800 so seems it's not the culprit
When this was released I checked videos and The firmware being flashed seemed to be the original Japanese one (same games and menus) which is why I was happy risk running the modified image it on my Japanese model.

With no known source it is a bit of a risk running code we have no idea really where it came from or how to recover if it was bad? Hopefully not too long till we get some answers?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldnt consider mine as broken or non-working. Its definitely still 90% playable. I guess its even stranger that the joystick issue is so variable.. in fact, I really dont understand whats going on :/

Cozmic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It could of course be that there are slightly different controllers in different console production batches with slightly different calibrations.
The manufacturer then has to adjust the calibration setting per batch, and inject a slightly differtent firmware / controller setting into that console batch.

When you overwrite the calibration settings with the hacked firmware (and thus other calibration settings), it could decalibrate because of that.

Last edited by Cozmic,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you overwrite the calibration settings with the hacked firmware (and thus other calibration settings), it could decalibrate because of that.
Yes, that seems logical but the problem is we can see all the files we're flashing and there doesn't appear to be any with joystick calibration data.

There are other partitions that haven't been dumped yet that could contain it, but then how can they be affected when we aren't overwriting those files :/

Cozmic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Imho the best option is to try and get the original fw back.

Does someone know how to contact the author ?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a heads up for anyone messing about with this stuff. After tons of successful flashes, I finally had one fail and the mini appears to be bricked as it won't show up on PC anymore and just stays black screen. I think it got to around 40% and flaked out so just be aware this isn't a totally safe method.

Reactions: alkar

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up for anyone messing about with this stuff. After tons of successful flashes, I finally had one fail and the mini appears to be bricked as it won't show up on PC anymore and just stays black screen. I think it got to around 40% and flaked out so just be aware this isn't a totally safe method.
That sucks. Any idea what happened ?

Surprised though though the boot loader wasn’t touched by the image.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That sucks. Any idea what happened ?

Surprised though though the boot loader wasn’t touched by the image.
I havent had time to look into it much. All I know is the flashing failed around 40% and the app no longer detects it. The only thing I edited that particular time was some cover art so it wasnt the files.

When I get a chance I'll try a few more things like drivers etc (Windows did update a couple time that day).

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A quick update.. it was actually just the usb cable that died not the console :rolleyes:

Managed to re-flash my image with turf masters instead of top players golf..

mFmAhE2.jpg

Reactions: Tootyuk

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you replace the games on the main screen?
Do you have flashing setup? It's easy to semi brick the console if you don't have a fully compatible usb cable and drivers working properly already.

I can probably come up with a little guide to swap out a game like I did for the Playstation classic.

Reactions: Chindogg

Chindogg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have flashing setup? It's easy to semi brick the console if you don't have a fully compatible usb cable and drivers working properly already.

I can probably come up with a little guide to swap out a game like I did for the Playstation classic.

Yup. I flashed it once already successfully with the iso in the youtube link I posted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson