• Replies 202
  • Likes 26
Status
Not open for further replies.

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

Trophies
XP
Country
It doesn't because IIRC the Wii U disc drive spins in reverse, so you would need to mod your console for backups to load from disc. There are also other copy protection methods too, probably, but I don't know what they would be.
I guess you're right.
Probably selfwritten CAT-R Discs would work? Dunno about the Encryption and if OurLoader is able to load such discs anyways.
I ordered 50 CAT-R Discs and a CAT-R Writer.

Reactions: Deleted User

doctorfedora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question: for games with multilingual data on the disc, does it still boot set to whatever language the console is set to, or does it boot in the language the game's region defaults to? (e.g. Japanese game in US Wii U with both languages' data on the disc)

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good 'ol Tank Tank Tank is free; so Nintendo can certainly manage that.

Random question to licensed devs in general; can you make FOSS Wii U stuff or does the NDA stop that? I'd think that if you didn't include the SDK it'd be fine and Nintendo has certainly done just that with the WebKit stuff (although I suppose they don't really count). It'd be helpful to see just how robust your code is (which, of course, works perfectly the first time every time and has no security holes at all) and it'd just be an interesting exercise. You could even start accepting derivatives back into the main codebase.

As far as I know that's off limits. I believe we're restricted to only releasing things officially through the eshop even if its made by an unofficial SDK. Even if its not in the officially in the NDA i'm not about to bite the hand that feeds and tick them off, so I won't be doing any free open source software releases for the U.

Reactions: QuarkTheAwesome

ARVI80

Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I know that's off limits. I believe we're restricted to only releasing things officially through the eshop even if its made by an unofficial SDK. Even if its not in the officially in the NDA i'm not about to bite the hand that feeds and tick them off, so I won't be doing any free open source software releases for the U.

What if it's built for another platform first with open source code and then ported to the U after. I dont see how thats a problem, after all it will be built with the same software that can build for multiple platforms.

Just so im a little more clear, you could build a project in unity free edition, construct2 or whatever for windows and release the code. The same project could be imported back into the Unity U edition or whatever afterwards and rebuilt for the U with minimal effort.

Last edited by ARVI80,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if it's built for another platform first with open source code and then ported to the U after. I dont see how thats a problem, after all it will be built with the same software that can build for multiple platforms.

Just so im a little more clear, you could build a project in unity free edition, construct2 or whatever for windows and release the code. The same project could be imported back into the Unity U edition or whatever afterwards and rebuilt for the U with minimal effort.
That would technically be fine as long as I have no role in the porting process, meaning its completely unofficial.

peanutman

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
do any of the taiko no tatsujin games work?
I just tested this and can confirm what someone else mentioned before me. It works great with 0.2!
However, it does NOT work with the latest 1.0 RC1! That just gives me a black screen and hangs.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I only tried one game on my EU Wii U: taiko no tatsujin (japanese region).
Sadly it did not work in RC1. However, it works great in 0.2!

I'm not sure what is going wrong, but I'm really exited to see it actually works great in 0.2. Let me know if you need any further information or testing to improve RC1.

Last edited by peanutman,

NexoCube

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Before releasing anything you should test it with an standart game (not an out-of-region) to be sure it launch properly xD

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I have a question: on my EUR Wii U, can I put the US SSB4 disc, launch SDCafiine to load mods from SD and then load OurLoader to run the game?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Fun fact, the CAT-R's do not even have an optical drive and neither do the CAT-DEV's, ik as I own a CAT-DEV and have been a licensed developer for over a year now. Nintendo alone handles the pressing of discs etc, nobody else. It would be acwaste of time and money to pursue and furthermore (if it had a disc drive) any of your findings you would have to keep to yourself BC of the NDA. I know you were joking. But just wanted to point this out before a buttload of ppl start harassing you about it thinking you were serious XD
So they just left the disc drive groove in the CAT-R for no reason? I find that hard to believe. Minus a few differences, it's basically exactly the same thing as a Wii U.
Good 'ol Tank Tank Tank is free; so Nintendo can certainly manage that.

Random question to licensed devs in general; can you make FOSS Wii U stuff or does the NDA stop that? I'd think that if you didn't include the SDK it'd be fine and Nintendo has certainly done just that with the WebKit stuff (although I suppose they don't really count). It'd be helpful to see just how robust your code is (which, of course, works perfectly the first time every time and has no security holes at all) and it'd just be an interesting exercise. You could even start accepting derivatives back into the main codebase.
They have to release the WebKit source under the license. I don't think releasing any code that makes use of the Nintendo SDK would be allowed, pretty sure that would be breaking the NDA. However, you're free to release any code that doesn't make use of the NDA, as far as I can tell. So you could make the app/game modular, and release everything except the Wii U specific code.
It doesn't because IIRC the Wii U disc drive spins in reverse, so you would need to mod your console for backups to load from disc. There are also other copy protection methods too, probably, but I don't know what they would be.
Or mod the BluRay writer. Though I'm sure there's more to it than that. Drives can tell the difference between pressed discs and non-pressed discs and the only reason burned discs could be played in software on the Wii was because they left in the DVD read commands which don't check for that. It's possible a similar thing could be done with the Wii U though I don't think it's accessible enough for the average consumer to want to buy it. You'd basically either need a specific model of drive that can be modded in firmware to write discs in the format the Wii U expects (or worse, you might need special discs as well) or you'd need a hardware modded drive.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Bugalo

Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Hi,

I want to report that versions 1.0 RC1, 1.0 RC2 and 1.0 RC3 are not working for me. Last version that works on my Wii U is 0.2.0.

I have a USA Wii U in 5.5.1.

titaniuml

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this awesome app! I can finally buy discs locally in Australia for my USA Wii U!

Woohoo here I come bargain bins!

Btw, I tried the latest version and that didn't open. Got a black screen. Then tried 0.2 and it opened and loaded my USA Mario 3D World so at least I know it works. I'll test some PAL games soon hopefully when I receive a few I ordered in the mail :D

Thank you again. This is all I wanted :')

I hope you do continue to make this even better and better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I wonder if Shaft ever tips...