Need some help with Text Hacking

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by KazoWAR, Oct 6, 2008.

Oct 6, 2008
  1. KazoWAR
    OP

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    a while back i was asking for help on hacking music. i got that done and know decied to take the hack to the next level. i want it to not only play the team galatic battle music, but also show the spirits of two of the commanders, one for male and one for female instead of the male trainer and the female trainer. that i got finised on my own. the next and final step it to hack it to say "You are challedge by Commander $EnemyTrainerName" instead of "you are challenged by $EnemyTrainerName"

from my own guessing the message i need to hack is in the file msg.narc, but i dont know how to edit that file. theres no readable strings i can find in the hexeditor so im guessing it encrypted or something. is ther eanyway to changed the texts, i know people translate languages so what you do for that should work for this. what tools are used?

2. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    narctool.

3. KazoWAR
    OP

United States
    its my understanding that narctool does not work with pokemon .narcs, because the files within them are nameless.

is there an update that i missed?

4. HernanZh

Member HernanZh GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
  5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  6. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Ah, that's true. Haven't tried it with pokemon files.

7. KazoWAR
    OP

United States
    man, my brain is hurting. i have been trying to figure this out for a few hours now.

narctool seems to not work with the pokemon roms because they have the files in the narc with no names.

i found in some posts that someone by the name loadingNOW made sominthg that made narctool work with the rom but i cant seem to find it.

also once i get the text files out of the narc file will i be able to read what they contain or do i have to do somthing to them first. from what i can tell those files seem to be encrypted. is there a decrypter out there? i think so the person doing the platinum english hack should know what needs to be done in order to change the text in the game.

8. ds22

Member ds22 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    well d-trogh has a poketext that works with pokemon diamond/pearl/platinum, but it seems that he has no permission to give it to someone

9. Rykin

Member Rykin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Poketext comes as source code and only decrypts. You need programming knowledge to compile and rewrite the code to encrypt. Decrypting is doesn't help anything if you can't re-encrypt it.

10. KazoWAR
    OP

United States
    can some on give me a link to download the source code?

i tryed google, but only find an old program that called poketext for the old gameboy games.