Need new fix or New Card?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by WizKoulikov, Dec 12, 2010.

Dec 12, 2010
  1. WizKoulikov
    OP

Newcomer WizKoulikov Newbie

United States
    I'm using an R4 - Upgrade Revolution for DS with a 4GB microSDHC. I believe it's one of the originals. I'm running R4III v3.02 natively on it.
    I'm trying to get some of the newly released games to work but everything I've tried has just run into other problems. Preferably as a duel boot system using a ".nds".
    I've tried a ton of different Wood firmwares and either they just don't work or I run into the same problem. The best one I found with the most progress was Wood R4 v1.19 from CoolKill3r's nds. I boots fine but the games either stop due to saving issues or just don't save. I've read a bunch of posts mentioning Wood doesn't save on SDHC.
    Next I tried about 15 different kernels for YSMenu. I've tried a2h's YSMenu Generator, R4YSAuto, pre-patched kernels, and building my own from several different tutorials. Some failed to load entirely. Some loaded and didn't do anything. Some loaded but would just goto white screens when you chose a game. Then the rest would load but just get errcode=-4 from. And that's while trying about 10 different infolib.dat files too.

Does anyone have any good suggestions or tips of what I should try next?
    If that involves getting a new card so be it. What's the best and easiest to work with new released games now?

I guess I should make a seperate post for this question but it does have to do with getting a new card. I've read some good reviews of the R4iDS Gold. It mentions it supports SDHC cards and also supports Wood R4. But if you're using Wood R4 doesn't that not support SDHC cards? So you wouldn't be able use either?

2. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    No, it's fake.

Get a Acekard 2.1 or an Acekard 2i if you're on a DSi.
    Or a Supercard DS2.
    Or wait for Team Cyclops' iEvolution, apparently it has compatibility for DSi mode.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.
    [*]The original R4.
    NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
    NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
    • Price: ~$6
    • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
    [*]Acekard 2i
    • Price: ~$16
    • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
    [*]Supercard DSTwo
    • Price: ~$35
    [​IMG]
    • DS / DS Lite
      The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
    • DSi / DSi XL
      The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
    • Game Updates
      Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
    • SDHC
      SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
    • WiFi Update
      The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
    • Clean Mode
      The DSTwo has special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first.
    • RTS
      The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
    • In-Game Guide
      You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
    • Slow Motion
      The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
    • In-Game Cheats
      The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
    • Special Homebrew
      The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
    • Battery Life
      Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

4. Evo.lve

Australia
    Hey, Rydian, I reckon you need to add R4i Gold in there.
    And if it actually does have DSi Mode, iEvo could be a real contender.

But yeah, what Rydian said.

5. Rydian

United States
    Like I've said I'll add R4i gold once we get some more info on it (AW might update their review) and we get a couple safe locations to order it from that don't stock clones so we can recommend it without worry.

As for iEvo, it's not even out.

6. tranfeer

Member tranfeer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
  7. Rydian

United States
    A search for "r4i gold" brings up 8 carts, the majority of which are not the product in question.

So no, that's not one.

8. Evo.lve

Australia
    r4ids.com ===> Supports AKAIO
    r4ids.cn ===> Supports Wood

9. urbon

Banned urbon Banned

United States
    The one discussed here may be www.r4ids.cn.