Hacking Need help with some MicroSD problems

LuOmeoga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So recently I was searching for a better SDHC to buy for my Cyclo and came upon a class 6 4GB A-DATA MircoSD. I'm not to savvy on flash memory, so is A-DATA a good company? Is it a reliable card?

And sorry in advance if this is a noob question. D=

DMPugh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I ordered the same card a few days ago and am just waiting for it to come in the mail. I own 2 other A-Data cards though, a 1 gig and a 512 meg. Both run flawlessly with my CycloDS (and previously with my Supercard Lite). I can only imagine this new card will perform just as well, if not better (although I don't really know how it could perform any better).

So while I can't speak for the actual 4GB card yet, in my experience A-Data is an excellent choice for flash memory.

LuOmeoga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DMPugh said:
I ordered the same card a few days ago and am just waiting for it to come in the mail. I own 2 other A-Data cards though, a 1 gig and a 512 meg. Both run flawlessly with my CycloDS (and previously with my Supercard Lite). I can only imagine this new card will perform just as well, if not better (although I don't really know how it could perform any better).

So while I can't speak for the actual 4GB card yet, in my experience A-Data is an excellent choice for flash memory.
Thanks, when you get your card please tell me about it!

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would actually recommend not buying that one, it seems to have a lot of problems as of late. Plus, SDHCs are known to deplete battery life much faster than non-SDHC cards. My best recommendation is a Kingston 2GB Japanese card. Very fast and reliable, highly praised here with no problems.

LuOmeoga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
I would actually recommend not buying that one, it seems to have a lot of problems as of late. Plus, SDHCs are known to deplete battery life much faster than non-SDHC cards. My best recommendation is a Kingston 2GB Japanese card. Very fast and reliable, highly praised here with no problems.
The thing is I like having a lot of memory on one cards so I don't have to keep switching in and out cause I use A LOT of memory. So I picked a HC. But if Kingston had a HC it'd be no contest.

Thanks for the advice though.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LuOmeoga said:
DeMoN said:
The thing is I like having a lot of memory on one cards so I don't have to keep switching in and out cause I use A LOT of memory. So I picked a HC. But if Kingston had a HC it'd be no contest.

Kingston does have Micro SDHC cards. You should look into it.

LuOmeoga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
LuOmeoga said:
DeMoN said:

Kingston does have Micro SDHC cards. You should look into it.
Wow they do. o.o
But it's only class 4, would that still be better than a class 6 A-DATA?

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have bought 2 of them. One for an M3Real and the other for my CycloEvo. They both work perfectly fine for me.
Even PoR runs fine on it. Hope it helps.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LuOmeoga said:
Wow they do. o.o

Class 4 and class 6 really makes no difference when it comes to playing games on the DS. Even the problematic games such as Downhill Jam and Portrait of Ruin play fine on either a Class 4 or Class 6. And the main difference here is the brands. Lately, I've seen a lot of complaints about the A-Data card so I think it's best to avoid it if you can. Although I still highly recommend a non-HC MicroSD card. Especially the Kingston 2GB Japanese MicroSD, I've never seen anyone complain about that card.

LuOmeoga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
LuOmeoga said:
Wow they do. o.o

Class 4 and class 6 really makes no difference when it comes to playing games on the DS. Even the problematic games such as Downhill Jam and Portrait of Ruin play fine on either a Class 4 or Class 6. And the main difference here is the brands. Lately, I've seen a lot of complaints about the A-Data card so I think it's best to avoid it if you can. Although I still highly recommend a non-HC MicroSD card. Especially the Kingston 2GB Japanese MicroSD, I've never seen anyone complain about that card.
I see, and I've been hearing the Kingston 2GB was an excellent card, I dunno. 20 games? I know I'll be having a lot more games on one memory card and changing cards seems way too tedious for me. and I have to know which game is on which memory card and such and such.
Thank you so much for the advice though. I might pick up the Kingston 4GB.

AcIdPort

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I recommend you a Transcend microSDHC 4GB Class 6. That's really good and works flawlessly! I have one with my CycloDS and It's really great. Unlike the A-Data this does not give you any problems that have been posted on CycloDS forums.

Greets.

Sticks

Trophies
XP
Country
Recommended:
1/2GB Kingston microSD (Made in Japan is recommended)
4GB Kingston microSDHC Class 4(Japan here as well)
4GB Transcend microSDHC Class 6
8GB Sandisk microSDHC Class 4 (Mobile Ultra Class 6)

It's been mentioned before, Class ratings have no effect on how the memory performs on a flashcart, you should only be worrying about class ratings when you use the memory for what it was intended for - heavy photo/video use in cameras, etc.

DMPugh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, so tests were run. For some reason I'm not sure of, Ultimate Mortal Kombat for DS will just not run on this 4GB card. I tried it with a trimmed rom and the regular rom, and both just give me a black screen. The trimmed rom (and I am assuming untrimmed) will run though on my old Adata 1GB card.

But everything else ran as it should (I ran 50+ roms), including the apparently problematic games like Portrait of Ruin and Mario Kart DS. So while I am somewhat mystified as to why UMK doesn't work, it's certainly a game I can live without. I'm gonna scour the internets to see if I can find a reason why this is happening.

So I can't really give it a glowing review because of the one game it won't play, but that's not enough to stop me from recommending it.

LuOmeoga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AcIdPort said:
I recommend you a Transcend microSDHC 4GB Class 6. That's really good and works flawlessly! I have one with my CycloDS and It's really great. Unlike the A-Data this does not give you any problems that have been posted on CycloDS forums.

Greets.
Thanks for the advice. I might just go with one of each and see which one's better.

Sticks said:
Recommended:
1/2GB Kingston microSD (Made in Japan is recommended)
4GB Kingston microSDHC Class 4(Japan here as well)
4GB Transcend microSDHC Class 6
8GB Sandisk microSDHC Class 4 (Mobile Ultra Class 6)

It's been mentioned before, Class ratings have no effect on how the memory performs on a flashcart, you should only be worrying about class ratings when you use the memory for what it was intended for - heavy photo/video use in cameras, etc.
Oh, I get it I think. Thanks, so in terms of ROMS Class 6 and Class 4 are basically the same?

QUOTE(DMPugh @ Aug 12 2008, 12:28 PM)
Alright, so tests were run. For some reason I'm not sure of, Ultimate Mortal Kombat for DS will just not run on this 4GB card. I tried it with a trimmed rom and the regular rom, and both just give me a black screen. The trimmed rom (and I am assuming untrimmed) will run though on my old Adata 1GB card.

But everything else ran as it should (I ran 50+ roms), including the apparently problematic games like Portrait of Ruin and Mario Kart DS. So while I am somewhat mystified as to why UMK doesn't work, it's certainly a game I can live without. I'm gonna scour the internets to see if I can find a reason why this is happening.

So I can't really give it a glowing review because of the one game it won't play, but that's not enough to stop me from recommending it.
Thanks for the review. I'm surprised PoR worked cause I know it doesn't work with the Sandisk 4GB. Thanks again for testing it. That's strange Mortal Combat didn't work though, not that I was going to play it anyway. That's actually like the first time I heard of that game. XD

Thank you again to everyone that helped. I really appreciate it. =]

AcIdPort

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Here you are: http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=a-data

Best regards.
yaynds.gif

DMPugh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Huh, no problems here with either my 1GB or my 4GB Adata card. Admittedly I hardly ever use the advanced menu so it's sort of a non-issue for me, but it takes just under 3 seconds to come up every time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...