Hacking Hardware Need help with seemingly dead switch after botched modchip attempt

AhsanMC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I’ll get straight to the point. I installed the v6 modchip and the training session appeared to have resulted in a success, although the switch screen was not turning on, and the fan wasn’t plugged in so I don’t really know if it died at this point. Anyways I unplugged the battery after the led stopped, and I tried again by this time the keys turned purple then green. I tried to reseed the screen ribbon and attach all the other ribbons and also game card reader, but afterwards the modchip flashed red, then purple, then green. I attempted to then try and turn in the switch with everything removed, which is where I made two mess ups. I ended up lifting the sp1 cap from the apu, and I think I lifted the pads as well but I’m only 70% sure, and I also lifted the two caps at the A point, but I resoldered those and after checking for continuity they seem to be fine. The last thing I think worth mentioning is that I put quite a lot of heat on the caps when resoldering them, and also when initially trying to solder the A point, where I ended up bridiging the two caps and spent almost an hour trying to separate them. This is all I can remember but I may be missing something (I’ve been at this for 8 hours now 😭), so feel free to ask any additional questions. Thanks 🙏🏽

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Why create two basically duplicated threads? you can use the search button at top of page and find 5 or 6 threads already answering your question and where you can ask for help. creating new threads will not help you to get faster help.

AhsanMC

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why create two basically duplicated threads? you can use the search button at top of page and find 5 or 6 threads already answering your question and where you can ask for help. creating new threads will not help you to get faster help.
I had no idea I did that, I’m using the mobile version and it’s pretty wonky, I apologize.
Post automatically merged:

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Also did you change your socks at all during that 8 hr period?
Yes…but I don’t see why that’s relevant?

• Haha
Reactions: switchhunter666

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Running the Switch without a fan during the start is no problem.
It has thermal throttling so if it gets too hot it will shut down to prevent any damage.
The sp1 cap from the apu also doesn't matter.
The Switch should work without that.
Get your multimeter and first start checking whether you have a short somewhere.
Secondly, do a good visual inspection to see if you might have damaged something when for example removing the apu cover plate. A small scratch on the PCB can already render the Switch inoperable.
I would also replace the caps with new ones.
Although you might not see any continuity, they might be broken as well.
Components don't like too much heat.
Or just spend a few bucks and send your Siwtch to a repair shop.

• Wow
Reactions: jkyoho and impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg