Hacking Misc Others Need help identifying a labeless R4 Gold for a 3DS

Krired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Digging through my brother's stuff I found a labeless R4 Gold, it had no sd card so I got a 4gb card and downloaded firmware (tried the SDHC gold pro, R4i Gold 3DS and the ''R4i Gold Clone from R4iGold.cnto'') to see if any of them worked on my Nintendo 3DS, but none did as it booted up got got stuck on the Loading... screen. The console recognizes the card as a Spongebob's Atlantis Squarepantis, which I know is the correct firmware for other R4 models, but not for mine.

I know the R4 in itself isn't faulty because it was the same R4 my brother and I used on our 3DS, but since It doesn't have the label anymore I have no idea which firmware works. I also know the SD card is not broken either because it's brand new, and I used another card of the same type to hack the console.

Looking at the activity log I confirmed the firmware the R4 used belongs to Touch! Bomberman Land but I can't find a matching version. Every single firmware I tested says it's Spongebob. Dunno if it makes a difference.

I'm attaching a couple of photos, it should be pretty easy for you guys to identify. I have tried looking on google but every R4 Gold model I find has a solid color, while mine is transparent, dunno if it's significant at all but I find it curious. I don't know much else, other than it's not a recent model. It might be from 2016-2018 but don't trust me on that.
View attachment 20220413_235655.jpg

View attachment 20220413_235707.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Krired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
3DS R4i Gold (2012)

Not 2013 because of different PCB layout.

Do NOT use YSMenu or you will brick

Thanks for the help. I downloaded r4igold3ds v3.4 and v3.3 (which are both from 2012) and they didn't work (v3.4 was not recognized by the console and v3.3 went past the Loading... screen but it ended on a white screen instead), so I ended up downloading the repair patch that appears on the left side, and it worked, the R4 is recognized and boots just fine.

However when I try to open a game it gets stuck on another Loading... screen. Any ideas?

Reactions: Takokeshi

Krired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Just a quick update; the R4 may be faulty after all.

3/4s of the time booting the console with the R4 inside will not let the console start at all, it gets stuck on a black screen, and sometimes when I insert the R4 while the console is on, the console will freeze. Sometimes the R4 is not recognized at all. These issues only exist when the R4 is involved.

The other 1/4 of the time it gets recognized and boots but gets stuck at the Loading... screen upon selecting a game.

I assume it's because the card is old but maybe it's a firmware thing. Might try downloading firmware from somewhere else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over