Hacking Need help choosing a slot-1

corbs132

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been at the forum for a while. I appreciate everything this board is, and would like to ask a question.
I have a total of 80 dollars to spend. (had a $100 visa gift card, spent 20 on pzizz modules with student discount)
I can't decide on a slot 1 device. should I wait for m3 ds real? get a simply? get an r4? i have a g6 original now, and have had it since december of '05.
Also, what micro sd card should I get? (not getting another onboard storage unit, learned last time)
thanks alot

corbs132

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would say to go with the R4 along with either a regular sandisk or kingston 1gb. IMO the best slot1 card atm. Alternative there is the m3 simply which is pretty much the same as R4, but more expensive and slightly slower updates as compared to R4.

corbs132

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm going for the m3 simply, but does it support the browser? If not, I'm going for an m3 real.

P.S. I know the forum is sick of these threads, only second time I made one (first time was in 05 for my g6)

Thanks to the *two* people who helped!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
moved to NDS - Flashing Hardware and Software

At the moment no one really knows what the M3 Real does, so if you want a slot-1 with more features then it might be worth waiting for news on the 'Real'.

The big slot-1's out at the moment are the R4, M3 Simply and EZ-Flash V. We already have a review of the R4 and a review of the other two are on the way. Maybe they'll help you decide
smile.gif

lurker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
From general consensus on this forum and elsewhere, the R4 with a genuine Kingston microSD is the way to go. I'm not sure what you mean by supporting the browser - if you already own the ram cart, running the dump of the Opera browser on any slot-1 that will run it works, and if you don't, there's a hacked version of Opera which can be made to run with the SC slot-2 and the M3 slot-2.My bad, what I meant to say is that the browser will run on the R4 with, in conjunction with an SC/M3 (it was reported before this very website)

All in all, I wouldn't wait for the M3 Real as it'll probably be released overpriced, so knock yourself out with the R4 and get some fun sooner.

Sil3n7

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From general consensus on this forum and elsewhere, the R4 with a genuine Kingston microSD is the way to go. I'm not sure what you mean by supporting the browser - if you already own the ram cart, running the dump of the Opera browser on any slot-1 that will run it works, and if you don't, there's a hacked version of Opera which can be made to run with the SC slot-2 and the M3 slot-2.

All in all, I wouldn't wait for the M3 Real as it'll probably be released overpriced, so knock yourself out with the R4 and get some fun sooner.
wow theres a version that runs on slot 2 supercards like scsd? I would really like to know where to get this... although I prolly shouldnt ask
frown.gif

corbs132

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silent, no, it runs on slot 1s if you have a second slot two.

anyways, i have the g6, can this help run the browser? if not, m3 simply here I come.

False Hope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I recommend the R4DS its 40 Bucks, faster updates than the m3simply, growing fan base, can do everything the m3simply does.

D

Deleted User

I set my R4 up in 10 mins and that included changeing the case. It's just so simple to use. I'd recommend it and I've only had it for an hour or so.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nopes it's good, just overpriced

IMO.. R4 + kingston = way to go!... until M3 real comes out =]

RE cords132: the browser slot2 hack only works on supercard and m3 adapters. It also requires a slot1 card that can boot NDS (r4,m3simply,dsx,ez5 etc).

mychin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
moved to NDS - Flashing Hardware and Software

At the moment no one really knows what the M3 Real does, so if you want a slot-1 with more features then it might be worth waiting for news on the 'Real'.

The big slot-1's out at the moment are the R4, M3 Simply and EZ-Flash V. We already have a review of the R4 and a review of the other two are on the way. Maybe they'll help you decide
smile.gif

What about the supercard ds one?
huh.gif

DavePS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also although most people slag it off, if you are happy with the odd file system and software needed to xfer roms, the acekard sure does the trick for gaming. If you are wanting to run homebrew, then you either get a slot 2 or one of the other slot 1's like R4 I guess. BUt if you are just into games, Acekard hasnt failed me yet

corbs132

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I would go with r4, but what is that crystal up top on the pcb of the m3? That might be the difference between upmodding the m3 to the m3 real. Whatever, either way, I'm getting a kingston 1gb. Any links? And where to buy m3 simply or r4 for only $40??

TheValeman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Also note that R4 and M3 Simply software are interchangable if you have ANY soldering skills at all.

And also, I personally think that EZV has a bright bright future, and it currently is my top pick, although R4 and M3 Simply are still really impressive.

Wow ..... don't you have just about every flashcard known to man? And your preference is the EZ-V?

Could you explain why as I'm looking at replacing my SCLite with a slot 1 and tossing up on the R4 vs EZ-V myself. My personal preference was EZ-V as I dont like the spring loaded TF slots but is that reason enough to choose one over the other?

Any help appreciated
smile.gif

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I would go with r4, but what is that crystal up top on the pcb of the m3? That might be the difference between upmodding the m3 to the m3 real. Whatever, either way, I'm getting a kingston 1gb. Any links? And where to buy m3 simply or r4 for only $40??

Nope, that crystal arrangement difference between the R4 and M3 simply serves the same function, but different arrangement and probably one of the arrangements is more cost effective.

Both cards are OEMed from the same company and factory ~~(probably made by R4, because R4 team releases firmware first, and M3 follow with exactly the same features, only a few days later). Go with the R4 for now, you won't be disappointed.

Goto the R4 forums on this board to find a list of good distributors. I used mod-chip.com

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson