Need help choosing a slot-1

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by corbs132, Jan 8, 2007.

Jan 8, 2007

Need help choosing a slot-1 by corbs132 at 9:23 PM (1,557 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. corbs132
    OP

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have been at the forum for a while. I appreciate everything this board is, and would like to ask a question.
    I have a total of 80 dollars to spend. (had a $100 visa gift card, spent 20 on pzizz modules with student discount)
    I can't decide on a slot 1 device. should I wait for m3 ds real? get a simply? get an r4? i have a g6 original now, and have had it since december of '05.
    Also, what micro sd card should I get? (not getting another onboard storage unit, learned last time)
    thanks alot

corbs132

2. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    I would say to go with the R4 along with either a regular sandisk or kingston 1gb. IMO the best slot1 card atm. Alternative there is the m3 simply which is pretty much the same as R4, but more expensive and slightly slower updates as compared to R4.

3. corbs132
    OP

United States
    should i wait for the ds real?

4. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    if you want GBA or DS browser support?
    although this is only speculation of what the M3 Real "might" do.

5. corbs132
    OP

United States
    I think I'm going for the m3 simply, but does it support the browser? If not, I'm going for an m3 real.

P.S. I know the forum is sick of these threads, only second time I made one (first time was in 05 for my g6)

Thanks to the *two* people who helped!

6. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    moved to NDS - Flashing Hardware and Software

At the moment no one really knows what the M3 Real does, so if you want a slot-1 with more features then it might be worth waiting for news on the 'Real'.

The big slot-1's out at the moment are the R4, M3 Simply and EZ-Flash V. We already have a review of the R4 and a review of the other two are on the way. Maybe they'll help you decide [​IMG]

7. lurker

Newcomer lurker Member

From general consensus on this forum and elsewhere, the R4 with a genuine Kingston microSD is the way to go. I'm not sure what you mean by supporting the browser - if you already own the ram cart, running the dump of the Opera browser on any slot-1 that will run it works, and if you don't, there's a hacked version of Opera which can be made to run with the SC slot-2 and the M3 slot-2.My bad, what I meant to say is that the browser will run on the R4 with, in conjunction with an SC/M3 (it was reported before this very website)

All in all, I wouldn't wait for the M3 Real as it'll probably be released overpriced, so knock yourself out with the R4 and get some fun sooner.

8. Sil3n7

Member Sil3n7 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    wow theres a version that runs on slot 2 supercards like scsd? I would really like to know where to get this... although I prolly shouldnt ask [​IMG]

9. corbs132
    OP

United States
    Silent, no, it runs on slot 1s if you have a second slot two.

anyways, i have the g6, can this help run the browser? if not, m3 simply here I come.

10. False Hope

Newcomer False Hope Advanced Member

I recommend the R4DS its 40 Bucks, faster updates than the m3simply, growing fan base, can do everything the m3simply does.

11. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I set my R4 up in 10 mins and that included changeing the case. It's just so simple to use. I'd recommend it and I've only had it for an hour or so.

12. decept

Member decept GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So is the general opinion on this board that the DS-X is utter garbage?

13. iamwhoiam

United Kingdom
    nopes it's good, just overpriced

IMO.. R4 + kingston = way to go!... until M3 real comes out =]

RE cords132: the browser slot2 hack only works on supercard and m3 adapters. It also requires a slot1 card that can boot NDS (r4,m3simply,dsx,ez5 etc).

14. mychin

Newcomer mychin Newbie

United States
    What about the supercard ds one? [​IMG]

15. DavePS

Newcomer DavePS Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Also although most people slag it off, if you are happy with the odd file system and software needed to xfer roms, the acekard sure does the trick for gaming. If you are wanting to run homebrew, then you either get a slot 2 or one of the other slot 1's like R4 I guess. BUt if you are just into games, Acekard hasnt failed me yet

16. corbs132
    OP

United States
    Well, I would go with r4, but what is that crystal up top on the pcb of the m3? That might be the difference between upmodding the m3 to the m3 real. Whatever, either way, I'm getting a kingston 1gb. Any links? And where to buy m3 simply or r4 for only $40??

17. TheValeman

Newcomer TheValeman Member

New Zealand
    Wow ..... don't you have just about every flashcard known to man? And your preference is the EZ-V?

Could you explain why as I'm looking at replacing my SCLite with a slot 1 and tossing up on the R4 vs EZ-V myself. My personal preference was EZ-V as I dont like the spring loaded TF slots but is that reason enough to choose one over the other?

Any help appreciated [​IMG]

18. iamwhoiam

United Kingdom
    Nope, that crystal arrangement difference between the R4 and M3 simply serves the same function, but different arrangement and probably one of the arrangements is more cost effective.

Both cards are OEMed from the same company and factory ~~(probably made by R4, because R4 team releases firmware first, and M3 follow with exactly the same features, only a few days later). Go with the R4 for now, you won't be disappointed.

Goto the R4 forums on this board to find a list of good distributors. I used mod-chip.com

19. corbs132
    OP

United States
    Ok, decided. r4. where do i have to go to get it shipped with a micro sd (512mb or 1g) for under 80$ to usa?