Need dream + mind experts

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every once in a while I have this reoccurring nightmare that only happens in specific situations. It only occurs when I reach a very light level of sleep almost like sleep paralysis. I call it a nightmare because it feels like something is in my room and it messes with me. In almost every situation I will be trying to get to sleep - usually after I wake up in the middle of the night - and I will be staring at the wall or something. I know it's going to happen because I hear a loud buzzing noise and my vision starts to become blurred. Certain thoughts make it worse and more frightening by multiplying the noise level and reducing my vision while other thoughts seem to wake me up more and snap out of it. But after a certain point, I know I am sleeping but I still have the imprint of my room in my dream and I can't move (just like sleep paralysis) and I try screaming for help and moving my hands because of how frightening it is. This happens like once every couple months.

Now the main story, I got really drunk last night and passed out. I woke up around 6:00 AM feelings very nauseous and dizzy and unable to sleep. I curled into a position that made me less want to vomit but after about 30 minutes I bumped into that state again. Like all the other times, I don't feel like I am dreaming but I saw some child or face in front of me so naturally I panic and tried calling for help. Unable to move or speak like always - certain thoughts made it more intense while others seem to snap me out of it. I felt something lay on my back which really made me panic but unlike all the other times, I got curious what would happen if I didn't resist and tried so hard to think the thoughts that intensified it. So I did all of the thoughts that made the noise get so loud and I felt myself being pulled off my bed by my ankle. I kept myself calm by saying I am going to control my mind... I am going to control my mind... I am going to control my mind... over and over again and I tried so hard to make it as worse as possible. I got flung off the bed and I kept my eyes closed and continued to say I am going to control my mind ... and it felt my body was being torn apart and dogs constantly barking and biting me and I woke up. When I woke up, it was more as if my eyes were already open, I didn't really feel my eyelids open like I usually do when I wake up but my mind was completely awake without a feeling of being drowsy.

Of course, every time this had happened, it always felt like I was awake but I know it must be a pretty light level of sleep. My main questions are: why is my mind going against me like this with producing such repetitive terrifying nightmares? This seem to all happen after I read up on sleep paralysis, is this related? Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-Brandon

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It could be various things, your mind screwing with you because of what you read about sleep paralysis, your brain is trying to tell you something (something about a child because of the face you saw), something that you need to do that involves children (the pulling by your ankle you "felt"), have you had/seen any pets attack someone/something? That could explain the biting/barking. Perhaps when you were a child you were attacked by a dog and you don't remember it?

Really it could just be nothing as well, we don't really know.

EDIT: And I'm no kind of expert, but I do have quite a lot of recurring dreams so I have put a lot of thought into why they could have happened.

Reactions: 1 person

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
This seem to all happen after I read up on sleep paralysis, is this related?
Probably. You seem to already be suffering bouts of sleep paralysis, so add to that the fact your brain is trying to process what it learned about sleep paralysis during the day and you get a weird positive feedback loop that really messes with your head.

Reactions: 1 person

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did get attacked by a dog when I was young and still have the scars from it. That's what I was thinking with the dogs. My girlfriend gets similar experiences since I told her about my experiences. I really do think the reason it's happening is because I created it with my mind when reading up on sleep paralysis and the same thing in my girlfriend's mind. She says the same symptoms happen (loud noise... blurred vision... low level of sleep) but that could be because I told her every detail how it happen to me. My girlfriend has a daughter, which I didn't make, I got into a relationship with her knowing that she had a daughter. Thinking back at the last time something like this happened I was asleep with my girlfriend and a similar visioned face (hard to tell details) appeared.

The thing that confuses me is I don't usually have nightmares. My dreams get scary, people getting killed including me, but none of them induce the feeling of fear. I have had this happen at least a dozen times and all of them induce the feeling of fear. I can tell when I dream and I lucid dream a lot but given the situation, the visuals in my dreams are like direct spawn of the images I saw right when I actually start dreaming which make it seem very real. I'm thinking the idea of loud noises was all the times the house alarm went off when I was a kid during the middle of the night.

---

I would like to add that I do not think it's demons that are haunting me considering I do not believe in them. While it may seem like I am being haunted by something that could be an illusion created because while I do not believe in demons or whatever I have had to have thoughts about what a demon or whatever would do which would be spawns of my mind.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
from what i have read dreams reflect a part of what you wish

mutenss and unable to move revolve around a fear stopping you

child normally represents yourself and something you wish you had the inocence of again

in life maybe you are putting on a act or somthing to seem like you care or are acting like a tough person when you feel threatened but regretting having to put on a act

these are just from book i have about and assumptions made from them

Reactions: 2 people

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Pong, actually that makes a lot of sense. While a child could mean innocent, I think it more relates to the act part. When I got super drunk and passed out, I didn't hear my girlfriend texting me all night so when I woke up at 6:00, I noticed missed calls and texts from my girlfriend. Of course, that action pumps the raw idea of my girlfriend which associates with her child. Just recently (like in the last 4 months) I have grown accustomed to her child but before that it was more of an act to show that I don't mind that she has a child. Her child is almost 2 so it wasn't like I was purposely ignoring her before 4 months ago, she just never really interacted with me up until recently.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
You were drunk? Alcohol nightmares are often intense, disturbing, and exaggerated -- I wouldn't take them too seriously or try to understand them.
(yes, I have plenty of experience)

I agree with Pong's assessment if your dreams aren't distorted by alcohol. :)

from what i have read dreams reflect a part of what you wish

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a really big collections of weird/scary/realistic/mindfucking nightmare's trough my life.
When I tried to read about it and "fix it", it just got worse the more I tried.
I just gave up after a while, the last 11 months I haven't had any bad nightmares, now they are just alternative reality instead (what I can remember from it at least, Because I can't remember to have had any bad dreams, only weird once that sometime's don't make sense)

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure a gaming/hacking website is the best place to find experts in the fields of "dreams" or..."mind"

every response you get here will be little more than conjecture.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for their responses.

Why not Old8oy, I got some good advice which kind of contradicts what you said. I wasn't looking for the best advice, I was looking for multiple opinions. While there may not be any professionals here, anyone can offer their opinion. Why on GBAtemp then elsewhere because I read GBAtemp often and am familiar with the community.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's one bad nightmare