The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I started playing minecraft a month ago but with annoying lags. I changed the settings to the lowest and i get 20-40fps. But I need more cause at some places I can't even move in the game. So I think I need a new GPU that's $50 less with worldwide shipping. Here's my specs:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Are there any good GPUs you guys recommend?

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
The attachments are broken :P nVidia makes excellent GPUs are are a very good bang for the buck. I have a GTX 660 and it's been working like a charm :D

Fixe'd em. ;o;
How much do you think they'll be?

;(

what is your pc model number?

Uhhmmm, I dunno. My PC brand is well, no brand.
But if the model number is necessary, how do I check it?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixe'd em. ;o;

Depends on your needs, but for a mid-range GPU like what I have, it can be anywhere from $150 to $200 USD, The one I bought was around $190 on Newegg, but I'm not entirely sure how much it would cost where you live :P My guess is you'd need to get it from Amazon.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say $50 less, do you mean a card worth $50 or less?

What resolution are you going to be gaming at? A card less than $50 is not going to be very stellar, but if you're not going to be going very high in what you expect of games (low settings), you could scrape by. For example, do you have bad performance even in Minecraft's small window mode, or only in its fullscreen mode?

Check out optifine for minecraft and see about getting even more optimization and lower settings for minecraft, too. You might be able to get some better performance for your game, even now without a dedicated graphics card.

You're on a desktop, yeah?

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fixe'd em. ;o;

Uhhmmm, I dunno. My PC brand is well, no brand.
But if the model number is necessary, how do I check it?

Wait you built this?

I would save your money. You aren't going to get enough from a low profile GPU to justice the purchase. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is the truth. Do you have a Xbox360 or something you could just buy minecraft on?

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Wait you built this?

I would save your money. You aren't going to get enough from a low profile GPU to justice the purchase. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is the truth. Do you have a Xbox360 or something you could just buy minecraft on?

I bought this PC just for normal use, I never thought I would play games on it.
So what you're saying is, a new GPU wont work?

When you say $50 less, do you mean a card worth $50 or less?

What resolution are you going to be gaming at? A card less than $50 is not going to be very stellar, but if you're not going to be going very high in what you expect of games (low settings), you could scrape by. For example, do you have bad performance even in Minecraft's small window mode, or only in its fullscreen mode?

Check out optifine for minecraft and see about getting even more optimization and lower settings for minecraft, too. You might be able to get some better performance for your game, even now without a dedicated graphics card.

You're on a desktop, yeah?

Yeah, $50 less. I know it's not gonna be that good but it could be enough for good speed in minecraft.
I play small window mode. And yeah, I tried the optimization guide, the max I got is listed in the OP.
And yes, desktop.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, $50 less. I know it's not gonna be that good but it could be enough for good speed in minecraft.
I play small window mode. And yeah, I tried the optimization guide, the max I got is listed in the OP.
And yes, desktop.
Oh, optifine is actually a mod for minecraft that helps make things like rendering distance and some other background stuff more efficient and also more customizable, which helps some older machines do well with the game. I wasn't aware of any guides to get better performance--but if you know about the mod and have already used it to get the lowest possible settings, then shoot :/

I wanted to make sure you were on a desktop, so we could know about even adding in a graphics card, which isn't very easy with a laptop :P

You do have some options. If minecraft is your only interest, then you could probably justify a $50 card, but it's a case of, if you can afford another $30, then your performance increases at a huge pace--$50 USD is a bit under the threshold of the trashheap in terms of performance vs. cost :(

Is ebay possible for you? Some might rightly feel this is risky territory, but you might also find a good deal. But we also need to make sure your computer's power supply would be enough to cover a card in your system (if it's a computer from within the past six years, most probably), and that it has the necessary PCI-whatever cord to power your graphics card when you install it :)

Reactions: Jiehfeng

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought this PC just for normal use, I never thought I would play games on it.
So what you're saying is, a new GPU wont work?

And yes, desktop.

I'm saying that it would not be worth it to you to just upgrade the GPU. Even if you got a really great GPU your CPU and Ram will not let it perform to anywhere near the capability. And if you got a really really good GPU for some crazy reason, your PSU will be too weak to even power it. My thoughts on this, if you are gaming on a budget, put your money toward a console (PS3 or X360). Idk if you really live in Sri Lanka, and I am not sure if ebay can reach out there for a decent price, but you will get more out of a good console then you will out of a shitty computer.

just a thought.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I should mention that since the machine you're using is, overall, a bit dated, that minecraft was never the best running thing around in the first place. If you want kind-of similar game, maybe give Terraria a try? I bet it could run on a shoebox, and it's pretty fun, in some ways like minecraft, and in some ways very differently.

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minecraft is pretty CPU intensive. On my old PC, it had a single core Sempron, and it had the WORST gpu. To play is smoothly did you try it with Optifine Lite? It can boost of 20FPS on slow computers. With Optifine, it made Minecraft pretty smooth. But I don't need it anymore.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that online games usually demands far more CPU power than single player/offline, and Minecraft is no exception to this.

You want decent FPS, gotta to prepare to upgrade CPU too. GPU wise HD7750 or R7 would do the trick.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If you're upgrading the CPU, I would suggest considering upgrading the motherboard too to a more recent socket. That'll greatly open up your options.
I just don't know if an APU or Intel HD 3000 or later would be enough for Minecraft. Should be, but I don't know.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A CPU would be handy, but as a comparison, I have Minecraft on a laptop that is AMD tri-core 2.1 GHz with an onboard ATI 4200, and with optifine, I can get some great performance out of the standard game (no texture pack larger than 16x16). Your current CPU might be alright for your gaming needs--my nieces mostly play Minecraft on my laptop and I haven't noticed much lag.

Again, using optifine correctly, the RAM usage of the game should decrease. I heard that a while ago Minecraft updated so that even in singleplayer it acts as if its in an online match, which introduced some weird latency lag with enemies. If this one-person LAN is real, I could see a little extra RAM being used compared to older versions of Minecraft...

You could definitely get all these for under $350, but making sure your CPU and your RAM works with your motherboard can be a little crappy, especially if it's for older RAM or processors that aren't really manufactured as much. These older pieces can sometimes be marked up in price just to gouge those older users who can't afford the newer and cheaper stuff.

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
A CPU would be handy, but as a comparison, I have Minecraft on a laptop that is AMD tri-core 2.1 GHz with an onboard ATI 4200, and with optifine, I can get some great performance out of the standard game (no texture pack larger than 16x16). Your current CPU might be alright for your gaming needs--my nieces mostly play Minecraft on my laptop and I haven't noticed much lag.

Again, using optifine correctly, the RAM usage of the game should decrease. I heard that a while ago Minecraft updated so that even in singleplayer it acts as if its in an online match, which introduced some weird latency lag with enemies. If this one-person LAN is real, I could see a little extra RAM being used compared to older versions of Minecraft...

You could definitely get all these for under $350, but making sure your CPU and your RAM works with your motherboard can be a little crappy, especially if it's for older RAM or processors that aren't really manufactured as much. These older pieces can sometimes be marked up in price just to gouge those older users who can't afford the newer and cheaper stuff.

Thanks for the info!
I used optifine and everything is running much smoothly and I love the settings. I get a stable 30-40 fps which is fine by me.
But when I just think about dem fps, I get a PC craziness and I want to buy some better components to improve the performance just cause I like to know it's good. :P
If all of them are under $350, that's great! I'll see when I can buy them and ask about certain things in this thread.

Reactions: Celice

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Get a better cpu, yours is horrible for anything other than web browsing and basic tasks like word processing. Even a low end 2nd gen i3 will serve you better. As long as you're not going to be playing the latest games any video card with at least 512mb of ddr3 or ddr5 should suffice for playing minecraft. You don't need a top of the line video card to play it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo