Hacking NDSTokyoTrim - batch trimmer with wifi detection

zart

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
To disable autoshutdown on file size change;

Throw into any generic unpacker - or do it by hand, it's upx. Then open in olly;

0xD2BBC... Just happens to be 863164 (dec), the original size of the upx packed program.

Code:
004D9E7C Â . 3D BC2B0D00 Â ÂCMP EAX,0D2BBC
004D9E81 Â > EB 16 Â Â Â Â ÂJMP SHORT NDSTokyo.004D9E99

Just find that code and make it appear as above... This will make it jump unconditionally.

Then jump into a resource hacker... tada!

File also posted on CE forums where someone requested this... I don't honestly use this program... Just the way the author worded it made it seem like it'd be a challange
wink.gif

QUOTE said:
it's a self-protection, not just for the background, but for any modification done to the exe; if you were to download the trimmer from a torrent or anywhere else than my website, you have no clue what you are getting; (I've found it in several torrent and other download sites, even though I don't even require a registration for downloading it from my website)
Think for example about the embedded DLLs for unrar and 7zip, someone could replace them for viruses and you'd never know. So the trimmer detects any modifications from the original exe and shuts down as a safety measure. (just like antivirus applications do). The check is done before anything else in the exe is loaded, so in case you would download a version with an embedded virus from some unsecure source, the application shuts down before anything else is executed.

If you think that's a bad feature, /shrug. This protection has been in the trimmer for a long time, and someone found out when they uncompressed the upx packing (for what purpose, I don't know, but go figure)
My program, as suplied and used as intented, is completely harmless (not like a reboot does any harm anyway).

Ok i'll give you a hint. In order to replace the current background you need to create an encripted one, matching the same encription I used, which is based on random seeds, distribute it across the exe in several areas (it's not embedded as a resource), and have the checksum of various parts of it match certain values that affect the final rom size and trimming process. No background = wrong trimming.

Though I do believe this protection was rather weak... Putting it in such a protection only encourages people to attempt at unpacking and cracking it. Oh well - and your hints were far or track and not needed
wink.gif
Oh well. I enjoyed the challenge, no matter how small it is.

Keep up the good work with the program, it looks like people like it.

zart

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Wasnt trying to pwn anyone. Was just interested after someone posted about it saying it was "very very hard" to crack. So I just took a quick glance at it.

Besides - after glancing at it again for a little bit, I'd say it's better off just waiting for him to release the background changing option - as it looks like it's being worked on and in it.

BrianTokyo

NDSTokyoTrim Dev.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.eden.fm
XP
Country
Nice :) What forums are those btw? I said in several ocasions anything is crackable, specially if you know some asm :)

But skipping the reboot doesn't help much, the trimming will still be wrong and the output rom have a wrong size, prolly bigger than the original.

Remove the background = wrong trim. Could also be cracked like anything in this world but I don't think it's worth the efforts for just a rom trimmer :)

smallkid: no worries

zart

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Oh - well like I said, never used your program before - just did what someone asked
wink.gif

I'd look into it, but I don't have any roms to test your program with anyway
biggrin.gif

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Brian, Hows the next build coming ... LOL i havint visited the posted on the boards in ages. Stupid School Sucks ... Feels like Jail.

BrianTokyo

NDSTokyoTrim Dev.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.eden.fm
XP
Country
I've been kinda lazy about it, enjoying holidays atm since the end of October and soon going to Tokyo.

Not much will be new in the new build:
- changeable background
- command line option to open a rom (now it's only for folders)
- maybe rom renaming to remove *scene numbers

I haven't got much feedback about the GBA trimming, so I don't know if it needs to be improved/fixed.

As for NDS, I believed it's really perfected now. It is exactly accurate, detects and fixes wrong trimmings from other apps, etc. Someone suggested it should revert back to older trimmers behaviour if the rom header has no info about the size, by checking from the end until it finds data, but that's completely unreliable. If there is a bad rom, just find a good source (roms that list rom size as 0)

Status on Linux, Win 9x and Vista x64:

- Linux and Win 9x fix: To fix it I need to remove the current background protection or find an alternate way.
- Vista x64: To fix that I have to extract the DLLs to disk; the method for loading them straight into memory is what makes it crash (it's no documented at all and not a normal way of loading them, but I thinks it's nice and much preferred rather than extracting temporal files to disk)

We'll see, I'll probably release something in the next 2 weeks.

Btw, school > work, let's switch ? :P

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not much will be new in the new build:
- changeable background
- command line option to open a rom (now it's only for folders)
- maybe rom renaming to remove *scene numbers

The changeable background is cool

And 64 bit integers?
tongue.gif

If you do the scene numbers renaming, I think it would be good to have it as a check box or whatever as some people like the numbers to help knowing which releases are newer.

A mass renaming feature would be cool but I think it would need some sort of database for the roms. Like if the person wanted they could have it rename to (RomNumber - Game name - Language), or if those chose they could do (Game name -Language - Rom number). I wish I could explain it better. If you find it hard to understand what I just said and I will attempt to clarify.

enigmaindex

the Scarecrow
Trophies
Website
www.zomganime.com
XP
Country
Yah this should be stickied, not because of the amount of posts (all the posts here are just complaining about the background) but becasue of how awesome this program is.

Haha i'm a bit shocked Brian, finally giving in and adding changeable backgrounds, it just wont be the same TokyoTrim anymore
tongue.gif
. Good work mate, keep it up and enjoy your holidays.

BrianTokyo

NDSTokyoTrim Dev.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.eden.fm
XP
Country
Eheh, thanks, maybe you can request some admin to stick it?

As for the background, well.. I'll see. Maybe we should have a poll and see how many people would rather it being fixed? :P

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No offence but a background image of a cartoon girl in a sexual nature does not exactly float my boat. At least make it a real-life girl or something which doesn't make me feel like a weirdo when my mum walks in and sees it... :/

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GBA trimming seems to be spot on Brian. The trimmed GBA games play just as well as the trimmed DS games. So I'm not sure if there's anything to be fixed with it.

But I'm sure if you did some extensive testing, you would be able to find something.
smile.gif

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The ability to change it would be cool, but also have a default image like the current one or a new one of your choice. If people like it they can keep it, and if they hate it they can change it.

philco1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, school > work, let's switch ?
tongue.gif

Brian ... I'm in University and am taking Statistics, Mathematics, Comp Sci courses. I don't stop working ... thus to me Work > school any day. Moreover, I'm also a TA for my school so I have to teach the first years stuff too, but at least I make money when I do that. Btw. I stated on the boards that I bought a PS3 ... I've yet to open up the friggin box. Its taunting me I tell u. I can hardly wait till my exams are over then I'm gonna buy Drakes Fortune aka) Tomb Raider + Gears put into one game.

perkele

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Remove the background = wrong trim.

You also put this wrong trimming in in case some one replaces the dlls with a virus or is it to protect your paedophilic background?
BTW nice to admit you put in a malicious trojan horse, it not only reboots the system, it also creates bad files.

rooaarrr every time that i see new post in this topic i hope it is newer version with background change, and there is nothing
cry.gif
What the hell do you think the "check for new version" in the trimmer stands for?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: After my shower +1