Hacking NDSSFC/CATSFC revival

What sort of additional hotkeys do you want?

• Total voters

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The latest version of CATSFC, 1.36, will be the last one ever under my name.

If anyone wants to take up maintainership of the project from now on, drop me a private message for committer access on ShadauxCat/CATSFC.

Pending issues are on GitHub, as well as the following that have not been put on GitHub. They are possible entry points into future development.
  • Port Snes9x 1.52 or 1.53. (Or, if not entirely possible, any of the following things in isolation.)
    • Emulation accuracy fixes.
    • Audio emulation code by Blargg.
    • BSX support.
    • Large ROM (32 Mbit < SIZE <= 128 Mbit) support.
  • An issue affecting controller input and video output, whereby 20 FPS is the only safe option for outputting images without controller input desynchronisation. (DS2 SDK)
  • Several issues with 64 GiB cards and cards of up to 32 GiB that have not been formatted with the Panasonic SD Formatter with the size adjustment set, including investigating why reads on non-adjusted cards work, but writes corrupt. (DS2 SDK)
  • New language translations, as appropriate.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CATSFC 1.36.1 is now available under kane159's name.

It adds a Chinese translation using traditional characters, all of which was taken from kane159's submission in the TempGBA thread.

If you don't read Chinese, you can safely skip this release. If you read Chinese or just want the latest release because reasons, download it NOW! :D

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do you guys think Yoshi's Island will ever be supported? I was told Yoshi's Island was always difficult to emulate because the game ran on a special custom chip.

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
It's really too bad DSTwo Team stopped developing their SNES and GBA emulators, but I'm glad there are unofficial ones like this. Some games still run choppy, though. Is this the best we can expect from the DSTwo?
At the moment that and TempGBA can be considered the officials because SC Team assume they on his plugins download page. And SC Team itself provided Nebuleon with extra hardware to develop the GBA emulator.
Like Nebuleon said two post before, DS2 has only 396 MHz (from 400 on all is unstable) but may be there is some room for improvement, only limited by DS-DS2 communication bottleneck.

Edit: HEY my 300th post :grog:!!!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's really too bad DSTwo Team stopped developing their SNES and GBA emulators, but I'm glad there are unofficial ones like this. Some games still run choppy, though. Is this the best we can expect from the DSTwo?
Yes, this is about the best you can expect from a $35 computer system the size of a flash cart.

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, this is about the best you can expect from a $35 computer system the size of a flash cart.
Yeah, sadly. Maybe their next cart will be dual-core. But they'll probably wait on that until they can crank out a 3DS flash cart of their own.

faster7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone give me a general percentage number how many well the SNES library is emulated?

Also a percentage for, say, the top 20 games on the SNES would be nice.

Thanks!

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can someone give me a general percentage number how many well the SNES library is emulated?

Also a percentage for, say, the top 20 games on the SNES would be nice.

Thanks!
I think your question requires knowing the compatibility of all SNES games ever released, as well as how much of the library of games is slow on the DSTwo due to its processor's frequency being 396 MHz. I'm not very sure, though. I don't understand your question.

As for the top 20 SNES games, which I suppose will be the likes of Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Castlevania, Final Fantasy 6 and a few others, they should be pretty well emulated.

This is a port of Snes9x 1.43.

Reactions: faster7

faster7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think your question requires knowing the compatibility of all SNES games ever released, as well as how much of the library of games is slow on the DSTwo due to its processor's frequency being 396 MHz. I'm not very sure, though. I don't understand your question.

As for the top 20 SNES games, which I suppose will be the likes of Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Castlevania, Final Fantasy 6 and a few others, they should be pretty well emulated.

This is a port of Snes9x 1.43.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Also, kinda new to emulation so please forgive my ignoranc but, SNES emulators can naturally emulate NES games like GBA emulators can emulate GBC games right?

masterz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if you were thinking of it, but were you planning on contributing some of this stuff to the zero's snes emulator? Since I've not used theirs much yet, and I don't know how theirs does with performance yet, you seem to be a damn wizard when it comes to mips, I'd like to see your work there too if at all possible.

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know if you were thinking of it, but were you planning on contributing some of this stuff to the zero's snes emulator? Since I've not used theirs much yet, and I don't know how theirs does with performance yet, you seem to be a damn wizard when it comes to mips, I'd like to see your work there too if at all possible.
My work here (DSTwo) isn't necessary there (GCW0), because the problem here was a library problem that doesn't occur there.

The problem in CATSFC was that the frame skipper expected that skipping a frame would lower the latency, but it was the audio rendering that waited for buffers to be empty. So the frame skipper was either 0, 1, or all over the place, above 6, even in simple sprite/BG games like Super Mario World. Once that was solved, the frame skipper kept staying under 3, and I could increase the audio frequency and quality and it would sound better at very little expense.

Edit: The GCW Zero's main SNES emulator, PocketSNES, can do Yoshi's Island at 45 to 60 FPS as it stands, with 44100 Hz audio. You can set it to 1 frameskip if you don't like slightly inconsistent FPS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Do you remember this song?