Hacking NDSL-third party batteries (longer life)...

Topsy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was looking for a little more battery life for my NDSL, so I bought a third party battery made by Pega. The original Nintendo branded DSL battery is rated 1000mAh capacity. The Pega NDSL battery is rated 1600mAh, so you should get 60% longer battery life out of it.

I installed the Pega battery in my DSL and charged it up via wall adapter. It only charged for about an hour and a half and then the orange light went out. I figured this was OK though because I assumed it already had a partial charge. I played the DSL for maybe 5 hours (brightness 3/full volume) and got a red light - played maybe another 20 minutes and it shut off.... So I charged it up and it only charged for an hour and a half again before the orange light went out. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it charged for maybe another 2 minutes, then off.

So I played again and got about the same length play time as before. I then removed the battery and reinstalled my original Nintendo battery. The Nintendo battery charges for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours and lasts much much longer than the Pega...

I tried to get a refund or an exchange, but it turned out it was more trouble than it was worth...

I was really curious, so I ordered another NDSL third party battery. This one was made by Dragon and was rated 1200mAh, so it should last 20% longer than the original NDSL battery...

When it arrived, I installed the Dragon battery and charged it up... To make a long story short it HAD THE EXACT SAME BEHAVIOUR as the Pega battery. Charged for about an hour and a half and low play time (this time I played on brightness 2/full volume). I tried charging the Dragon battery twice from empty (DS would shut down) and both times the same thing. So I put back my original Nintendo battery...

Can anyone explain WTF is going on and why both of these third party batteries won't charge past an hour and a half? Is there some minor hardware difference between the asian DSLs and maybe these batteries are specific to them? I have a North American DSL.

I can't figure it out cause the batteries all say they are compatable, but yet only the Nintendo original battery charges correctly. There really shouldn't be a difference between them aside for capacity.

Does anyone know anything about lion batteries that might explain this or has anyone had experience with these third-party batteries? Did they work for you? I just can't see both batteries being defective and they both state full compatability with UGS-001 console (NDSL)...

As it stands now, I'm back to my Nintendo battery with two lame spares
wacko.gif

Here's a picture of the batteries (sorry for the large size, but I wanted the details visible):

20awh10.jpg

Topsy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Leaving the DSL plugged in to "charge" overnight shouldn't make a difference, as these third party batteries are only charging for at most an hour and a half when the amber light goes out (charge completed) stopping charging (even though the DSL is still plugged in).

fatfree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know what's going on... it's called cheap ass, 3rd party (Chinese), copy cat products.

Any products made by 3rd party (Usually China's 3rd party) are crap. No matter if it's cell phone replacement shells, to fake Hori screen protectors, ... they all have one thing in common.... crap OUT.

Also, their product descriptions are usually 90% lies. They also counterfeit products, and claim to be "OEM - Original", but when you get them, you know for a fact they are cheap knockoffs.

I've experience sooooo much cheap knockoffs (all by China) that it makes me angry and racist towards them.... and I'm Asian myself.

BTW, not only are their products shitty, their service is just as bad. They are so eager to sell you products, but when you get them and have a problem, they can be the most angry people you've met. I've dealt with some in person before over a little $4 product, and they stilllllll gave me a hard time... and it's funny, they claim "we will honor you the 1 year warranty". (it was only 2 days when the product failed.... unfortunately, a replacement failed again, I give up)

teh_raf3

Whatever suits you
Trophies
Website
users.pandora.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I know what's going on... it's called cheap ass, 3rd party (Chinese), copy cat products.

Any products made by 3rd party (Usually China's 3rd party) are crap. No matter if it's cell phone replacement shells, to fake Hori screen protectors, ... they all have one thing in common.... crap OUT.

Also, their product descriptions are usually 90% lies. They also counterfeit products, and claim to be "OEM - Original", but when you get them, you know for a fact they are cheap knockoffs.
3rd Party stuff sucks indeed

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isnt Interact and Madcatz making some NDSlite replacment batteries?
Plus Pelican too.
I think they already made GBASP and NDS ones.
I tink I saw some once for those atleast.

I think it it comes to 3rd party, its best to go with copanies like the three I mentioned.
Pelican and Interact make some good stuff. Madcatz too, but they sometimes make a few cheap crappy things. Though then again, the GCN memcard Ive hd from them is top notch :3
But still, Id stick with those companies or ones like them that sell in the US.

084k3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Some batteries need a 'breaking in' period. Means you have to discharge and charge fully a couple of times before they are working at their best. Try using them for a little while and if they still only run for a few hours then you're right, you bought garbage batteries
smile.gif

Topsy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ya I'm pretty sure they're trash too... I was just f'in with the dragon one and the side piece came off
smile.gif
Glad I didn't leave 'em in my DSL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/tP_4p2-HkOo?si=YA0-tpAzP26E-P66