ndsgba cheating

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by codezer0, Jun 30, 2011.

Jun 30, 2011

ndsgba cheating by codezer0 at 1:52 AM (4,562 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. codezer0
    OP

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    In short, kind of a two-part question:
    - So, I downloaded that big pack of gba cheat files from cheats.gbatemp, but even though the emulator does load them, none appear to work from my own testing.
    - I also noticed that archive apparently is missing quite a few games, so how would I make my own that would work on the emulator? One game in particular I'd like help with is Mario & Luigi - Superstar Saga, as I found a couple of codebreaker codes I would like to use on it (yes, I beat the original cart already) [​IMG]

I have tried using the site's built-in search for the topic, but I couldn't find anything... did remember a similar topic that led to a utility to convert those .cht files into something that the emulator would understand.

FWIW, I'm running NDSGBA 1.30 from Supercard Team. Seems to work well enough, though fluidity/speed sometimes I wish could be better compared to actual gba hardware.

2. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    well there's this sticky which basically goes over the cheats

to improve performance (and just straight up make more games work) download v1.21 of NDSGBA and extract the files to the root of your microsd card (an older version, so don't update it). Then, download game_config.txt and put that txt file in your microsd's NDSGBA folder.

and just a note, that game_config.txt is more up-to-date than the one in the sticky, although i think it's basically just japanese games they added

Edit: however i am still having trouble activating the cheats, i remember having this problem before and figuring it out, but i've forgotten again >.>

3. codezer0
    OP

United States
    I do have that game_config txt file already, and put it in there.

I remember another user on these forums posted some kind of utility that could then rework those .cht files into something that would work and be used, but for the life of me, stupid forum search refuses to cooperate and help me find it. [​IMG]

4. Terminator02

United States
    Game_config does not work with v1.30, only 1.21 and lower

The tool for making individual cheats was only usable on v1.20 and prior, the emulator switched cheat format and now only works with cheats in that are in that database

5. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Yea, but what I'm saying is that the ones supplied by cheats.gbatemp don't *expletive* work. It will load up the file, and the cheats show in the list (though I only see like maybe one word of its description), but even If I enable them on a compatible game, they don't seem to do ANYthing. [​IMG]

6. Terminator02

United States
    yeah well, this is the problem i was talking about before with activating them, i'll see if i can find the thread about it, but it was from a long time ago

7. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Can the cheat feature at least support Codebreaker codes? I found a couple on bsfree that I would like to use for Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. It's been a game I've bene itching to go back to after beating it already on the original cart. But I never actually had a Codebreaker device, and at least one of these codes has no equivalent for the Gameshark or Action Replay that I'm aware of.

Namely...
    Code:
    Enable Code (Must Be On)
    0000186A 000A
    10017FC6 0007

Infinite Coins
    820048E0 270F

[b]Hold Select For Stat Bonus Always +9[/b]
    74000130 03FB
    33003F82 0009
    Even that code (bolded for emphasis) alone would make my life going through a LOT easier.

Also followed your advice and went to 1.21 w/ the game_config.txt file. Interesting to me, since the notes on Supercard's site suggest 1.30 was supposed to improve compatibility. But now playing with this version, it does feel more like I'm playing on the actual GBA hardware. [​IMG]

8. codezer0
    OP

United States
    What about a way to make a .cht file for a game that it will understand and use?

9. Terminator02

United States
    i don't really know, you'd have to ask a cheat code dude, all i know is 1.21 and forward use .cht in m3 format instead of straight pro action replay/gameshark codes

10. codezer0
    OP

United States
    I'm talking about how another user on this forum posted about a utility that would convert the existing .cht files there, and then rework them to work on the ndsgba emulator. I also remember something about how you could then plug in CodeBreaker/GS codes into it to compile your own .cht file... which if true, would be a godsend for me.

Most of the games that I want to play with codes on are simply NOT in the cheats.gbatemp file pack. And hell, if I knew how to make these codes compatible already, I'd gladly submit some more .cht files wherever to help that collection grow or something.

11. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Nobody? Or has google failed us in finding the requisite thread?

12. Terminator02

United States
    you know, funny thing, i actually found the program that you're talking about lying about on my desktop, but i'm not sure if it'll work on 1.21+

link: http://ge.tt/8TneSt5

13. syrusch

Member syrusch GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
  14. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Okay, one last question...

In the rare occasion (such as the one I'm mentioning) where there is a code available for Codebreaker and NEITHER AR or GS, is there a way to say have VBA convert it somehow? I know sadly, its cheat files are saved as .clt instead of .cht.