Homebrew [NDS] Yet Another nds-bootstrap Forwarder: more than 40 forwarders are now possible

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Every time I boot the forwarder I created for Fire Emblem Heroes of Light and Shadow I get the bellow message. Any way to stop this message popping up? The message doesn't show if I boot the rom from twighlight menu so not sure what is happening.

View attachment 329909
You are likely booting the game in DS mode on TWiLight.

You can do the same here, by pressing Y while booting the forwarder. I'd recommend getting a clean dump, though, preferably from a real cartridge because the only reason you see this is because of a pirated ROM.

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are likely booting the game in DS mode on TWiLight.

You can do the same here, by pressing Y while booting the forwarder. I'd recommend getting a clean dump, though, preferably from a real cartridge because the only reason you see this is because of a pirated ROM.
I will press y and see what happens lol.

The rom has been patched with English as its one of the few Fire Emblem games that only came out in Japan.

Reactions: godreborn

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Every time I boot the forwarder I created for Fire Emblem Heroes of Light and Shadow I get the bellow message. Any way to stop this message popping up? The message doesn't show if I boot the rom from twighlight menu so not sure what is happening.

View attachment 329909
Use this translation patch: https://github.com/R-YaTian/DSiEnhanced_Translation_Revision/tree/main/FE12

Other patches break the DSi binaries, causing that error. You can also hold Y while loading and switch "Run in" to "DS Mode", you'll just lose any DSi enhancements.

Edit: whoops didn't see the next page, not sure why the DS mode setting wouldn't be working but try the patch I linked

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Use this translation patch: https://github.com/R-YaTian/DSiEnhanced_Translation_Revision/tree/main/FE12

Other patches break the DSi binaries, causing that error. You can also hold Y while loading and switch "Run in" to "DS Mode", you'll just lose any DSi enhancements.

Edit: whoops didn't see the next page, not sure why the DS mode setting wouldn't be working but try the patch I linked
Hey thanks will give it a go tomorrow as staying at my BFs tonight and my 3DS is at home.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Hey sorry for the delay in getting back to you been super busy at work yesterday and today. Thank you for the link one of the patches in the link was called Bad To Good.xdelta and that fixed the issue :)

Reactions: RocketRobz and Pk11

SpaceLion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to add support for fan translations? I've submitted a few English banners for Japanese games to the assets repo (formatted as XXXJ-EN if I remember right), just would be nice if users could check a box and then somehow specify the language of the fan translation they're using.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible to add support for fan translations? I've submitted a few English banners for Japanese games to the assets repo (formatted as XXXJ-EN if I remember right), just would be nice if users could check a box and then somehow specify the language of the fan translation they're using.
I haven't had time to think of how to add it.

There were a few suggestions on which direction it can go, but I've not completely made up my mind on what to do.

Reactions: SpaceLion

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't for the life of me get this to create a forwarder for SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light. Have tried several different roms of it including both the japanaese and English Patched versions and indeed a dump of my own Jap cartridge of the game with zero luck.

Only game I have been unable to create a forwarder for. Anyone any ideas how I can fix this please.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't for the life of me get this to create a forwarder for SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light. Have tried several different roms of it including both the japanaese and English Patched versions and indeed a dump of my own Jap cartridge of the game with zero luck.

Only game I have been unable to create a forwarder for. Anyone any ideas how I can fix this please.
did you leave in the : ?

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the only other suggestion I can think of is to underscore that space. some things don't like spaces.
OK will give it a try later just about to take doggo out a walk :)

Only I don't see that fixing it as saga 2 worked perfectly just not saga 3:rofl2:

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: Do the forwarders load the (.NDS) ROM file straight off the SD card or do they have them embedded?
I don't know about this, but RocketRobz would load them off the micro sd card of the flash cart. I assume it can load them from the 3ds sd card as well. they're not embedded afaik. you used to only be able to do 40 games, because it filled up the twl nand. how this works, I'm not sure. maybe they found a workaround so you didn't use twl nand space. you'd be out of space otherwise as each forwarder was 2-3MBs.

Reactions: SylverReZ

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Question: Do the forwarders load the (.NDS) ROM file straight off the SD card or do they have them embedded?
It's a forwarder. It forwards to the ROM on the SD.

It has to be this way for any method to load NDS cartridge games for the following reason:
- On a DSiWare forwarder, there's too little space on TWLNAND to embed a whole 128MB ROM (which is like, basically most popular games.)
- On YANBF, embedding would mean it is left in an encrypted state on the SD card due to how title installs work, and that can't be read by nds-bootstrap since the decryption key only exists in CTRNAND which is inaccessible, not to mention the performance tank that would happen.
Post automatically merged:

Nah that didn't fix it so I tried renaming the rom to just saga with no luck then I renamed it to game still nothing lol.
Do you have a log? I can try to figure out what's up.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a forwarder. It forwards to the ROM on the SD.

It has to be this way for any method to load NDS cartridge games for the following reason:
- On a DSiWare forwarder, there's too little space on TWLNAND to embed a whole 128MB ROM (which is like, basically most popular games.)
- On YANBF, embedding would mean it is left in an encrypted state on the SD card due to how title installs work, and that can't be read by nds-bootstrap since the decryption key only exists in CTRNAND which is inaccessible, not to mention the performance tank that would happen.
Post automatically merged:

Do you have a log? I can try to figure out what's up.
Was already told about this, but thanks. I know the same is applied to Wii forwarders but was unsure about the DS ones.

Reactions: champsblinder02

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was already told about this, but thanks. I know the same is applied to Wii forwarders but was unsure about the DS ones.
I don't know how this app works, but forwarders iirc were about 2-3MBs apiece, and they're installed to twl nand, which is where dsi games go. there's not much room though, only 100 something megabytes.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu