Homebrew [NDS] Yet Another nds-bootstrap Forwarder: more than 40 forwarders are now possible

Half-Stories

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do you fully delete everything? Not like i don't enjoy it, but i want to clear some stuff off of the SD card, Is there a way to uninstall all games fully, including everything else and the bootstrap that you need to install?

SpaceLion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to make this work through FTP? I have a n3ds and it's a bit annoying to remove the back shell and pull out the microSD card every time I want to make a forwarder. I tried dragging the rom over to the YANBF GUI from within WinSCP, but the GUI doesn't recognize the path I think.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any way to make this work through FTP? I have a n3ds and it's a bit annoying to remove the back shell and pull out the microSD card every time I want to make a forwarder. I tried dragging the rom over to the YANBF GUI from within WinSCP, but the GUI doesn't recognize the path I think.
does the system setting sd manager function not work for your console?

Yrouel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The newest version dropped the requirement to move the micro sd. The GUI should support this as well but from the command line it would be:

Code:
generator -p "/roms/nds/game.nds" -b banner.png -s sound.wav "path\to\the\game.nds"

The first path is relative to the microsd, I suggest you use that same folder structure to organize your roms. The second path is the actual rom file on your computer.
Once the generator has done its thing you'll find game.nds.cia in that folder and you can copy both cia and nds via ftp.

If the game has already a custom banner it'll be picked up automatically from the repository

SpaceLion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newest version dropped the requirement to move the micro sd. The GUI should support this as well but from the command line it would be:

Code:
generator -p "/roms/nds/game.nds" -b banner.png -s sound.wav "path\to\the\game.nds"

The first path is relative to the microsd, I suggest you use that same folder structure to organize your roms. The second path is the actual rom file on your computer.
Once the generator has done its thing you'll find game.nds.cia in that folder and you can copy both cia and nds via ftp.

If the game has already a custom banner it'll be picked up automatically from the repository
Oh lol I just straight up didn't see that you could set a custom rom path in the GUI, that's super convenient. Thanks!

Reactions: Yrouel

vpn69

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi All, I'm having a problem, whenever I try to start a game I see the 3ds splash screen, not the nds bootstrap splash then an error on the top screen

Failed to launch CIA.
Please reinstall bootstrap.cia from YANBF release
Press START to exit.

I've tried reinstalling bootstrap.cia, starting with fresh copy of _nds folder and still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Hi All, I'm having a problem, whenever I try to start a game I see the 3ds splash screen, not the nds bootstrap splash then an error on the top screen

Failed to launch CIA.
Please reinstall bootstrap.cia from YANBF release
Press START to exit.

I've tried reinstalling bootstrap.cia, starting with fresh copy of _nds folder and still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Huh, pretty sure YANBF should use the homebrew splash, not the 3DS one... Have you tried installing YANBF from Universal-Updater? That should get bootstrap.cia and the files in _nds correctly.

Maybe make sure your TWL NAND isn't full, that would prevent bootstrap.cia from installing.

vpn69

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, also tried using Universal-Updater, with same error unfortunately.

TWL NAND showing 137.1MiB free.

Anyway to confirm if bootstrap.cia has installed correctly?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, also tried using Universal-Updater, with same error unfortunately.

TWL NAND showing 137.1MiB free.

Anyway to confirm if bootstrap.cia has installed correctly?
You can check the Titles list in FBI, it should be way down at the end in TWLNAND, iirc they're purple.

I feel like something might be wrong with the 3DS side of your forwarders if they're giving the 3DS splash instead of the homebrew one, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what... and dunno why that would affect it finding bootstrap.cia :unsure:

vpn69

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can check the Titles list in FBI, it should be way down at the end in TWLNAND, iirc they're purple.

I feel like something might be wrong with the 3DS side of your forwarders if they're giving the 3DS splash instead of the homebrew one, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what... and dunno why that would affect it finding bootstrap.cia :unsure:
Thank you anyway, I might try from scratch with the entire 3ds clean image.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to move NDS save files to the cia versions of the games? (been playing on TW a lot)
I think you should be able to using Checkpoint, I'm not sure exactly how Checkpoint backs up DSiWare saves though... If you make a backup and it's a "public.sav" or such then you should be able to just replace that with the .pub from TWiLight. (or the same with "private.sav" and .prv files)

Blard

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that this forwarder isn't capable of forwarding to a flashcart and is only capable of sd forwarding through the ntr forwarder. Is there any interest or even capability of adding flashcart functionality because this forwarder is the most feature advanced I've used and I'd love to use it with better game compatibility.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that this forwarder isn't capable of forwarding to a flashcart and is only capable of sd forwarding through the ntr forwarder. Is there any interest or even capability of adding flashcart functionality because this forwarder is the most feature advanced I've used and I'd love to use it with better game compatibility.
That's correct, I believe it should be possible as this isn't fundamentally very different from the other method, it just splits the job of being an icon and loading the game into separate parts, so it would probably just need a DSi Mode side change to do whatever the flashcard forwarders do.

I expect a PR adding the feature would probably be accepted, but beyond that I can't speak to interest in adding it. Relevant code is in the NTR_Forwarder repo, in the flashcard folders -> twlnand.

Edit: Actually bootstrap.cia just passes off to sdcard.nds from NTR_Forwarder's "SD Card/sd" folder, you would probably just need to slightly tweak the twlnand folders so they're build to files on the SD card like sdcard.nds (ex. sd:/_nds/ntr-forwarder/dstt.nds) and have some way to make bootstrap.cia load those instead of sdcard.nds, probably something in the text file it uses to pass the ROM path from 3DS mode to DSi mode.

Last edited by Pk11,

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A change like that would require edits on both the DSi-side and 3DS-side, for the 3DS to tell the DSi side which forwarder template to run. (maybe with some INI.)

It's possible, but as of now I haven't been able to produce any working build of the TWLNAND stuff for the flashcart. And they will need modifications. So until that gets sorted out we aren't going to get much progress on it.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any way to move NDS save files to the cia versions of the games? (been playing on TW a lot)
For DSiWare games, see @Pk11's response. I can't guarantee success of this.

For regular DS games, the forwarders use the same save files as TWiLight does, since the forwarder CIAs are just a shortcut to the ROMs/saves on your SD card. So no moving is necessary here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated