Homebrew [NDS] Yet Another nds-bootstrap Forwarder: more than 40 forwarders are now possible

SpaceLion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That should already be possible, in the GUI click on the game and it'll be SET BOX ART, from CLI it'll be -b or --boxart.
Actually, on that note, I was wondering if it's possible to slap that image on a more dynamic object, like with NSUI. Even if it's just the generic rectangular prism used by 3ds ambassador gba titles (the one that "floats" and can rotate). Super unimportant, it would just look nice

Reactions: FanNintendo

vanhouten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That should already be possible, in the GUI click on the game and it'll be SET BOX ART, from CLI it'll be -b or --boxart.
I do like that we can use this to change the box art on the top screen, but as a suggestion it would also be great if there was a way to change the lower screen icon for the game.

Anyway, aside from that, I've just gotten around to trying out the forwarder tonight and it works great -- kudos to everyone who worked on this.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, on that note, I was wondering if it's possible to slap that image on a more dynamic object, like with NSUI. Even if it's just the generic rectangular prism used by 3ds ambassador gba titles (the one that "floats" and can rotate). Super unimportant, it would just look nice
At the moment, I have absolutely no clue how this would be implemented. I'm neither a designer nor a GUI dev, and NSUI is closed source, so I don't know where to start.

Potentially, I could set up an option so that a pre-provided binary file of the banner can be used, should someone who has legitimate experience in this want to create their own. But it's definitely out of my skill level, so it's not in my agenda.

Reactions: SpaceLion

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I do like that we can use this to change the box art on the top screen, but as a suggestion it would also be great if there was a way to change the lower screen icon for the game.

Anyway, aside from that, I've just gotten around to trying out the forwarder tonight and it works great -- kudos to everyone who worked on this.
It's not ideal, but you could always just replace the icon in the NDS file using MessAnimDSIcon or such and create the forwarder with that.

That's probably a good idea to add though since 3DS icons are 48×48 15-bit color (32,768 colors) where DS icons are only 32×32 15 color (+ transparent) so a custom icon could look a bit better than just replacing the DS icon.

vanhouten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not ideal, but you could always just replace the icon in the NDS file using MessAnimDSIcon or such and create the forwarder with that.

That's probably a good idea to add though since 3DS icons are 48×48 15-bit color (32,768 colors) where DS icons are only 32×32 15 color (+ transparent) so a custom icon could look a bit better than just replacing the DS icon.
I did try that but unfortunately I don't have the pixel art skills to make a decent icon in that and it doesn't have a file import option. But I do appreciate the suggestion.

Reactions: Pk11

Lufvave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Ok, just tried it and this is pretty damn cool
yeiplaycallofdutydsona3dsyetheycallmetheceoofvirginitydontbejealous-png.300112

Attachments

• YeIplayCallOfDutyDSona3DSyeTheyCallMeTheCEOofVirginityDontBeJealous.png
    YeIplayCallOfDutyDSona3DSyeTheyCallMeTheCEOofVirginityDontBeJealous.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 365
Reactions: FanNintendo

vanhouten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I bring up the per game settings, I see cheats listed as an option. I know cheats weren't usable with Forwarder 3DS, but are they usable with YANBF? And if so, how do I load those? Thanks!

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
When I bring up the per game settings, I see cheats listed as an option. I know cheats weren't usable with Forwarder 3DS, but are they usable with YANBF? And if so, how do I load those? Thanks!
They were just added in one of latest couple versions of the forwarder pack, so now they work in either. Simply put a usrcheat.dat at sdmc:/_nds/ntr-forwarder/usrcheat.dat or sdmc:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/extras/usrcheat.dat and it should work.

Reactions: vanhouten

vanhouten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They were just added in one of latest couple versions of the forwarder pack, so now they work in either. Simply put a usrcheat.dat at sdmc:/_nds/ntr-forwarder/usrcheat.dat or sdmc:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/extras/usrcheat.dat and it should work.
Thank you!

Reactions: Pk11

yelron

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m having an issue with the Activity Log where it’s still logging my time under TWiLightMenu (theres about 1 second under the game I open from the home screen).
Probably related - I see the title card twice when opening a game; is the forwarder loading TWiLightMenu after opening a game?

Lufvave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hi, so I can't get widescreen to work. I initially thought it was because I was using Luma3DS with quick switchers, but after switching back to regular Luma3DS, it still doesn't work. I think I've done everything correctly, any ideas?

Edit: figured it out

Edit 2: no I didn't
So after I thought I figured it out, Super Mario 64 DS ran in WS (widescreen) no problem, so I went to test a game without WS and it worked fine too, but then I started a game that has WS enabled and it didn't run in WS no matter what I did. I tried to run Super Mario 64 DS again and it also didn't run in WS.
I checked the /TWiLightMenu/TwlBg folder and the Widescreen.cxi vanished and appeared in /ntr-forwarder/, I cut and pasted it back into TwlBg and started a game with WS. Upon attempting to boot, the game promtly shut itself down, so I started it again and got an error saying something like "failed to rename TwlBg.cxi back to Widescreen.cxi" (don't remember it exactly, it shown up only briefly) and the game started up normall,y now with WS, tried other games with WS and they work well, but now I have the exact opposite problem, games that are meant to run without WS are all stretched and at this point I have no idea what is happening.

Edit 3: tried to redo this from scratch, still doesn't work, I guess I'll have to stick to switching the .cxi files manually

Last edited by Lufvave,

RookieKid

Trophies
XP
Country
What does "forwarder" actually imply? Does it mean you can only have a limited number of games on the start menu on your 3DS-console?

Reactions: godreborn

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
What does "forwarder" actually imply? Does it mean you can only have a limited number of games on the start menu on your 3DS-console?
It's an app that you're able to install to the HOME Menu that loads a different file (typically a retail game) that isn't able to be loaded from the HOME Menu directly, akin to a Desktop shortcut to a program on PC.

The 3DS does have a limited number of games on the HOME Menu, 300 for 3DS-mode apps and 40 for DSi-mode apps, but that's not related to forwarders. Forwarders still count towards the limit the same as anything else.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, so I can't get widescreen to work. I initially thought it was because I was using Luma3DS with quick switchers, but after switching back to regular Luma3DS, it still doesn't work. I think I've done everything correctly, any ideas?

So after I thought I figured it out, Super Mario 64 DS ran in WS (widescreen) no problem, so I went to test a game without WS and it worked fine too, but then I started a game that has WS enabled and it didn't run in WS no matter what I did. I tried to run Super Mario 64 DS again and it also didn't run in WS.
I checked the /TWiLightMenu/TwlBg folder and the Widescreen.cxi vanished and appeared in /ntr-forwarder/, I cut and pasted it back into TwlBg and started a game with WS. Upon attempting to boot, the game promtly shut itself down, so I started it again and got an error saying something like "failed to rename TwlBg.cxi back to Widescreen.cxi" (don't remember it exactly, it shown up only briefly) and the game started up normall,y now with WS, tried other games with WS and they work well, but now I have the exact opposite problem, games that are meant to run without WS are all stretched and at this point I have no idea what is happening.

Edit 3: tried to redo this from scratch, still doesn't work, I guess I'll have to stick to switching the .cxi files manually
From what I can tell (the widescreen application is not my program, so my understanding of this is rather limited) you should have left widescreen.cxi where it originally was, because the template will handle this automatically. If it isn't applying then something else is going on. My guess is that the file movement code is not working properly.

@Pk11 do you know what's going on?

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States

I figured out part of the problem, I accidentally made it able to put the Widescreen.cxi back to ntr-forwarder but to always check for it in TWiLightMenu/TwlBg 😅

That should be fixed by the attached build, however for me it's now not able to reboot to itself correctly and I have no idea why...

Attachments

• sdcard.nds.zip
    174.5 KB · Views: 44

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I need some help. I don't know the steps from 9 onwards. Could you go into more detail please?
How exactly depends slightly on your OS, but generally just:
  1. Open a terminal, on windows search cmd in the Start Menu
  2. Type cd (with a space after), then drag drop the generator folder onto the terminal window, then press enter
  3. Type/copy paste pip install -r requirements.txt in the terminal and press enter, it should print out a bunch about installing stuff
    • If this doesn't work try python -m pip install -r requirements.txt
I assume the rest is probably simple enough, basically just open the GUI app, choose your ROM, etc.

Lufvave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I figured out part of the problem, I accidentally made it able to put the Widescreen.cxi back to ntr-forwarder but to always check for it in TWiLightMenu/TwlBg 😅

That should be fixed by the attached build, however for me it's now not able to reboot to itself correctly and I have no idea why...
It works now!
But I still have to boot every game with WS twice, as the first time I launch it after playing any other game, it shuts down. Is this normal? (and am I making sense?)

Reactions: Pin1988

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? I...