Nds WiFi settings? WEP or ?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Ringo619, Aug 13, 2010.

Aug 13, 2010

Nds WiFi settings? WEP or ? by Ringo619 at 8:21 PM (7,322 Views / 0 Likes) 67 replies

1. Ringo619
    OP

Member Ringo619 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was just wondering what is the nds wifi settings ? i am using on my wifi router security setting is WPA and says nds does't support this . so whats the settings for my router that works on my nds? does't matter if it has security or not .
    Thanks in advance

2. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    WEP or no security at all, that's it.

To counter this and improve security, once you have set the DS up you can turn MAC address filtering on and SSID broadcasting off.

3. Ringo619
    OP

United States
    Thanks and there 2 more options when i pick WEP i get :
    Security option : automatic, open system, shared key
    WEP key format: ASCII, hexadecimal

which one do i pick or leave it at that??

4. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    For WEP, you are supposed to type in a keyword. After which you will generate 4 password. Use the first password on your DS. Make sure to use 64 bit WEP as opposed to 128 bit WEP.

If you can, can you post screenshot of your router settings on wireless?

5. Ringo619
    OP

United States
    Thanks i got it to work now and again thanks alot

6. fruolie

Newcomer fruolie Member

Denmark
    I followed the steps below, and could connect my nintendo dsi with my router with security setting WPA:

Step 1 – Select System Settings from the Main Menu.
    Step 2 – Select Wireless Communications and ensure they are turned ‘on’. After you have selected ON, select OK.
    Step 3 – Using the green arrows, find the screen which shows Parental Controls at the top, and Internet at the bottom.
    Step 4 - Enter your pin, select OK
    Step 5 – After selecting Connection Settings, you will be presented with this screen. Select Manual Setup
    Step 6 – Select the grey box in the middle of the screen, and you will be presented with a keyboard. Type in your network name. Ensure that you include any capital letters, and other symbols. It is important that it matches exactly to how it appears on your computer
    Step 7 – Make sure you have accurately entered your network name, and select OK.
    Step 8 – After which select the right green arrow until you come to the Security screen. Select Change Security Settings.
    Step 9 – Select the correct WPA setting. This information can be found on your computer, in the file theat contains your internet service provider information.
    Step 10 – After clicking OK, this screen will appear, and click save.
    Step 11 – After your setting shave been saved, you will be asked to test your connection. Before selecting Yes, make sure you are no more than ten feet away from where your wireless router is situated. Testing connection screen appears, and if all goes well…
    You should get a confirmation screen showing that you have successfully connected your DSi to your network.

Now you are able to go online through your router [​IMG]

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Except when using WPA, you're limited to the DSi's functions and DSi games. DS games will not work with WPA.

8. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    There's something 'fruolie' forgot to mention

IF you select [Connection 1] to [Connection 3] You ONLY have 'None ot the 'WEP' security option avaliable
    You need to select [Connection 4] to [Connection 6] (avaliable when you tap the 'Advanced Settings') to get the other possible Security settings

& as Rydian has said -
    Commercial ROMS will ONLY use the settings in [Connection 1] to [3] while in-game (remember these have only 'none' or 'WEP' security) - so you won't be able to download extras (like in Layton games - extra puzzles) even if you can use your DSi to browse the Net through your WiFi

Unless you change your router security to WEP (or 'none' - not a good idea) there is no other way (that I know of) of WiFi connection 'in-game'

9. digipokemaster

Member digipokemaster Innocent Uke

United States
    how do i change wpa2 to wep? on my clear network

10. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    You need to go into router settings and change it there. If you can't figure out then list you router model here or call customer service.

11. digipokemaster

Member digipokemaster Innocent Uke

United States
    ok it very easy to do right? my grandpa set it up and didnt know i couldnt access online play with it being wpa-2. we had it under wep before we got clear wifi he very technology challenged

12. Rydian

United States
    In your start/globe menu, go to the "run" command. If you're on vista/7, you'd use the little white box near the bottom. Type in "CMD" and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

In the black box that comes up, type "ipconfig" and press enter. It'll list a series of four numbers as your "default gateway". Write those down. Go open any web browser, and enter the four numbers (like 192.168.x.x) into the address bar, and press enter.

A login box should come up. The username should be "admin" or blank, and the password can be anything from "admin" to "administrator" "pass" to "password" or "password1", or something else if you've set it differently. Ask whoever set up the router what the password to get into it is, or check this page.
    http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

Then you'll be able to see what sort of wireless security settings you have set up. First make sure that SSID broadcasting is ON, then remember what the SSID is, it's the name of your network. Change it if you want. Turn MAC address filtering off. You will need to change the wireless security type to WEP if it's on anything other than WEP. It'll have you make a pass key or phrase. WRITE. IT. DOWN. After you save the changes, you will need to enter that key on any machine (computer or game system) that you want to connect to the internet.

Then in the game, go to the wireless settings. Have it scan, pick out your network from the list, enter the key/phrase when requested.

13. TFDELTA

Member TFDELTA GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    NDS/NDS LITE -> WEP or... WEP

14. bigllama99

Newcomer bigllama99 Member

United States
    I'm having problems with getting Wifi to work as well. I have it on WEP, but when I test the connection with my DS, it says Error 51300. I have the right SSID and WEP.. I have a DS Lite btw.

15. Rydian

United States
  16. smashdude

Member smashdude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I am having the same problem. I am trying your advice out and the internet seems to be working fine for the DSI but I can't connect tp Wi-Fi and play Mario Kart DS. I don't use WEP anymore sadly so what do I do?

17. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    If you want to keep playing you'll have to swap the security down to WEP or remove it completely while you're playing and put it up again afterwards.

18. smashdude

United States
    Uh but how do I do that? I want to play Mario Kart DS online and most of the options will not let me edit them (not clickable). WEP and SSID is the only clickbale options.

19. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    What's the name/model of your router? Currently, DS games only connect to the internet using WEP.

20. smashdude

United States
    My DSI under settings reads 'connected to (not giving out name of recipient), and then has something listed under Security that is NOT a WEP or another type of W-something connection. What does Mario Kart DS need? I used to play this game online and it worked great. How do you remove security (my dad does not want me messing with his router)?