Hacking NDS Pirating getting too rampant?

Scorpin200

Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shhhh They might hear you
ohmy.gif

deathspawn999

Trophies
XP
Country
i wish they would make a real sweet limited edition dslite. would totally buy that.

as it is im thinking about getting a pink one just because it would be funny.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im still waiting for a basic forest green ;-;
Maybe with jungle leaves.
Even if its bundled with a crappy Donky Kong game, Id buy it.
I dunno, I like green.

skylerj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.koopatorivm.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh trust me, Nintendo and I are square. In fact, if anything, I would say they owe ME money.

In the last two years or so, I've purchased 5 DS's, (fat ds, ds lite, 2 replacement ds's for stolen units, fat ds for my sister). I've also been direct cause of at least 8 people buying ds's that I know in person, and god knows how many games among all of them. That doesn't include all of the people online, through my fan website, that I've encouraged to buy ds's, and to keep the faith and not sell them even in the dark months when it first came out with shitty games and the psp threatening to steamroll it.
Personally, I've purchased over 20 games, which were all stolen. I've repurchased many.

Oh yeah, Nintendo and I are even. I just started using ds roms, and do so without guilt.

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are perfectly correct in claiming that every "illegal" download of a ROM (GBA, DS, PSP...etc) could have been an honest "sale" of that Game or Program. "Could-have-been" is the key phrase.

Just like in my old Economics 101 class where "perfect competition" drives profits down to zero, the you are playing with theoretical math and not the math on the street. One illegal download does not equal one negated sale. Flashcarts & "Chipped" systems have a much more complex impact on generating marketing awareness and word-of-mouth that arguably increases sales in-the-aggregate of a Video Game in most cases.

And here is a perfect example of that, http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=38424
(Flashcart or not, it doesnt matter either way)

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I can tell you right now that as a poor college student there is absolutely no way I would have picked up a friggin' Nintendo DS with software at 35 bucks a pop. The thing just wasn't on my radar.

But because of flashcarts, my fiancee and I both purchased DS's and DS Lites -- as did our next-door neighbors. We go over there a few times a week now for drinks and to throw down in Tetris and Clubhouse Games (games that are pretty much free everywhere else anyway). That's six consoles purchased that would have simply been off the map if not for flashcarts. I realize Nintendo doesn't make as big a killing on the systems themselves, but they're definitely turning some cash there. I actually felt bad that I was playing Tetris on WiFi so fuckdiculously much that my conscience got the better of me and I went out and bought a legal copy of the game. Further, I bought a legal copy of Kart to dick around with while I was getting my flashcart shit setup for the first time (back when our only options were the humongous version of the M3 SD or a SuperCard SD). The fiancee got Nintendogs and Kart for Christmas to keep her entertained in the downtime, too.

The point of this story is that I think there are other consumers who are just like me, and are interested in the DS because of flashcarts, and not the other way around. I see it like a game rental pass, and I've been thankful on many, many occaisions when I've tried out commercial titles on it that were just complete shit. Have you ever caught yourself saying "thank God for the SuperCard, I could have dropped 35 bucks on this herpes-fest" when playing a new game?

The things are just really super cool, and they've gotten me excited about videogames in a way I haven't been since the days of the Nintendo 64. And for that, I'd like to thank those beautiful Chinese bastards that have devoted their lives to reverse engineering a video game console so folks like me can benefit from it.

Ragone

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I support Nintendo on good games, which is only a few over the past year...

There's so much shit out there now I won't bother spending a dime on these garbageware games released every day.

aletorchic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Flash cards are not used for "piracy"only; I started using them on gba as "advanced cheating system" for games I had bought, and to transfer games and saves between pc/emu and gba. I play some games I didn't buy, but for me the main reason to have a flash card is running homebrews; to some extent I already did with gba. Now I'm posting from my ds running dslinux and links.. I think owners of flashcards should rather support homebrews developers by donating rather than be concerned about comm games companies.

aletorchic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Another point that was sometimes mistreated in this topic:
-Comm games makers are damaged by "piracy" ; marginally, almost negligibly, but they are damaged
-Nintendo (hardware) sales are boosted by "piracy". IMHO Nintendo is happy that flash cards exist

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
at this rate nintendo will be out of buisness SOON !!!!Â
ohmy.gif

I very much doubt it. The members of this board are only a very small amount of people that own the DS. Reading threads and the gimmie the rom statements or this game is great you would think loads of people pirated on the DS. People must be buying the games or else they wouldn't still be making loads of them. If nintendo are loosing money they just release a different colour DS knowing lots of people will buy it.

AMPonzi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ROFL, this thread is so damn pointless... I think Scorpin200 said it best, you know what this forum is for, if you want to feel pure and be able to sleep at night free of guilt (meanwhile you just cheated on your girlfriend, boyfriend, or canine friend whichever the case may be) then don't do it.

Personally, and I know it'll never happen, I believe games should be sold at a price based on reviews. In an IDEAL world, the reviews would be honest and couldn't be bought. In our world, well, morals like this don't exist. But think of baseball cards, football jerseys, etc. You pay based on the popularity and performance of the player in question. What if we made the price of each games equal to the US Dollar amount of 4 times the IGN rating? Or the appropriate equivalent of whatever other reviewer site. Charge me $38 for Final Fantasy XII (9.5), but kiss my ass if you think you're getting more than $20 for Mario Pinball Land (5.0). Of course, I'm sure you'd have to do adjusting for different consoles, but you get the idea. Most products are sold based on the quality of the product. TVs, computers, cars, hookers... oops how did that get there???... that's the parody of the music/movie/gaming industry.

In the end, it's never gonna change, piracy will never stop, shit happens, and insert random daoist point of view here. As for this thread, maybe the time you're spending defending your morals can be better spent earning the money to rid yourself of the guilt that's keeping you up at night.

faceless

pink sugar heart attack
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most products are sold based on the quality of the product. TVs, computers, cars, hookers... oops how did that get there???... that's the parody of the music/movie/gaming industry.

most people know that neither tv's, nor computers, nor cars are sold based on quality... they're sold based on several things including the brand name of the manufacturer...

DDRFan2006

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.zonaxbox360.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol, piracy is not rampant. I would say maybe 1 in 100 DS

Assuming ur right, for every million people, 10 thousand of them are not buying games. 1 game is a loss of 350 thousand dollars per that 10 thousand people, and we all know at least over 1 mill ion people pirate stuff... ts a shitload of money.... they are loosing...

just a thought...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: