NDS Pirating getting too rampant?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by IxthusTiger, Oct 17, 2006.

Oct 17, 2006
  1. IxthusTiger
    OP

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    There are a lot of NDS flash products on the market now, much more than there was for GBA. The market wouldn't be so flooded if there wasn't demand and profit. How much is this cutting into Nintendo's bottom line? If you really love Nintendo and want them to keep making games and systems, shouldn't you buy all your games?

Do you think that the current state is severe enough that they should take action? WHy does it seem like they turn a blind eye? How much is too much?

2. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    I agree the market is getting flooded with flashcards... but the real fans buy games as well.
    Heck i have a flash card so i can test games (and play USA games until the european version comes out, Europe tends to get screws more times than USA), the ones i really like i buy them. They deserve to be bought.

3. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Agreed, people need to use flashcarts as a trial and run. I've bought every game that I've liked when I played it on flashcarts. It's important to support the developers because if everyone were like the little kids that think spending $14 on a sd card is too much for a flashcart, no one would be playing anything.

4. GameGeezer

Member GameGeezer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Piracy will continue as long as it can. As China develops as a market pirated dvd's, games, flash cards, etc.. will be regulated like they are in other markets and cheaters will have to pay. Right now China is too big and segmented for trade regulations to be applied effectively. It will happen though.

Enjoy while you can. Just because something can happen doesn't mean it should.

5. lennonguru

Newcomer lennonguru Newbie

United States
    i've spent more on ds games than any other system i own (and i have 11 systems). i also have a flash cart, but thats because a lot of ds games are crap and i play them for about 2 minutes. good way to weed out the junk.

6. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Lol, piracy is not rampant. I would say maybe 1 in 100 DS users even know that flashcarts exist. Whenever I show someone my SuperCard Lite they are amazed at how piracy can even be possible with the DS. It’s not really a big problem as Nintendo is making plenty of money on the DS console and games, more than enough to bypass the current pirates. Nintendo will do nothing unless they start to lose money, which they won't. It’s kind of hypocritical to be posting this on a flashcart forum though don't you think?

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

7. IxthusTiger
    OP

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    I thought it was more ironic that hypocritical. Its technically on topic!

8. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 96hondaex

Member 96hondaex GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'd like to see ll these people that say they buy alot of DS original games prove it with a picture of their collection... I admit I only own 1 original ds game.

10. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Agreed!

And I do own over 10 DS games but thats not to say I don't use &@#$ too.

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

11. 5uck3rpunch

Member 5uck3rpunch Surf Monster!

United States
    Truthfully, the game creators & big companies like Nintendo have been overcharging us for YEARS & YEARS. F them. I can see making a profit but what they charge is RETARDED!!! $500 + for a console!? $60 + for one game, that might suck & have no replay abliltiy? Sorry. They have been raping us for YEARS. The same goes for the record companies.

MAKE IT AFFORDABLE & the regular Joes that work hard for a living might be able to afford a little fun.

(I'm referring to the prices of ALL consoles. Not only Nintendo)

12. htoxad

Member htoxad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    GBA piracy was much more prevalent.
    The lack of a good NDS emulator definitely balances out any growth in flash cart ownership.

13. rezen

Member rezen GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Nice how Nintendo has always offered their consoles/handhelds at $250 or less...

14. RAneo

Member RAneo GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    i own 2 games...

flashcard + superpass + 1gbyte SD memory [25 games + ...] = 85 euros
    2 original DS games = 75 euros

im sorry for the market but..... ¬¬

some people play just for hobby, others for living... i cant afford some things

15. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Actually I think the GBA had more flashcarts but ok. Anyway, DS piracy is not that rampant at all. Infact, I saw a suvey (do not ask where, I cannot remember) and about 1-2% of the people that own a DS use a flashcart. Whereas the percentage is much higher for PSP, like 7-8% of people use ISO's so I am not worried and neither are Nintendo otherwise they would be doing more about it (FW upgrades ala Sony)

Plus, I could bairly afford the console let alone buying games. Sometimes its a necessary evil. Sometimes its just because you have no morals whatsoever. Piracy has been going on for years and it hasn't hindered the game industry particularly badly. The Dreamcast was perhaps the only console to have actually suffered but the games were incredible anyway. The DS is too hard to pirate for it to become widespread. The PSP has mostly crap games and is easy to pirate so that why its popular to do it.

I agree with Suckerpunch that the game industry has been ripping us off for years though. 4 games for the DS amounts to the price of the console itself which is just idiotic. I can't afford to keep spending money on games so sometimes I am left with no option.

16. 5uck3rpunch

Member 5uck3rpunch Surf Monster!

United States
    True. I actually had the XBox in mind when I typed that.

17. melloncollie

Member melloncollie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    God, another one of these.
    Look, every person who uses flash carts is a pirate.
    It does not matter if you use it for trial run of games.
    The fact of the matter is that you'r downloading copyrighted material freely and illegally and then using it.
    If you want to trial run things, go out and rent something.
    If you're so worried about Nintendo's bottom line (which, mind you, is effected very little by the pirate community) then sell your flash cart and go out and rent/buy the games you download "just to try".

If you can't afford the games and the game systems, then you shouldn't have one to begin with.
    I pirate, I won't sugar coat it.
    I pirate because I like to and want to.
    Because I can.
    I can afford some games but not all.
    But if you can't afford any games, let alone the consoles to play those games on then you shouldn't be pirating; period.

18. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    True dat. Nintendo is hardly effected by piracy and until such times as it is badly effected by it, I doubt that any of us will stop.

19. 96hondaex

Member 96hondaex GBAtemp Regular

United States

EXACTLY!!!

20. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    I cant rent games, in Portugal we dont have such places. So how can i try games first? by BUYING THEM, but i'm not rich... therefor i use my card to try it first. Pretty Simple.

Plus USA isnt the whole world, not everywhere we have Game Rental Shops.