nds-bootstrap loader: Run commercial NDS backups from an SD Card

nds-bootstrap:

Thanks to the work of ahezard, Gericom, Apache, Robz8, _catcatcat, and shutterbug2000 and other contributors, we can now load NDS games from the SD card, without any flashcard/SLOT-1 card.

Don't expect high compatibility, but do expect many, many updates.

:arrow: Compatibility listing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LRTkXOUXraTMjg1eedz_f7b5jiuyMv2x6e_jY_nyHSc/edit#gid=0

:arrow: The official Discord server for nds-bootstrap:
https://discordapp.com/invite/7bxTQfZ

:arrow: The thread for the recommended loader (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twloader-ctr-mode-nds-app.448375/

:arrow: SRLoader for softmodded DSis (by Robz8):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/srloader-nds-app-for-dsi.472200/

:arrow: If you're more of a forwarder person:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-forwarder-cias-for-your-home-menu.426174/

:arrow: Link to the releases page:
https://github.com/ahezard/nds-bootstrap/releases

:arrow: Anti-Piracy patch list by Robz8
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ap-patch-preservation.477536/

Also, thank you to our testers:
Historian
JoshuaDoes
thejsa
Alerdy
PokeAcer

Also, a video thanks to Robz8:

And another thanks to Alerdy:

Last edited by shutterbug2000,

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of new games, do we know why Pokemon Dash or Kirby Canvas Curse don't work? They were both early Ds titles, so it's interesting to see that they still don't work despite all of the progress that has been made thus far...

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of new games, do we know why Pokemon Dash or Kirby Canvas Curse don't work? They were both early Ds titles, so it's interesting to see that they still don't work despite all of the progress that has been made thus far...
They probably use thumb, which hasn't been patched yet.

Reactions: Garblant

gansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to disable dsi enhanced features? I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I'm too lazy to look through all the pages here. I ask because when I use my flash cart to play any dsi enhanced game on my 3ds it freezes up, and the games work fine on my original ds. I admit to not really knowing how this works, but I feel like turning off dsi enhanced features could help with compatibility of some games.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to disable dsi enhanced features? I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I'm too lazy to look through all the pages here. I ask because when I use my flash cart to play any dsi enhanced game on my 3ds it freezes up, and the games work fine on my original ds. I admit to not really knowing how this works, but I feel like turning off dsi enhanced features could help with compatibility of some games.
nds-bootstrap does not run on flashcards.
Also, DSi-Enhanced features are already off on flashcards, because DSi-Enhanced games run in DS mode.

gansem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your quick response. I wasn't asking for help with my flashcard, and I am sorry for being unclear in my question. The question was pointless anyway because my understanding of dsi enhanced features was incorrect to begin with as you said.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Robz8 ok i havent used the nighties(Unofficial) since d4f9960, just update dtoday wtf's this weird red/green box screen? is this some kind of loading screen or failure point indicator on games that dont boot yet?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ahh i guess the game failed to even start if i dont see that screen go away? is there a significance whats lit what color when the game doesnt boot from it or?
Actually, games that aren't compatible yet, will still white screen, because they'll still boot.

R-R-R-G = arm binaries loading into memory
R-R-R-B = patches are being applied
R-Y-R-Y = <28MB ROM loading into RAM
R-R-Y-R = ROM booted

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know that some games like Solatorobo wont work untill THUMB is patched in and i check every version (never hurts and only wastes a few mins of my time XD) and it stoped at R-G-R-G and didnt even proceed into whitescreening. even after lettin it sit for 5 mins

zeroultima6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a bug in a few of the games (like 5 or 6) that freezes when in sleep mode or the home menu button is pressed and cancelled, text box glitches to
name a few, but almost everything else has improved (e.g less boot times) on this list (some are still broken).

Does anyone know what causes the bug to happen like a program error?

P.S: I been busy with other games (e.g zestiria)
P.S.S: Contribute to the compatibility list

Attachments

• TWLoader Game Testing List (of my own choosing).txt
    81.3 KB · Views: 437

Roboman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a bug in a few of the games (like 5 or 6) that freezes when in sleep mode or the home menu button is pressed and cancelled, text box glitches to
name a few, but almost everything else has improved (e.g less boot times) on this list (some are still broken).

Does anyone know what causes the bug to happen like a program error?

P.S: I been busy with other games (e.g zestiria)
P.S.S: Contribute to the compatibility list

Well I don't know about these games in particular but I know super Mario 64 ds is broken by sleep mode when you have the clock speed set to dsi. Have you tried these games in standard clock speed?

zeroultima6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did and the bug has occurred (Sleep mode, Home menu button pressed and cancelled), the games are:
A Witch's Tale, Dragon Quest IX, Rune Factory 3, Luminous Arc 3: Eyes, Atelier Annie
Those are the ones are affected (you can test these if want to)

EDIT: 4 USA and 1 JPN

Last edited by zeroultima6,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the compatibility list still accurate or do most/all games work? How to set it up?
It's still accurate for the most part. You need to check what version of nds bootstrap they we're tested on. The latest one is 6.0, so games that weren't tested on 6.0 might work, but I'd say that compatibility is still at about 50/50. Also, if you have a chance, installation couldn't be any easier. Just download the zip, and out everything inside the "for the 3ds sd card" folder on the root of the sd card. Then just go into fbi, go inside the _nds folder, and install the class in the CIA folder. It's been a while so I might be wrong about the folder locations.

Dotmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's still accurate for the most part. You need to check what version of nds bootstrap they we're tested on. The latest one is 6.0, so games that weren't tested on 6.0 might work, but I'd say that compatibility is still at about 50/50. Also, if you have a chance, installation couldn't be any easier. Just download the zip, and out everything inside the "for the 3ds sd card" folder on the root of the sd card. Then just go into fbi, go inside the _nds folder, and install the class in the CIA folder. It's been a while so I might be wrong about the folder locations.

My primary goal are the pokemon gen 4 / 5 games. and they dont work :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway