Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

ka_kui

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
im searching info about hard nand dump for "new 3dsXL" but i dont find any.....anyone knows if there some tutorial to do it, or is the same process that you do with a normal 3dsXL?

many thanks ;)

vulp_vibes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
figured I'd share my internal solderless mod here, I took inspiration from damysteryman's internalized adapter and the numerous solderless mods (most specifically mrtaco's). I loved the clean look and minimal risk of the internalized adapter but needed to be able to use the tool on several xls, so I applied the idea to a pogo pin solution. it's far from perfect and really messy but it definitely works lol, 2.77mb/s read and 2.70mb/s write are speeds I won't lose sleep over :rolleyes:

the materials I used were 30awg wire, prototyping board (2.5mm spacing, 1.6mm thickness), this microsdxc usb reader, this micro usb port (needed to have the front edges filed down slightly to fit), and these pogo pins with which I am very pleased with myself for having hunted down such a suitable part! and also some double sided adhesive foam tape I found in the garage lol, the pressure of the closed housing keeps the tool in place and the garage-weathered adhesive is just sticky enough to keep it from slipping around but not so much that it damages the tool when the housing is separated again. the run with my 3ds was just to see if it worked period, but the pictured 3ds is the girlfriend's, and sure enough it was only nine screws until I was backing up its nand as well :yay: now we can have peace of mind against accidental updates

IMG_20150105_051911.jpgIMG_20150105_050357.jpgIMG_20150105_045734.jpg

edit: also I did this with a $5 walmart soldering iron that I had to file and re-tin twice because the tip was melting, I do not recommend it but anything is possible lmao

Akurosia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a little question: are there any additional testpoints to solder wires to? i need especialy a "new" location for the CMD connection due to the fact that my test point ripped off while moving my soldered wires to the new location...

D

Deleted-355425

you dont have to solder to test points, trace it and find the track is was attached too, you can use a fibreglass pen to remove the track coating to expose the copper to attach you flying-lead too.

nestif

Trophies
XP
Country
I just tried doing the nand mod today and I'm having some trouble.

I keep getting the following error code when ever I turn it on plugged into the card reader(unplugged from PC).
Code:
00F800FE
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000008 00000000

I looked that up and it apparently has something to do with the 3ds not having access to the NAND. It seems to have been the error the GW brick caused.

However when I turn my 3ds on with the SD adapter unplugged then it runs as normal, everything seems to work.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be causing this? I couldnt find any bridged connecters or anything so Im out of ideas. Could it be the card reader?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I just tried doing the nand mod today and I'm having some trouble.

I keep getting the following error code when ever I turn it on plugged into the card reader(unplugged from PC).
Code:
00F800FE
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000008 00000000

I looked that up and it apparently has something to do with the 3ds not having access to the NAND. It seems to have been the error the GW brick caused.

However when I turn my 3ds on with the SD adapter unplugged then it runs as normal, everything seems to work.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be causing this? I couldnt find any bridged connecters or anything so Im out of ideas. Could it be the card reader?
thats supposed to happen if you have the 3ds plugged into a card reader, it should show up as an SD card and ask you to format it (don't though)......but the blue screen is completely normal t see when its to a SD reader

nestif

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh thanks. I thought I had messed up.

I guess the reader doesn't support MMC since it wouldn't show up on two PCs. I'll try another card reader tomorrow.

DryTaste

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh thanks. I thought I had messed up.

I guess the reader doesn't support MMC since it wouldn't show up on two PCs. I'll try another card reader tomorrow.

SD readers that don't support eMMC don't exist because SD-cards themself are eMMC memory. (correct me if im wrong)

edit: you can try to use a multimeter to measure if the connections are working and in the correct order.

DryTaste

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That was one of the first things I did when trying to figure out if I messed up. Everything seemed to check out.
I followed this picture when soldering(ignoring the micro usb).

make sure you didn't mirror the wires in the micro SD adapter, i did that once by accident. (because i opened the opposite side)
Also make sure that the small read/write lock on the SD is not in the lock position.

That, or your reader is just faulty. I use a cheapo SD>USB reader from some shady chinese website which works fine.

nestif

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok i borrowed an sd card reader from a friend and it seems to be working now.

Is 2.5mb/s normal though?

Edit: 2 backups and the MD5s match.

DryTaste

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok i borrowed an sd card reader from a friend and it seems to be working now.

Is 2.5mb/s normal though?

Edit: 2 backups and the MD5s match.

yeah, you only used dat0 right? Speeds van be up to 16 MB/s if you use dat0 to dat3 but its not recommended to do because you need to solder more, i don't even know if there's enough space in a normal 3DS for all the wires.

Samuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Dear all,
It's the first time I post a message here but I follow your site and the forum since many many years. Thank you to the team. I say to everbody hello I'm Sam
Few days afo I make a terrible mistake by accident.
I was working on a my 3DS Xl console which are with 2.7 fw of gateway. I was quite distract and I launch my Samsh bros rom but my consoel was a 4.5 => they tell me to make teh upgrade As I was on the gateway I was thinking that there is no problem to make 8.1 upgrade because I'm in 2.7 which are compatible untill 9.4. => I say OK but since that only black screen and blue light.
I realized the nand hardware modification and now when I connect the sd card reader to my PC I have a Blue screen (youhou ;)) but now I'm wondering how I can inject the back up of my nand (Nand.bin file obtain with gateway). Should I use Win32diskimager and write the Nand.bin File or .....
Could you explain to me how I can realized this?
Thanks in advance

small edit :

before conecting to computer I have this blue screen

Bootrom 8046
errcode 00F800EF
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000003 00000000

Sam

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is the nand dumped with this hardware mod identical to the Gateway nand?
more like, can you dump the nand with gateway and reflash it back with this mod?
So you also can dump a 9.4.0.21 or up systems nand with it and write it back?
yes, they are compatible. It was tested (lost in the first pages, if you have time to read them).
Gateway NAND dump and EmuNAND extracted partitions (using emuNAND tool, with corrected sector0 position) are working fine with the hardware mod.
So the other way is true too, hardware mod can be used as emuNAND.

I'm yet to mod my console, I have an original 3DS and am afraid of opening it fully to access the other side of the mother board.

Maximus1001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have soldered wires to my XL's motherboard and used a multimeter to test the output, with the negative probe on the ground of the 3DS. However, the CLK doesn't show any reading 0.00, compared to ~3.2 for the DAT0 and CMD. Is this normal? I have tried reflowing the solder multiple times and probing directly on the CLK pad on the motherboard with the same result.

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
i has this messange (3DS XL RED)

BOOTROM 8046
ERRCODE: 00F800FF
CFCFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000003 00000000

i don´t now if i has any bad, i try conect the 3ds to pc with a multicard reader... Can it is (multicardreader) the problem?
thank (sorry for me english)

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
Photos

i changed the multicard reader and it now work fine :lol:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422440735847.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422440735847.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 356
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422440755556.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422440755556.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 309
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422440771970.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422440771970.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 362

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson