Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have now tried three...

iMac (windows 8)
Media Center PC (windows 7)
Netbook (windows XP)

Are there any thoughts at all about what could be going wrong? A couple of you asked for pics, so I got them. Any glaring issues?

nobb123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just to jump in here and I think I have the right answer.

If I purchase the Gateway and make a Nand dump, I am not required to use this hardware method to downgrade back to my original dump?

I have no issue with the hardware method but haven't got the tools to cut into the case or any spare sockets so just want to avoid the faff.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you tested different wires, different SD devices, different computer, next step is to try different console, but I don't think you'll like that option :(

nobb123:
Using Gateway, you can make a backup, but you can't restore it. To restore/downgrade, you need the hardware method.

nobb123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you tested different wires, different SD devices, different computer, next step is to try different console, but I don't think you'll like that option :(

nobb123:
Using Gateway, you can make a backup, but you can't restore it. To restore/downgrade, you need the hardware method.

Thanks Cyan. Will order what I need and get to it as soon as I can. I have background knowledge in Xbox 360 RGH so this should be no problem.

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
quick question,

i made emunand 7.0 working on a 4gb sd card.
Update on 3ds cache was getting on my nerves, so i formatted to system settings SYSnand.
some things changed, like my friend code, no friends in list, etc.

Do i have to make a new emunand from the beginning again? it DOES load ok tho.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a possiblilty that newer consoles are somehow blocked from this mod?

Also, any idea why I wouldn't get a BSOD while plugged into the SD adapter (except when the SD adapter is plugged into the PC)? In other words, I am not getting a BSOD unless the SD Adapter is powered.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to make sure I have crossed my T's and dotted my I's here...

I am a noob when it comes to multimeter testing. Could someone help?

What I have done is set my multimeter to Ω (there are a handful of settings here but I don't think it matters which? I generally set to 200, but I will throw a picture down below so people can check it out.

I started with touching each solder point on the 3DS board to make sure I wasn't getting a reading between those (rather, the reading doesn't change from the 1. that it is constantly on). I was not getting a reading between the three points closest the processor, but I would between any of the three and the ground (I do believe that is normal?).

I think did the same for the SD contacts. The only time I was getting a reading was between pads 3 and 6 (again, I think this is normal since they are connected internally). Otherwise, NO READINGS.

Sorry for the dozens of posts. I just feel like I am banging my head against a wall I I don't like taking no for an answer.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright folks... so I shortened the cable since I am reading some people had issues from their cables being too long. This is now really about as short as the cable can feasibly be without having the back of the console constantly open. I KNOW I am seeing images of people's work with much longer cables than this...

My new error:

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

3DS XL boots just fine except when in the SD card reader. It boots to that error when plugged into the SD card reader (but no power).

Another thing I am reading is people having issues with certain SD card readers... So can someone shoot me a link or a model number or SOMETHING of SD card readers that are known to be working for them?

Reactions: mr. fancypants

mr. fancypants

that´s ´Sir´ for you!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright folks... so I shortened the cable since I am reading some people had issues from their cables being too long. This is now really about as short as the cable can feasibly be without having the back of the console constantly open. I KNOW I am seeing images of people's work with much longer cables than this...

My new error:

00F800FE
00000000 00000000
00000400 00000000

3DS XL boots just fine except when in the SD card reader. It boots to that error when plugged into the SD card reader (but no power).

Another thing I am reading is people having issues with certain SD card readers... So can someone shoot me a link or a model number or SOMETHING of SD card readers that are known to be working for them?

nice very nice i say short wires and a good finishing touch

nobb123:

so what can you do with a gateway / r4i NAND.bin?

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried various cables. Latest is an old IDE cables that I pulled four of the wires from (seems the most popular solution on here). I fyou go back a few pages you can see it is mostly me posting my frustrations with this dang mod. Granted, I am no seasoned modder, but I have done XBOX, PS2, Wii, etc solder mods an never have I had this much headache. Nowhere near it.

junn

Trophies
Website
flic.kr
XP
Country
United States
if you're already in blue screen, when you plugged it in your pc,
windows should prompt you to format [press cancel and continue].
or try usbtool
http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/
and see if it can detect your sd adapter.
sometimes windows doesn't prompt me to format.
or try another SD usb reader. like this one.
55-05.JPG
there's alot on ebay.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you're already in blue screen, when you plugged it in your pc,
windows should prompt you to format [press cancel and continue].
or try usbtool
http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/download/
and see if it can detect your sd adapter.
sometimes windows doesn't prompt me to format.
or try another SD usb reader. like this one.
there's alot on ebay.

Thanks for this. I was thinking of going out and buying another tool. I was reading that something that ONLY does SD cards may be helpful. I am not sure I can find anything like this locally (but I am going to try my damnedest). If I cannot, I will buy locally.

I downloaded the tool. Unfortunately iy doesn't detect the reader. :( Just to be clear, it should only detect the reader once the card is in it, correct?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for this. I was thinking of going out and buying another tool. I was reading that something that ONLY does SD cards may be helpful. I am not sure I can find anything like this locally (but I am going to try my damnedest). If I cannot, I will buy locally.

Unfortunately that link isn't working for me. Are you use you typed or copied it correctly?
The link works for me. Maybe it's geo-blocked? ...Though, I doubt that...

EDIT: Ah, you edited your post...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay