N64 - Turning on plays custom sound.

Orphantine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished painting the case of my N64. (Not the one in my Profile Picture.) Problem is, I'd like to go a bit beyond that.

When you tap the power button for the Halo: Reach Edition Xbox 360, a special sound goes off, just once. Is it possible to do this with a Nintendo 64? Possible or not, any help would be appreciated on the topic.

Also, I'm new to the whole idea of forums, so I'm sorry for any confusion or mis-posted thread.

EDIT: I apologize for the multiple threads as well, guess I'm no tech-genius.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The N64 was a pretty simple device compared to the later consoles so the software driven method, as is the case on the 360 you mention, is not going to be quite so fun.
The simple way would be to just put a little sound player in there and trigger it from the power button. You could possibly overlay it into the audio parts as well before it gets fed into the modulator to stick out an RF signal if you do not fancy giving the audio device its own little speaker. For this sort of thing I have not had to do more than a buzzer/bell in over a decade at this point (people tend to only need alarm/warning/thing is active sounds) so I am not sure what goes as far as having a little custom chip you stick in and it plays a song. A quick scan says things have moved on considerably and I am actually having a tiny bit of trouble (read could not be bothered to do more than 5 or so searches) finding one at the lower end that you will probably want for this*. Still something like http://www.nuvoton.com/NuvotonMOSS/...?tp_GUID=652b25c5-ff45-43a2-bc51-17c9c3c7627c or more generally http://www.nuvoton.com/NuvotonMOSS/...?tp_GUID=d2589477-840d-4046-9c3a-2e0e457048b3 might do well.

*I say that but the option to rerecord something might well appeal. I make things work, I do not make them look pretty and as such I should probably stow it at this point.

Orphantine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like things could work. I'll try out each method, and see which works for my case. Thank you, I would've never thought of that.

Also, this is what I want to play when the switch is flipped, just to match the theme of the paint; (0:24 - 0:29)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated