Hardware N3DSXL Not Charging with new port

DeadlySin9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered a N3DS XL of eBay so I could get it cheap, knowing it had a charging issue. I figured I could just use my old 3DS charging cradle to charge it through the contacts, but that didn't work. I checked the pins and motherboard connections before finally putting a brand new port in there, but it still won't charge. I know the battery is good because I charged it in the old 3DS and it retained a full charge, and I was able to transfer things to the new 3ds and play plenty of games. Anyone have any idea why it wouldn't be charging at this point?

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Likely one of the SMD fuses has blown, or the EM filter has failed. Especially likely if the system has been wet at all (Check the water damage stickers)

DeadlySin9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Likely one of the SMD fuses has blown, or the EM filter has failed. Especially likely if the system has been wet at all (Check the water damage stickers)

Water damage stickers appear to be normal. I'll have to test the fuses and filter. Would you happen to know which fuses are for the battery, or do i just need to get testing?

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Water damage stickers appear to be normal. I'll have to test the fuses and filter. Would you happen to know which fuses are for the battery, or do i just need to get testing?
Well I have not worked on the N3DS XL specifically, but assuming that the layout is the same as the old 3DS models try checking the components in the attached picture. You should have continuity between the A-A, B-B, C-C points.

Attachments

• N3DSXLTest.png
    N3DSXLTest.png
    170 KB · Views: 284

DeadlySin9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have not worked on the N3DS XL specifically, but assuming that the layout is the same as the old 3DS models try checking the components in the attached picture. You should have continuity between the A-A, B-B, C-C points.

No continuity between the B points, the others were fine. Considering the connections look solid, seems the thing has failed.

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
No continuity between the B points, the others were fine. Considering the connections look solid, seems the thing has failed.
Well the EM filter has likely failed, but to confirm that its the only failed component you could temporarily solder a small wire between the two B points and then see if it charges with a genuine Nintendo charger. I know some people have bypassed the EM filter entirely:-
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing+Nintendo+DS+-+Not+Charging+Repair+Guide/6884#s29202
https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/buJlx4BXWYPwp2ue
But I dont personally recommend that, IMO its always best to replace it.

Reactions: DeadlySin9

DeadlySin9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plugged in a charger and carefully made contact with a wire by hand and the charge light came on. Ordering a replacement now. Thanks for the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: