Hardware N3DS XL - No Power (Lights / Screen / Etc)

Pooslice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm interested to know what the lights are doing when you press power. if its a faint red. it is a daughterboard

Yes it is a quick faint flash, that last for 0.1 sec perhaps. I will try the other daughter board tomorrow and I'll get back to you then.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ive got my own issues. Console only powers on when plugged in. Changed battery, checked fuses, etc

That's strange. The other working n3ds I have access to doesn't work with power only. It needs the battery to work. :unsure:

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Yes it is a quick faint flash, that last for 0.1 sec perhaps. I will try the other daughter board tomorrow and I'll get back to you then.

That's strange. The other working n3ds I have access to doesn't work with power only. It needs the battery to work. :unsure:
high chance that, it is a daughterboad issue
Ive got my own issues. Console only powers on when plugged in. Changed battery, checked fuses, etc
charge ic from my post

Pooslice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So this is what I know so far:
When I try to start the console, nothing happens. No lights, no screens nothing.
I tried to put in an empty battery and see if I can charge it. It worked. I can charge the battery.
I tried my daughter board in another N3ds XL. It wasn't broken. My daughter board is fine.

I took some pictures of one side of the board with everything except the daughter board connected. I will take pictures of the other side when I have time to.
Can you see if you can notice something wrong?

https://goo.gl/photos/5FjF8ryLxMzvQNAo8

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question, you didn't by any chance use the ground on the daughter board did you? If it's still under warranty, send it off and take a chance. If not, send it anyway. If you have £70 free, Nintendo will replace every component in the 3ds. It's either that or buy parts, or worse, purchase a used or new 3ds.

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
meh, I'd run my multimer on the power line just to check. I'm guessing it is the power ic. I think there's 3

1 in daughter board, - battery controller
1 in mobo near charging port
1 for the mobo. can't check now, my busted n3ds is at home.

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Surely it can only be the one on the mobo right? I mean, the 3ds is still charging. It's just not powering on. It has to be the one on the mobo shorting out in order for the console not to power on at all. Does the top screen light up at all when you attempt to power it on? If so, it's most likely one of those stupid connectors broke at the bottom end of the mobo.

Pooslice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Surely it can only be the one on the mobo right? I mean, the 3ds is still charging. It's just not powering on. It has to be the one on the mobo shorting out in order for the console not to power on at all. Does the top screen light up at all when you attempt to power it on? If so, it's most likely one of those stupid connectors broke at the bottom end of the mobo.

Nothing happen when i press power on. And i mean nothing att all. I will try to clean the board and check everything with multimeter.

dg_dex

Trophies
XP
Country
Check for any tears in any of the ribbons. Other than that, I'm going to assume it's an IC blown. I think that was already suggested earlier in the thread. Good luck.

B33zl3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having the EXACT same issue, tried to do a hard mod solder job was good no splatter or anything. I did however try to power my system on with the battery polarity reversed. I get the same faint red light when trying to turn it on while plugged in. I as you did lifted the black ribbon connectors about 20-45 degrees to remove the cables but i was able to bend mine back down far enough the cables still make contact. I was wondering where exactly did you find your fuses?

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
I am having the EXACT same issue, tried to do a hard mod solder job was good no splatter or anything. I did however try to power my system on with the battery polarity reversed. I get the same faint red light when trying to turn it on while plugged in. I as you did lifted the black ribbon connectors about 20-45 degrees to remove the cables but i was able to bend mine back down far enough the cables still make contact. I was wondering where exactly did you find your fuses?
http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-3ds-xl-fuse.416208/

you need to have your daughterboard fixed or replaced, also your charging IC is positively busted, you must replace that also. sadly, I don't know that part number or the specs of the chip, therefore, I cannot recommend where you can buy a replacement ic, except butchering it off from a bricked n3dsxl

that's exactly how I did mine. see link http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-3ds-xl-fuse.416208/

mrkurtcobain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-3ds-xl-fuse.416208/

you need to have your daughterboard fixed or replaced, also your charging IC is positively busted, you must replace that also. sadly, I don't know that part number or the specs of the chip, therefore, I cannot recommend where you can buy a replacement ic, except butchering it off from a bricked n3dsxl

that's exactly how I did mine. see link http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-3ds-xl-fuse.416208/
So after attempting a hard mod, I went to turn the system on and nothing happened, plugged it in and still nothing, so I put the battery in while plugged in and the charging orange light comes on, if I press power with that light on, it flashes red really fast and then back off. If I press it 4-5 times really fast the orange light goes out and then comes right back on.
What did I mess up. Ive removed everything, checked ribbons, made sure battery is seated, no solder splatter.

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
oh shit ya I did, I flipped the battery on accident when I went to put it in and test the first time =\.
yup, gonna cost you like 15$, check my thread, i fixed mine. http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-3ds-xl-fuse.416208/

the thing is, your charge ic is prolly fried, you cant buy that parts yet (at least from what I know, I don't know the part number so you can order online)

but it isn't an easy "replace unplug wires etc" you need a hotair rework station. i asked the pros nearby our place to fix it.

you're probably gonna fix your 3ds by putting a new daughterboard in it, it will turn on, but it will not charge.

Last edited by leerz,

mrkurtcobain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yup, gonna cost you like 15$, check my thread, i fixed mine. http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-3ds-xl-fuse.416208/

the thing is, your charge ic is prolly fried, you cant buy that parts yet (at least from what I know, I don't know the part number so you can order online)

but it isn't an easy "replace unplug wires etc" you need a hotair rework station. i asked the pros nearby our place to fix it.

you're probably gonna fix your 3ds by putting a new daughterboard in it, it will turn on, but it will not charge.
wait so if i replace the daughter board I wont be able to even charge it still?

Can you link me to where I can find the daughter board?

leerz

Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
wait so if i replace the daughter board I wont be able to even charge it still?

Can you link me to where I can find the daughter board?
That is correct, do check first, what happened your chargeic might have survived. (most likely if you just flipped the battery, and you did not insert the charger)

I did both, flipped the battery while on the charger.

Reactions: mrkurtcobain

mrkurtcobain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is correct, do check first, what happened your chargeic might have survived. (most likely if you just flipped the battery, and you did not insert the charger)

I did both, flipped the battery while on the charger.
Ya because I hadent put the back plate on yet so I went to put battery in and seen it was backwards so it was only on the connectors for like 2 seconds.
Can you link me to where I can find the DB?

B33zl3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, my charging IC is fine. I flipped the battery but had it nowhere near the charger mine has the same symptoms as mrkurtcobain but i killed my battery put it in the 3ds threw it on charge and it brought it back up to 4.12. However, the charge light doesn't go off and i don't know if that's because something on the daughter board or something else. I am currently trying to troubleshoot my daughter board, i already bought a new 3ds so this one is for playing with now. The only thing i can suspect would be harmed from reverse polarity would be a tantalum cap as they're polarized, but i haven't got my smd tweezers yet.

Pooslice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So after attempting a hard mod, I went to turn the system on and nothing happened, plugged it in and still nothing, so I put the battery in while plugged in and the charging orange light comes on, if I press power with that light on, it flashes red really fast and then back off. If I press it 4-5 times really fast the orange light goes out and then comes right back on.
What did I mess up. Ive removed everything, checked ribbons, made sure battery is seated, no solder splatter.

I'm having the same problem as you are having. However my daughter board and charge ic are both fine. So if you can borrow a daughter board to test would be best, cause it might not be what you need.

Does anybody know where the power ic is located? And where there power runs from the battery so I can check with multimeter?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yes, you can debloat the operating system, but in some cases for me it just reinstalls them.