Hardware N3DS XL Black Screen of Death

FoxyGrandyboi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what to do. Sound still plays when I turn it on but nothing appears on either the top or bottom screen. It's hacked (I'm not sure what people look for when troubleshooting) but I have arm11 and I'm using Luma3ds. I was cleaning it and I got a bit more water in my system than usual, but if it was water damage I'd expect the problem to appear earlier than it did. I tried doing a Sysnand backup and restore (figured that would function as a reload) but that didn't solve the problem either. Please tell me if I'm screwed or not, I'd rather just know now. Thanks!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, does this mean that there is still hope for me?

Please refer to this post from another thread about soft bricked N3DSXL that boots up with working sound, with black/blank screens at Home Menu, and LCDs that work only at Recovery Mode and no where else.

I could suggest you try:
- Go to Recovery Mode. Press (A) to try to update. -AND- Go to Recovery Mode. Press (B) to cancel and turn off the 3DS.
- Remove SD card. Turn on 3DS. Turn off 3ds. Insert SD card. Turn on 3DS. Turn off 3ds. Repeat.
- Remove battery & SD card. Insert battery but no SD card. Turn on 3DS.
- CTRTransfer if GodMode9 still works.

Reactions: miss_nakano

FoxyGrandyboi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link. Helps to know someone else has a similar problem. As for accessing godmode, I lost that functionality when I did a sysnand restore. This is probably my fault since it warned me A9LH would be removed when I restored, but I've been using Boot9Strap so I figured it wouldn't matter. I'm worried that my system unhacked itself.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you did a sysNAND restore, was it a (safe) or (full) one?

Also, there is a way to put back GodMode9 on sysNAND when you're in emuNAND. In GodMode9, press the Home Button. Go to Scripts... > [more...] > setup_ctrnand_luma3ds . this will copy your Luma Chainloader setup onto sysNAND.
-----------
Edit: In case you have no CFW at this point, do you have the means of installing NTRBoot through a flashcart?

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

FoxyGrandyboi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a sysnand backup while my screen was stilling having issues. Afterwards, I restored (I can't remember which type, but I think it was safe one) and that's when I noticed my 3DS became vanilla-ish. Just tried reinstalling Godmode9 and it still doesn't activate when I hold start and power. Do you know the directory for the setup_ctrnand_luma3ds file on emunand? It's practically the only thing I can access now.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, do you still have a working GodMode9 on emuNAND (with the SD card inserted) when you turn on 3DS and hold the (Start) button?

https://3ds.guide/finalizing-setup.html
You need the setup_ctrnand_luma3ds.gm9 placed in the [Your SD root]/gm9/scripts folder. Run this script after pressing some asked combo inputs, and this should give you GodMode9 on sysNAND.

In GodMode9, you can manually navigate and looking for it under [0:] SDCARD -or- press Home button , go to Scripts...

Edit - I forgot to mention, if your 3DS does not boot up in emuNAND, check if holding (Select) when you first turn on the 3DS brings up Luma Configuration. See if
(x) Autoboot EmuNAND has been selected.

Edit #2 - We're going to want to attempt a (Full) sysNAND restore if GodMode9 can be accessed.

Edit #3 - After turning on the 3DS, you only need to hold (Start) button just by itself (and not with Power button) to access Luma Chainloader or GodMode9. The same for holding (Select) by itself to access Luma Configuration.

FoxyGrandyboi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't seem like I'll be able to use Godmode9 anytime soon. There's no trace of Luma3ds in the Sysnand. I appreciate the help, but it seems like this issue can be resolved.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't seem like I'll be able to use Godmode9 anytime soon. There's no trace of Luma3ds in the Sysnand. I appreciate the help, but it seems like this issue can be resolved.

Do you have a compatible flashcart that can install NTRBoot / Magnethax? https://3ds.guide/ntrboot
ntrboot-flashcarts.png

If you do, can you try reinstalling Luma,B9S, and GM9?
What happens when you get to get step when you put the 3DS to sleep and press the key combo? Does the LCD work and allow you to install CFW?

FoxyGrandyboi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a compatible flashcart that can install NTRBoot / Magnethax? https://3ds.guide/ntrboot
ntrboot-flashcarts.png

If you do, can you try reinstalling Luma,B9S, and GM9?
What happens when you get to get step when you put the 3DS to sleep and press the key combo? Does the LCD work and allow you to install CFW?
Not at the moment, that’ll change in the future soon. If my situation changes I’ll alert you.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at the moment, that’ll change in the future soon. If my situation changes I’ll alert you.
You're now part of a research into this mysterious and deadly BSoD brick. Check out these other users who is having (near) identical brick symptoms as yours.

Big Problem with a possible Brick on New 3ds XL

3ds bricked itself, can't figure out why or how to fix.

Post Update
On August 22, 2018, gisel213 solved and provided the solution in fixing this BSoD brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: