Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
That won't work. The NNID is linked to the console it transferred to, the info is kept on Nintendo's servers. Formatting just signs you out of it. A console can have an unlimited number of NNIDs linked to it, but just one signed in at a time. Formatting just signs out so you can make a new one or sign into one of the others that are linked.
What will happen is when he tries to use the eShop or any other service that uses the NNID, all his purchased content will disappear off the home menu because the system will delete all the tickets associated when it realises it isn't linked to that NNID anymore.
But why can’t his friend link her NNID back to her console? NNID gets unlinked from it when he system transfers to the n2DSXL; then he formats the n2DSXL and sets it up with his own data and NNID, so his friend’s NNID again gets unlinked.
If he then restores the NAND backup on his friend’s 3DS and links back her NNID, that console will be back in the state where he started from.
Why shouldn’t it work? The NNID won’t be active on both consoles at the same time: he would use his own (new) and his friend would use her original one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But why can’t his friend link her NNID back to her console? NNID gets unlinked from it when he system transfers to the n2DSXL; then he formats the n2DSXL and sets it up with his own data and NNID, so his friend’s NNID again gets unlinked.
If he then restores the NAND backup on his friend’s 3DS and links back her NNID, that console will be back in the state where he started from.
Why shouldn’t it work? The NNID won’t be active on both consoles at the same time: he would use his own (new) and his friend would use her original one.
Oh, sorry. I just realized the difference between linked NNID and signed in NNID. So the system transfer would permanently unlink the NNID from his friend’s 3DS? And how would she ever be able to use it again then? She would lose it for good just to install CFW on the n2DSXL!

That would be the case with anyone trying the dsiwarehax from a console that is linked to a NNID. Restoring the NAND backup on the source console after the transfer would be useless with regards to getting back the NNID!!

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Oh, sorry. I just realized the difference between linked NNID and signed in NNID. So the system transfer would permanently unlink the NNID from his friend’s 3DS? And how would she ever be able to use it again then? She would lose it for good just to install CFW on the n2DSXL!
Yep this is right. If the consoles are both new or both old you can transfer back. But if not you have to call Nintendo and hope that your story is good enough to get them to agree to move it back.

Reactions: Izeman

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Yep this is right. If the consoles are both new or both old you can transfer back. But if not you have to call Nintendo and hope that your story is good enough to get them to agree to move it back.
Good thing I haven’t set up a NNID on my CFW o3DS then in case I have to use it to dsiwarehax some new console.

It this makes me question: what happens to purchases made without a NNID? I thought you could buy games on the eShop even without a NNID (pretty sure I read it somewhere). Are they linked to the console only? What happens to them if I system transfer from it and then restore NAND backup? Will they still disappear since the trasfer linked the purchases to the new console as if there was a NNID configured on it?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Good thing I haven’t set up a NNID on my CFW o3DS then in case I have to use it to dsiwarehax some new console.

It this makes me question: what happens to purchases made without a NNID? I thought you could buy games on the eShop even without a NNID (pretty sure I read it somewhere). Are they linked to the console only? What happens to them if I system transfer from it and then restore NAND backup? Will they still disappear since the trasfer linked the purchases to the new console as if there was a NNID configured on it?
They're linked to the console, and on system transfer they get linked to the new console. I tried transferring with a console that didn't have an NNID (it had pre-installed games) and restoring, as an experiment, but as soon as I visited the eShop they disappeared. I don't know exactly how it works, but Nintendo were too clever to let us get away with duplicating purchases (that was my idea behind the experiment to start with).

Izeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
So I can’t kee
They're linked to the console, and on system transfer they get linked to the new console. I tried transferring with a console that didn't have an NNID (it had pre-installed games) and restoring, as an experiment, but as soon as I visited the eShop they disappeared. I don't know exactly how it works, but Nintendo were too clever to let us get away with duplicating purchases (that was my idea behind the experiment to start with).
thank you for the info.
I was hoping I could use the same 3DS over and over again for DSiwarehax, restoring the NAND backup after every transfer, but I’d have to rebuy the damn game every time :/
I hope the guy won’t use his friend’s 3DS then, otherwise she’ll lose every purchase and her NNID U_U

belisleian

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,
Here is what I did for my new 2ds xl.
Just follow guide for your source 3ds.
Once done, just make a nand backup, backup your sd card.
Then I use Godmod9 to unlink my NNID.
I delete all games installed with cia or freeshop so the transfert would be faster.
Create a new nnid on the source console, purchase Sudoku DSIWARE game.
Follow the guide to cfw the new 2ds xl.
Once done, the new 2ds xl is cfw.
The old 3ds (source) is formatted but keep b9s installed.
Just put back the sd card backup.
Restore nand and voilà.
The source 3ds is just like before with his initial nnid and games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just create a new nnid everytime and spend the 2$ for the dsiware game. That way, you dont have to worry about the good nnid.

So I can’t kee

thank you for the info.
I was hoping I could use the same 3DS over and over again for DSiwarehax, restoring the NAND backup after every transfer, but I’d have to rebuy the damn game every time :/
I hope the guy won’t use his friend’s 3DS then, otherwise she’ll lose every purchase and her NNID U_U

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
The source 3ds is just like before with his initial nnid and games.
This isn't right. When you transfer, every NNID associated with the source is transferred to the target, whether or not it is signed in. You'll find that when you try to sign in to the old NNID you will get an error, or if the console thought it was signed in when you made the backup, after you access the eShop all your games will disappear.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just used one of my spare 3ds's, linked a new NNID and did the transfer. No sysnand restore back (no titles to preserve), no nnid unlinking (since it's a new nnid and I don't mind preserving the purchased dsiware on the n2dsxl) and skipped the luma ctrnand setup on purpose because I'm that kind of stupid.

The transfer only moved system apps and the dsiwarehaxed game. In about 30 minutes everything was in place, and the 3ds clean as new (wiped by the transfer). Now I only have to choose which saves from my n3ds I'm going to inject into the n2dsxl.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,

-avenged-

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hey guys. Thanks for all the comments so far. I've spent the entire night doing this, and so far I've gotten up to the point where I've installed B9S through DSiWare Injection successfully on the N2DSXL. The boot.firm from Luma3DSv8.1 is already in the root of my Micro SD (a genuine Sandisk one), but after installing B9S and powering the machine off, then turning it on (as instructed in Phailect's guide), the system boots directly into the main 3DS menu, not the Luma configuration screen. I can boot GM9 no problem, so B9S should have been installed properly, right?

Any idea why I can't boot into Luma? I've gotten all the necessary files from the links in Phailect's guide, so they should be of the latest versions and thus compatible.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hey guys. Thanks for all the comments so far. I've spent the entire night doing this, and so far I've gotten up to the point where I've installed B9S through DSiWare Injection successfully on the N2DSXL. The boot.firm from Luma3DSv8.1 is already in the root of my Micro SD (a genuine Sandisk one), but after installing B9S and powering the machine off, then turning it on (as instructed in Phailect's guide), the system boots directly into the main 3DS menu, not the Luma configuration screen. I can boot GM9 no problem, so B9S should have been installed properly, right?

Any idea why I can't boot into Luma? I've gotten all the necessary files from the links in Phailect's guide, so they should be of the latest versions and thus compatible.
Hold Select on boot up or delete config.bin from the luma folder.

-avenged-

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hold Select on boot up or delete config.bin from the luma folder.

Hey Quantum. Done. Neither works. Also tried deleted the HomeExt data too. No matter what I do, I can't boot into the Luma config.

I tried going a bit further in the guide and launching Rosalina, but that doesn't work too. Perhaps because my 2DSXL isn't booting into Luma? But I'm pretty sure I got the right boot.firm from the Github link.

Initially I thought my Select button might be busted, but then I remember it worked when I had to press Start+Select to install B9S.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hey Quantum. Done. Neither works. Also tried deleted the HomeExt data too. No matter what I do, I can't boot into the Luma config.

I tried going a bit further in the guide and launching Rosalina, but that doesn't work too. Perhaps because my 2DSXL isn't booting into Luma? But I'm pretty sure I got the right boot.firm from the Github link.

Initially I thought my Select button might be busted, but then I remember it worked when I had to press Start+Select to install B9S.
Did you definitely install B9S? Maybe it failed. What happens if you rename GodMode9.firm to boot.firm and put it on your SD card? Does it boot into GodMode9?

-avenged-

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Did you definitely install B9S? Maybe it failed. What happens if you rename GodMode9.firm to boot.firm and put it on your SD card? Does it boot into GodMode9?

Hey man. No, it doesn't boot into GM9. Thanks for that extra check.

Did I do something wrong? I launched the Sudoku app through the home screen, which led into B9S installer. As suggested, I dumped the FIRM, then shut down, relaunched, and then selected "Install boot9strap", and confirmed. It went to 4/4MB, then showed DONE. And then, following the guide, I went to Exit, which necessitated a force shut down, and then rebooted... Into Home again. Dang.

EDIT: Hey it seems to have worked. I basically redid all the steps, deleted and re-copied the necessary files. No idea why. This happened earlier also when I kept getting a "Sighaxed FIRM not found!" error even though I followed the steps to a T. Re-downloaded/re-copied the files from the same source and it got through.

Last edited by -avenged-,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy