My old CFW N3DS wont boot up with SD card (but does without it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

llimar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi guys, my cfw 3ds doesnt boot with the sd on, but DOES without it. I tried updating luma by replacing the files, the 3DS fails to load the card (i even tried doing it by using godmod9, which works without SD). My SD is FAT32 and its a new fresh card, it always worked fine but after some days it just stopped working.

i hope someone can help me fixing this issue <3

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Have you tried another sd card?
Is the SD card just freshly formatted or is it really new?
My SD is FAT32 and its a new fresh card, it always worked fine but after some days it just stopped working.
If only freshly formatted: have you already tried a different sd card?

llimar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Have you tried another sd card?

If only freshly formatted: have you already tried a different sd card?
its really new and formatted (i bought it and then i formatted it to FA32) i dont really think its the SD card the problem

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok....... but do you have a replacement with which you can test whether it is the sd card or not?
If it really isn't the sd card then corrupted data on it would be the next best guess:unsure:

llimar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok....... but do you have a replacement with which you can test whether it is the sd card or not?
If it really isn't the sd card then corrupted data on it would be the next best guess:unsure:
i dont have a replacement, and its not corrupted data, i can roam any file on my computer without any issue. Does anyone know how to fix it?

xoINARIox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i dont have a replacement, and its not corrupted data, i can roam any file on my computer without any issue. Does anyone know how to fix it?
What brand of sd card do you use?
Did you format the sd card on the pc?
If so then try to format the card on the 3ds:

Put the empty card (formatted Fat32) into the 3DS SD card slot. Turn on the 3DS, and it should say something about formatting the card or whatever. Once that's finished, turn off the 3DS and remove the card.
Popping the card into the computer, you will observe a Nintendo 3DS folder.
If you already have previously hacked this 3DS, delete the current numbered subfolder, and copy the numbered subfolder from your old SD card Setup into the Nintendo 3DS folder.

If that doesn't help, then it could be the sd card itself......or the sd card adapter of the 3ds is defective

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can just run in Powershell chkdsk X: /r (X > your driveletter) and run a filesystem and bad sektor check.
It the card still dont work in the 3ds, copy all data to your PC. Flash the card with the zzblank.img and win32imager to clean the card. Then reformat with gui/fat32formater. Sektorsize under 64gb with 32kb and for 64gb and over with 65kb.
Try the new empty card in the 3DS, if it works and the 3ds folder will be created. Remove the new folder and just copy everything back.

Additional info to zzblank.img:
zzBlank.img replaces the step you take to create a single partition on the sd card mark the partition as active.
Some SD cards (specially if you use it on other device like android) creates a separate partition for other things and that may interfere with vita filesystem.
Using the zzBlank.img eliminates all that possible issues getting rid all the existing partitions on the sd card, create a new single partition and mark it as active.
source: https://www.psx-place.com/resources/zzblank-img.941/

Last edited by Sypherone,
Reactions: xoINARIox

llimar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can just run in Powershell chkdsk X: /r (X > your driveletter) and run a filesystem and bad sektor check.
It the card still dont work in the 3ds, copy all data to your PC. Flash the card with the zzblank.img and win32imager to clean the card. Then reformat with gui/fat32formater. Sektorsize under 64gb with 32kb and for 64gb and over with 65kb.
Try the new emty card in the 3DS, if it works and the 3ds folder will be created. Remove the new folder and just copy everything back.
hi! thank you for the suggestion, i just did it and it isnt working. Even a BLANK FAT32 65kb formatted will not be recognized by the 3DS, so im start thinking its the SD the problem, or could be the adaptor?

llimar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi! thank you for the suggestion, i just did it and it isnt working. Even a BLANK FAT32 65kb formatted will not be recognized by the 3DS, so im start thinking its the SD the problem, or could be the adaptor?
Try the new emty card in the 3DS, if it works and the 3ds folder will be created. Remove the new folder and just copy everything back.
i just tried a new sd card and it wont work, "unable to read sd card" and the lock protection its not turneed on :(

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Then it might be the adapter, if you search the forum there should appear some threads with similar problem.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
??? If your 3DS cant any Card how you say, then the Cardslot/Adapter of the 3DS might be corupted.
Check inside the Cardslot the pins if they look fine, have same high and not one is bent. you might look here: old 3DS Card slot pins.
20220617_101450_2.jpg

EDIT: It might also a contact is corroded. It will looked much lighter yellow than the rest of the pins. Get a micro-SD adapter, pull over a thin cloth and cycled it in and out of the 3DS about 15 times.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend checking the sd card for errors with h2testw (with the read & write setting), to make sure it's not faulty or defective. Backup any data before doing the test.
You'd need to format it as FAT32 32kb clusters before and after the test (it has to be empty).
- If it passes the test, format it and copy your files again to it.
- if it doesn't pass the test, then it's faulty and you need to get a new replacement sd card.

I'd also suggest using a different sd card adapter.

Then put Luma3DS on the sd card and try again.

llimar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would recommend checking the sd card for errors with h2testw (with the read & write setting), to make sure it's not faulty or defective. Backup any data before doing the test.
You'd need to format it as FAT32 32kb clusters before and after the test (it has to be empty).
- If it passes the test, format it and copy your files again to it.
- if it doesn't pass the test, then it's faulty and you need to get a new replacement sd card.

I'd also suggest using a different sd card adapter.

Then put Luma3DS on the sd card and try again.
i will check for errors with h2testw, but keep in mind that i tried multiple SDs (even without adaptor), all formatted to FAT32, and simply the Nintendo can't read them, and can't create a Nintendo folder on them. Its not the SD reader itself, i think this problem occurred since the Nintendo has been hacked.

I already made a backup of the prevorious data, but keep in mind that it's pointless to copy/paste these files if the N3DS can't read the SD at first.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think this problem occurred since the Nintendo has been hacked.
Did you install cfw yourself?
Was the sd card being recognized, and working as it should? like installing cias etc.?
You were using this very same sdcard & sd card adapter?
I already made a backup of the prevorious data, but keep in mind that it's pointless to copy/paste these files if the N3DS can't read the SD at first.
Don't put anything on the sd card after you do the test and is formatted, other than the 2 Luma3DS files.

llimar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Was the sd card being recognized, and working as it should? like installing cias etc.?

Don't put anything on the sd card after you do the test and is formatted, other than the 2 Luma3DS files.
Yes, the installation went really good, i could install cias with FBI, and all seemed very good. After a while i turned it on and my Nintendo simply doesnt boot, i tried removed the card and it booted. And yes i was using the very same card and i also purchased another card with more size (to have more games) and all worked perfectly, i basically copied the files to the new sd. Now no SD can be read :/

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the 3DS wasnt used a long time, it might also a contact is corroded. It will looked much lighter yellow than the rest of the pins. Get a micro-SD adapter, pull over a thin cloth and cycled it in and out of the 3DS about 15 times.

llimar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

i just checked the SD and no errors have been found. I fomatted it again and put the two Luma boot files (latest version from github) and still nothing.

llimar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If the 3DS wasnt used a long time, it might also a contact is corroded. It will looked much lighter yellow than the rest of the pins. Get a micro-SD adapter, pull over a thin cloth and cycled it in and out of the 3DS about 15 times.
no bro i didnt use it for about a month. Its not a reader issue because it always worked very fine. I really think this problem occured since the Nintendo has been hacked.

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If u think its a software problem, its possible to (re)install the 3DS firmware. BUT there is actually a new firmware out 11.16 wich requires luma 11.0 to be installed before. The runnig version of luma can be seen by holding select at system boot. If you are on 11.0 you can boot in to recovery menu by holding L+R+A+up(D-PAD) untill the menu appears. And force to perform a re/installing of the firmware update.
For testing purpose it would also be possible to boot the 3DS without Luma CFW, but therefore it needs to have nativ firm to be on a SDCard :/

If u really might think its a cfw problem. You can get also a clean system by removing the hax (wich i clearly not recommend), but the 3ds has to be hacked again for cfw after the boot9strap rom is removed. Godemode9 has a option therefore.

Reactions: CoolMe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?