OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AdamBrunt said:
Simo75 said:
My procedure has been this:
1) With HBC and cIOS rev08 installed i upgrade to firmware 4.0 from Nintendo system menu
2) then i have lanched this from HBC -> http://www.yafaze.com/wii/menu4.0hack.html
yes (with patch) to IOS60 and IOS61..no to Wiishop.
Perfect..my Wii now is homebrew/vc/wiiware/trucha/sd certified.
Excused my very bad English.
biggrin.gif

Ok I am on 3.2E (with the Oct ISO and shop fix). I have HBC installed. How do I know if I have cIOS rev08 installed ?

At step (2), above, did you do Method 1 OR Method 2 OR BOTH ?

Also, if I am not particularly interested in playing WiiWare/VC of an SD card but do want to make sure (a) all my homebrew, backups work and (b) I have all the latest IOSs for future games ... do I need to do this anyway ?

You can test Ciosrev 8 is installed by using BackupLauncher from wiigator.....if it loads backups your good too go (plus you could try just installing Ciosrev8 anyhow)

Use Method 1, this gives you latest ios files for future games...................both methods make the SD funtions work btw

@shane -

No im not up early............. i havent slept yet....been slaving here all day since about umm 7am till now (4:50am Brisbane)

aruek_ca18det

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am updating ... right now 45 has passed sinces I started the procedure... the odd thing I can see is that the installation is going over the same thing for second time... it is that normal?
wacko.gif

edito: sorry guys it did finish...
biggrin.gif

Simo75

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
AdamBrunt said:
Simo75 said:
My procedure has been this:
1) With HBC and cIOS rev08 installed i upgrade to firmware 4.0 from Nintendo system menu
2) then i have lanched this from HBC -> http://www.yafaze.com/wii/menu4.0hack.html
yes (with patch) to IOS60 and IOS61..no to Wiishop.
Perfect..my Wii now is homebrew/vc/wiiware/trucha/sd certified.
Excused my very bad English.
biggrin.gif

Ok I am on 3.2E (with the Oct ISO and shop fix). I have HBC installed. How do I know if I have cIOS rev08 installed ?

At step (2), above, did you do Method 1 OR Method 2 OR BOTH ?

Also, if I am not particularly interested in playing WiiWare/VC of an SD card but do want to make sure (a) all my homebrew, backups work and (b) I have all the latest IOSs for future games ... do I need to do this anyway ?
Method 3.
biggrin.gif

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the quick reply kongsnutz.

I have a chipped wii so have needed to install wiigator backup launcher (I use GeckoOS if the modchip doesn't run the game via the game channel). Where do I get Ciosrev8 from ?

Method 1 patches ALL the IOS so that trucha signed backups work, right ?

Also, if I understand this thread correctly ... under 4.0, HBC, homebrew apps and GeckoOS still work but Starfall at the moment does not. Since I use Starfall to block updates, I would need to return to using "update blocker" on the ISO images before burning, yes ?

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aruek_ca18det said:
I am updating ... right now 45 has passed sinces I started the procedure... the odd thing I can see is that the installation is going over the same thing for second time... it is that normal?
wacko.gif

The nintendo update and waninkoko's update can take a while yeh..........the doing the same thing over is normal..........

Adambruntthanks for the quick reply kongsnutz.

I have a chipped wii so have needed to install wiigator backup launcher (I use GeckoOS if the modchip doesn't run the game via the game channel). Where do I get Ciosrev8 from ?

Method 1 patches ALL the IOS so that trucha signed backups work, right ?

Also, if I understand this thread correctly ... under 4.0, HBC, homebrew apps and GeckoOS still work but Starfall at the moment does not. Since I use Starfall to block updates, I would need to return to using "update blocker" on the ISO images before burning, yes ?

You need to obtain the ios36rev8 installer from http://wii.waninkoko.info and then IOS36-64-v1042.wad from somewhere (google)

put the wad on the root of the sd card and run the installer using HBC.

Method 1 does not patch all (it relaces all with new nintendo official ones), it only patches IOS60 for trucha........ (which is enough too boot trucha games from disc channel using your mod-chip) if you want your old patches still plus IOS60 use Method 2

In other words.........they both work great just choose one and follow it

###NO MORE ANSWERS FROM ME TONIGHT###

it's currently 5am and i haven't slept, i have also been here since 7am yesterday answering questions, will continue from here later today when i wake up........NIGHT

GameGeek

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
kongsnutz said:
GameGeek said:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will not install the update for now. I will wait until an app like that gets developed, as (unless I'm wrong) it would eliminate the risk of banner bricking your Wii.

It won't eliminate it at all.

read the first post and see why

QUOTE(kongsnutz @ Mar 26 2009, 11:00 AM)
Because the Wii will run games from SD doesn't mean it avoids the risk of banner bricks, the wii still loads the games into memory before running them.

I had read that part, but assumed that the explanation didn't take into account the possibility of an app installing the wads directly into the SD...

Oh bummer...
frown.gif

Raziel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone else not able to run unoffical snes wads (like Super Mario Allstars)? my wiiware wads install and play fine, but my snes wads install but just won't play, they keep restarting my wii.

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I installed and all ok but is it correct that with wiiware or vc wads i must install with wad manager first then move to sd to be able to run from the sd card?
Im pretty sure i cant just put the wads on the sd card and run from there can i?

Cheers

greenchili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey me again... I'm back... last message I saw was concerning needing 300 blocks free. I have 1237. The IOS60 seems to install just fine if I tell it NOT to patch it. But when I tell it to patch it locks up after getting to 15/15 on the download of the IOS60.

When I tell it not to patch it runs all the way thru, but obviously does not have the TRUCHA patch.

Still not luck after reinstalling 249 like you suggested.

Hmm tried icefire's system menu 4.0 installer and it gets stuck on IOS60 as well. There has got to be something interfering with patching of IOS60 on my Wii... Odd..

climo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can this be used on 3.4U? I already installed cIOS Rev8 with no issues. So am I good to upgrade to 4.0?

Also....anyone on 4.0...does DVD dumper still work? I use this app alot.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raziel5000 said:
anyone else not able to run unoffical snes wads (like Super Mario Allstars)? my wiiware wads install and play fine, but my snes wads install but just won't play, they keep restarting my wii.

All my snes ones work 100% even the injected ones, patch the wads to your system region before installing and try again use "freethewads"

shanefromoz said:
I installed and all ok but is it correct that with wiiware or vc wads i must install with wad manager first then move to sd to be able to run from the sd card?
Im pretty sure i cant just put the wads on the sd card and run from there can i?

Cheers

ATM there is no way to install a wad directly to sd, Waninkoko i believe is working on adding this to wadmanager. So yeh first to system menu and then to SD.....................however if you're worried about banner bricks........instaling them directly to sd still probably won't avoid this as the games are stil unpacked to wii before playing anyway.

QUOTE(greenchili @ Mar 28 2009, 12:28 AM)
Hey me again... I'm back... last message I saw was concerning needing 300 blocks free. I have 1237. The IOS60 seems to install just fine if I tell it NOT to patch it. But when I tell it to patch it locks up after getting to 15/15 on the download of the IOS60.

When I tell it not to patch it runs all the way thru, but obviously does not have the TRUCHA patch.

Still not luck after reinstalling 249 like you suggested.

Hmm tried icefire's system menu 4.0 installer and it gets stuck on IOS60 as well. There has got to be something interfering with patching of IOS60 on my Wii... Odd..

i'm looking into a solution for you, there is definitely something up with your patching, could be a network issue, can you try using a Nintendo Wifi dongle at all?

@Climo, yes i went from 3.4, as long as you have CIOS and HBC you're fine.

Yes dvd dumper works.........only requires Cios249 installed which you say you have.........good luck

@Green and anyone else that has issues installing IOS60 here is a temp fix.

Download Waninkoko's System Menu Patcher (this only temp patches the system menu to use IOS249)
run it via HBC then you can run any wads on your sd card......
you will need to run the patcher everytime you want to load a SD wad game.

Looking for a more perminant fix atm.....

dagreenone

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I followed this install guide exactly. Works Great! Thank you.

Everything is exactly like it was on 3.2U, I can moved both legit and non-legit to the SD card and play off of it. All the homebrew, emulators and backup launchers still work like a charm.

I only have 2 issues.

1.) The booting with "hooks" option on Gamma brings an error. Booting directly from Gamma works fine, so this isn't really that big of a deal. Madworld works now! I don't have the 002 error like before.
smile.gif

2.) I get a libfat ret=-1 error when using the wadmanager. I thought that maybe it was because I was using wadmanager 1.1 all this time and just now realized it. However when I put 1.3 on my card I still get the libfat ret= -1 error.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
reformat your sd card........... or usb

ret -1 is a problem reading the device, not a CIOS error at all

Booting with hooks isn't possible atm

wiiluver135

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really a torn atm about this guide, on one side I want to do it VERY BADLY because I want to be able to use my Wii shop Channel again and my Wii Speak Channel again, but I don't want to do it because I lose my starfall previlages and I'm not sure if once your on 40u that you can downgrade back to 3.2u using the Oct23rd Fix guide...what should I do, I really wanna chat with my friends again but I don't wanna get a brick! *n00bish scream* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
wacko.gif

dagreenone

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!

The SD card and channel were working fine with whatever it was formated to before the update. Is there anything different or special I need to format it to now because of the update?

Fat32?

My card is a transcend 4gb non-sdhc card, btw.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dagreenone said:
Thanks!

The SD card and channel were working fine with whatever it was formated to before the update. Is there anything different or special I need to format it to now because of the update?

Fat32?

My card is a transcend 4gb non-sdhc card, btw.

Hmm thats the problem, the wii doesn't like non SDHC 4gb cards........... can you use it in system memory? or is it just it doesnt work in WadManager

Posts merged

QUOTE(Bloodlust @ Mar 28 2009, 04:57 AM) Hey, has anybody tried method 1 or 2 with a JPN Wii updated with JPN firmware and got bricked??

I was planning on trying it out today until I saw this : [url=http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143495&st=0]http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=143495&st=0[/url]

USE METHOD 1 on JAP wii (Waninkoko's updater only does the USA and EUR menu update as far as i know) Method one downloads your region one from nintendo

dagreenone

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It has always worked. The key to getting nonSDHC cards to work in the system memory (before the update) was to just put enough games, music, files etc. so that the freespace wouldn't be recognized as being over 2 gigs.

This was discovered last october on CAG, here is the original thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199730

I'm reformatting now to see if it will changes anything.

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dagreenone said:
It has always worked. The key to getting nonSDHC cards to work in the system memory (before the update) was to just put enough games, music, files etc. so that the freespace wouldn't be recognized as being over 2 gigs.

This was discovered last october on CAG, here is the original thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199730

I'm reformatting now to see if it will changes anything.

That's correct man, however in 4.0 Nintendo Added SDHC and now that means they changed how it reads cards.

they may have broken that workaround by adding SDHC

My advice is go grab a cheap SDHC card, i got a 4gb one for 20 bucks in aus........so yeh cheap as

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean why is mcdonalds food overpriced
    Inflation and greed
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's just fries, make 'em at home
    +2
    I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I make potato wedges at home with spices and stuff lol