Hardware My Switch can't do more than 50mbps, is that supposed to happen?

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBATemp, several months ago I had my WiFi upgraded to 50mbps download/upload on both a 2.4 and 5GHz bands, the former would usually do 20mbps and the latter do the full 50, WiFi speeds were identical for all my devices, including my Switch. Recently I had it upgraded again to 100mbps, and all my devices are displaying speeds around that number - except my Switch. My Switch is never displays anything above 52 mbps to be exact, regardless of distance or time of day. My Switch is less than 10 feet from my router but even then I've brought it right next to it in handheld mode to make sure there was no interference. Is the adapter just so horrible or is something else wrong? Thanks.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't have a Nintendo Switch (I looked the thread in the recents tab on the main page)… but I guess it's because the WiFi card.
Possibly the WiFi card has some kind speed limit for uploading and downloading. Maybe is advertised to be around the 70mbps, but those must be flop numbers, and the limit goes down to 50mbps.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here - my Switch only download between 27 mbps, even I have 200 mbps internet plan and it was next to my router.

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello GBATemp, several months ago I had my WiFi upgraded to 50mbps download/upload on both a 2.4 and 5GHz bands, the former would usually do 20mbps and the latter do the full 50, WiFi speeds were identical for all my devices, including my Switch. Recently I had it upgraded again to 100mbps, and all my devices are displaying speeds around that number - except my Switch. My Switch is never displays anything above 52 mbps to be exact, regardless of distance or time of day. My Switch is less than 10 feet from my router but even then I've brought it right next to it in handheld mode to make sure there was no interference. Is the adapter just so horrible or is something else wrong? Thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

First world problems Australian nbn is lucky to reach 30 mb/s

ryuku32

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
scottn.us
XP
Country
United States
DNS helps connection time, it doesn't help transfer speed.

Testing with 1.1.1.1, 4.2.2.2, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9, and my isps resolvers, they all returned different nodes in the Akamai network. Therefore, it could help if there is high load on one's path.

50Mbps seems to be an application limitation. I can get "test internet" page to show over 100, but actual eShop downloads only go up to 50Mbps. I have 500Mbps connection.

Reactions: hippy dave

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Well, downloading on Switch from Nintendo's servers is going to be limited because it's on their end, just like how it is with the other companies. They have millions of people accessing their servers on a daily basis, so they limit the bandwidth of each consumer so they don't get overloaded. Even then, they still can, like on Christmas, simply because there's just too many people trying to connect.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, downloading on Switch from Nintendo's servers is going to be limited because it's on their end, just like how it is with the other companies. They have millions of people accessing their servers on a daily basis, so they limit the bandwidth of each consumer so they don't get overloaded. Even then, they still can, like on Christmas, simply because there's just too many people trying to connect.
I was mainly talking about online play, the higher the speeds the better.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I was mainly talking about online play, the higher the speeds the better.
Latency is more important to online play than bandwidth, but that's going to be an issue between you and other players because most of it is P2P. Nintendo's servers, much like the rest, only really handle matchmaking.

Reactions: aykay55

bigretromike

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Its all about how you have your wifi configured on router. Switch supports: IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, so the best speed you will get when you setup AC (5GHz) wifi network on your router, and connect to that one. If you have configured it as N probably which aint real N (2 antenas etc). Try AC. But then again. You shouldn't worry about this much.

Also not that the console world use their own 'speed test' servers. So you can have 200/200 on your site, and then 10/10 on your switch. They aint the best (same goes to sony test servers).

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can get "test internet" page to show over 100

That is on the switch right? I don't know how accurate that is, or what it is trying to measure.

I don't have broadband that quick and I don't download from eShop, but you may be hitting limits on their server, on the link between your ISP and eShop, a limit on your router or maybe a CPU or flash limit in the switch.

You need to be on 5ghz to get the best speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1