My sd card ran out of space, any good sd cards I could buy?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MasterViper81, Feb 3, 2017.

1. MasterViper81
    OP

MasterViper81 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    The Rice Fields
    My sd card only has 8gb and it ran out of space while I was downloading a cia on to it. Any recommendations? I want something like 32GB+.

2. Shikkichu

Shikkichu Just a Pika Girl~

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    I do not know if links are allowed, so just search this on Amazon SanDisk ULTRA PLUS 64GB SDXC Card UHS-I Class 10 80MB/s
    This is a great card, just remember to format FAT32 with tools like easepartition

MasterViper81 likes this.
  3. MasterViper81
    OP

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    The Rice Fields
    Ok, thanks. But why do you have to format FAT32? What even does that do? Oh, and can you transfer the save data from one sd card to another?

4. Ricken

Ricken We'll Carry On

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    3DS can only read FAT32. You can do all the data transfer by just copying files from card to card :)

5. MasterViper81
    OP

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    The Rice Fields
    Oh, ok thanks.

Ricken likes this.
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Personally, I can't even fill my 32GB card, so I recommend a 32GB card, formatted as FAT32 with 32KB cluster size. They're cheap and give you more than enough room for apps and games. Now if you start an NDS collection going with TWLoader, then I can see a 64GB card being warranted. (Formatted with 64KB clusters.

7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Buy one in a store, I suggest a high speed Sandisk.
    Seriously, even from Amazon, there's still a risk of getting a fake one.

wormdood likes this.
  8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    32GB should more than suffice. It's what I use.

9. Jackson Ferrell

Jackson Ferrell Naked Banana

Nov 28, 2015
    Australia
    I filled my 64GB one in two days :rofl: I like data hoarding

10. vinstage

vinstage Zero Fucks Given

Jan 24, 2017
    United Kingdom
    In store, try go for a well known retailers. As for size, depends on what you do with it, really.

If you like to collect a load of games then you'd probably want to go for a large, high speed.
    If you're only after a couple of games, then you'd probably only need a 32GB, if that.

In store is your safest bet though, always gone in store to buy SD cards, although the pricing may not be the cheapest, it's the safest option. :)

11. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    it is allwoed, only links to warez sites are forbidden (or advertisement without permission)

12. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    I recommend the 256GB Samsung card.

13. V0ltr0n

V0ltr0n GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    As Shikkichu suggested, the 64gb sandisk is the best bang for your buck. 20usd on amazon. Make sure the one you get it distributed by amazon. Never trust a 3rd party seller.

Last edited by V0ltr0n, Feb 5, 2017
  14. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBATemp Enthusiast

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    Why do you want a 256 gb sd, because really, what are you going to store in 256 gb?

15. MasterViper81
    OP

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    The Rice Fields
    I'm probably going to stick with the 64gb sandisk. That's the one I've been looking at anyway. Thanks for all the help!

16. Shikkichu

Shikkichu Just a Pika Girl~

Jan 28, 2017
    Switzerland
    Wherever my Pikachu is.
    If you are using EaseUSPartition, make sure to set it to Fat32 - 32KB Cluster when formatting, (Just because any SD over 32GB is considered "exFAT" or something) and leave the drive as the Primary and not Logical, as you can see from my old card, it should match.
    [​IMG]

Why did it double post?

Last edited by Shikkichu, Feb 7, 2017
  17. MasterViper81
    OP

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    The Rice Fields
    That helps a lot thanks!

Shikkichu likes this.
  18. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    SanDisk and Samsung tend to be the best brands for SD cards. Make sure it's Class 10 and at least UHS-1 (Ultra High-Speed, if I remember correctly), though I prefer UHS-3 but it's not really necessary for the 3DS as I don't believe it can utilise the extra speed.
    I personally use SandDisk Ultra and Samsung Pro cards, but Samsung Evo cards are also a good choice. I'm thinking of microSDs though - I'm not sure if you have an old 3DS or a New 3DS.

If you buy one bigger than 32GB (i.e. 64GB, 128GB, 256GB) and have formatted it to FAT32, put the new card into your 3DS to "initialise" it (technically it's not initialising it since you've already formatted it beforehand, but anyway), then transfer all the files from the old card to the new one (preferably make a backup of the old card first, just in case) and overwrite/merge everything that it asks about.

Then on your new SD card, go to Nintendo 3DS/<long-ass-string-of-numbers-and-letters>/ and there should be two folders inside, also with a bunch of random letters and numbers. If you check the size of these, one will be rather large compared to the other. The large one is from your old card and the small one is from your new card.
    Open both folders and copy/move all the files/folders from the old SD card's folder (the one with the bigger file size) to the new SD card's folder (the one with the smaller file size), overwriting/merging everything.
    Then just delete the old SD card's folder (I suggest making a backup of the old SD card, then you can just move the files and then you'll have an empty folder so that you know exactly which one to delete), and it should work.

I think there might be some more steps if you have A9LH/CFW installed but I can't remember off the top of my head, since I've only ever switched cards before hacking a system.

19. MasterViper81
    OP

Jan 22, 2017
    United States
    The Rice Fields
    I have an old 3ds, and it only has homebrew on it, I haven't installed a9lh or luma yet, I'm waiting until i get a new sd card.

20. TCJJ

TCJJ GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2009
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Then the procedure I listed is all you need. That'll copy your homebrew too.