Gaming My personal thoughts on Super Paper Mario

fartos32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I know this game has had mainly good reviews and a lot of people like it, but personally I think it goes down as a 5/10 game. I havn't played this game much, only just past the first boss so there are obviously areas of the game I havn't seen yet. I am comparing this game to the first two Paper Mario's to a large extent.

My first problem with the game is the battle system. Other than it not being anywhere close to the first 2 Paper Mario's, it's just plain not good. Too slow for my standards and less depth than stomping goombas on the NES Super Mario Bro's. The battle system in Paper Mario and 1000 Year Door is what made the games great. Plenty of Items, abilities ect. can't forget the action command. I also think the flip feature to change the game from 2D to 3D and vice versa is a complete waste and doesn't do much good at all. The other main problem with the game is it poses no challenge whatsover. A 3 year old could finish the game with not all that much challenge.

The storyline and characters I consider to be just plain terrible. So Mario runs into Bowsers castle and then gets teleported to another world and needs to collect some sort of hearts to save it. Sure I know it's a Mario game, but I really do not like the story. The story in the first and second Paper Mario while they didn't really have any twists it did it's job and wasn't absurd like this one. I also think the minor characters look like complete crap. Most of them are nothing more then talking oblongs with little detail in them.

The graphics have some good points and some pretty bad points. Personally I hate the look of the Flipside which also happens to be the main city. What happened to the colourful Toad Town and Rougeport? If I wanted to look at something plain and bland I only have to look a little above my monitor and right there I'll find a plain white wall. The second town does look rather good however. The first castle looks pretty plain as well and from watching videos of the game the other castles don't look any better. As for the characters the main ones make good eye candy. Nice bright and colourful even Count Bleck somewhow has his evil dark robes and still looks attractive. The minor characters don't need to be repeated.

I can't remember much at all about the sound. It didn't annoy me so it I wouldn't say it sounds bad, but it wasn't anything memorable either.

Overall I don't think this game is really worth the time to play, though if it wasn't titled paper mario I might've given it a 6/10 rather than a 5.

And thats it for what I personally think of this game. Feel free to disagree with this, I'm sure quite a lot of people will.

Ciao.

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
I havn't played this game much

and still you're giving it something you would like to call a review ?

sounds more like you play the game some minutes ... don't like the game lets give it 5/10

so yeah I disagree, no one is waiting for this type of crap info at all

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
elmariachi said:
QUOTE said:

sounds more like you play the game some minutes ... don't like the game lets give it 5/10

This.

Try finishing a game before reviewing it.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
A 3 year old could finish the game with not all that much challenge.

And you know this from playing up to the first boss
facepalm4687116.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I didn't find Super Paper Mario that great either. The RPG elements were pretty useless and in the end it was mainly just a decent enough platformer, not the RPG we wanted (and honestly, the Wii needed). It gets rather boring.

I wouldn't give it a 5/10 by any means but maybe like a 7/10.

fartos32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well i did say "Although from it's very short length I'm not all that sure if you could classify this as a review". but my main disappointment the battle system still exists regardless.

elmariachi said:
QUOTE said:

several hours....

there i got rid of the word review in the first post. happy?

BlueStar said:
A 3 year old could finish the game with not all that much challenge.

And you know this from playing up to the first boss
facepalm4687116.gif
honestly while it is a BIG assumtion the first part of the game was exceedingly easy. and i havnt heard of any of the paper marios being somewhat difficult.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I agree that this entries in the series was a little weaker and slightly over rated, but it was a fantastic game nevertheless.
I myself don't play RPGs, but still when I start any Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi, I'm hooked from the start and I can't help but finish said game, all the time.
In fact ,besides Mario RPG ( the seven start adventure for the SNES ) I played and finished all of them.

What I don't agree on, is how somebody can give ' impressions ' about a game released years ago without even finishing the game and complain because it was 'too easy '.
I mean if it's so easy why you didn't finish it ( you should be done in a breeze ) and how do you know the game doesn't get better as you progress ?
It's like somebody goes to watch a movie, and after 7 minutes ( compared the average length of a 90min. movie ) , leaves the theater and goes to tell his friends to stay away from that movie it sucks !
You know what, this kind of people sucks, I like to judge from myself if I like or not a movie.
Besides, when there is the undeniable fact that we are talking about something with an high production value, product of love, full of fun , little details and very polished , what you are left with is merely the fact that you are satisfied with the story or maybe you don't get it, or it's not your cup of tea.
But dismissing such an high profile game clearly full of qualities as " to be just plain terrible " instead of " not my cup of tea " for example, tells me a lot about shallowness of today's gamers and confirms to me that the average people really don't know shit or what the hell are they talking about, and that goes for today's main stream music, movies and maybe even books if somebody still writes them.
One word of advice, before commenting on a game ,at least give it a try and finish it ( since " The other main problem with the game is it poses no challenge whatsover. A 3 year old could finish the game with not all that much challenge.", then you will have every rights to post your own opinion, as it stands, this topic is just rubbish.

KingMuk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I COMPETELY agree super paper mario sucked sooooo MUCH ass OMG that game was soo SHIT. I didn't like that whole retro mario game play INCLUDING that 3d/2d bullshit, the story line was soo CHEESY and i didn't like the whole pixl partners and luigi, peach, bowser and mario all being the party instead of your common goomba, bob-omb, yoshi, koopa etc.

In my eyes this game FAILED like so bad to the point it made the first paper mario look like crap
and we all KNOW how epic and damn bad ass paper mario 64 IS!!!!!!

and before anyone EVEN thinks of telling me " did you even finish super paper mario deer derr derr?" I did finish the game, did both pits of 100 trials everything
but the game sucks ass ---> game play wise, enemy wise, story wise

I give this crappy game a 2/10 -_____-"""

Last edited by KingMuk,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hybrid -x1 said:
and before anyone EVEN thinks of telling "how did you finish it deer derr derr?" I did finish the game, did both pits of 100 trials everything
but the game sucks gameplay wise, enemy wise, story wise
I'm actually thinking WHY you finished the game. It's your right to not like a game and inform the world about it (same as the topic starter, by the way). I just don't understand why you bother to keep playing if you don't like the game mechanics to begin with.

Heck, I had my fair share of unfinished games. And with reviews, youtube vids, shareware games (for PC games) and all other information on the internet, it's not that hard to get an impression of a game before you even buy the thing. But even then...nobody is forcing you to play a game you don't like. Right?

As for the topic itself: I think the game's okay. I skipped most of the dialogue, but the rest of the game was a pretty fun platformer (note: I can't compare it to an earlier paper mario, as this is the first one I've played). The only "regret" I have is that I went with this game instead of Wario land. But all in all: I kinda liked it.
smile.gif

fartos32

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
hybrid -x1 said:
and before anyone EVEN thinks of telling "how did you finish it deer derr derr?" I did finish the game, did both pits of 100 trials everything
I'm actually thinking WHY you finished the game. It's your right to not like a game and inform the world about it (same as the topic starter, by the way). I just don't understand why you bother to keep playing if you don't like the game mechanics to begin with.

Heck, I had my fair share of unfinished games. And with reviews, youtube vids, shareware games (for PC games) and all other information on the internet, it's not that hard to get an impression of a game before you even buy the thing. But even then...nobody is forcing you to play a game you don't like. Right?
Which is exactly why I never finished it. If you don't like the game why keep on playing it? Now I get critisized for saying its not a good game just because I didn't bother trying to finish a game I didn't like. Finishing it won't change the battle system graphics ect. so why bother? If you don't like the trial version of a game I highly doubt you would buy the full game. So why say my thoughts on this game are bullshit just because I never finished it?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No...the people here don't criticize you for not liking the game, but for the way you bring your opinion. You may have removed the word "review" from the title, but your text still gives the impression that you know the game well enough to form a well-founded opinion.

And I'm sorry to say, but aside from the claims that it's nothing like it's prequals, you don't have one. Flipside has a lot of stuff in store for you as you progress...its depth only starts to show while playing the game. The same goes with the different items, action commands (mario's action is flipping 2D-3D...the other characters have other stuff they can do) and the game's difficulty (while I think that it's not as difficult as e.g. NSMBW, some of the later levels still add some challenge to 'em).
By stating that you don't like those parts of the game, you're implicitly saying that what isn't there in the first levels isn't there in the game at all...and that's where a lot of peeps will disagree with you.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm73 said:
I myself don't play RPGs, but still when I start any Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi, I'm hooked from the start and I can't help but finish said game, all the time.
In fact ,besides Mario RPG ( the seven start adventure for the SNES ) I played and finished all of them.
heh I'm actually the other way around, seven stars is the only mario RPG that has captured my attention long enough to finish the whole damn game. though I haven't played this one yet.

KingMuk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wever said:
hybrid -x1 said:

As for the topic itself: I think the game's okay. I skipped most of the dialogue, but the rest of the game was a pretty fun platformer (note: I can't compare it to an earlier paper mario, as this is the first one I've played). The only "regret" I have is that I went with this game instead of Wario land. But all in all: I kinda liked it.
smile.gif

Well i finished the game because i'm a huge fan of the paper mario series but yeah i was just disappointed and such.
I know i was ranting and ranting excuse me for that but any who in order to give this game my honest opinion I would need to play it and finish it .

Last edited by KingMuk,

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely loved the game. Got it a few days after it came out and beat it twice. I might go for a third run. Really, this is one of my favorite Wii games.

Serpent01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Paper Mario is a great game imo. I dont think it should be compared with the first 2 paper mario games since its a completely new type of game. I would give it around a 7/10

Centimetro

Trophies
Website
www.getexbackclub.com
XP
Country
United States
This game is pretty bad, I think 5/10 is generous but fair.

I've plaed up to the last world, but can't be bothered to finish it.

I kinda like the idea of it, but it just isn't much fun. And that's something Nintendo games and especially definitely excel in. Good old pure fun.

Excitedguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to finish a game to give it a review, god I can't imaging trying to beat the new game "Naughty Bear" for 360, the folks over at IGN couldn't do it either and it got a terrible score, there's no sense in torturing yourself just to beat a game to review it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here