My personal review - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by morrison22, Aug 14, 2018.

1. morrison22
    OP

morrison22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    This is my personal review of what I would say is the most captivating and intriguing game that I've played this year: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

After sinking over 60 hours of game play into nearly 5 full chapters within a couple weeks time, I still have a chapter and a half to go before completion. Keep in mind, I tend to play slowly and creep every crevice and corner, as that is my personal style with games in this genre. I like to appreciate everything this game has to offer.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is definitely a blast to play, especially if you enjoy the Action-Adventure genre. It also reflects light, manageable RPG Elements that give you just enough to feel satisfied without being cumbersome.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is all about exploring an island and working together with others to survive. Weird things happen on the island <cough>LOST<cough> often enough that you periodically get reminded of a familiar place... There are plenty of dungeons to explore and items to find. Progression is reminiscent of ALTTP's style of gameplay. (need this item to do this, need another item to do that)

At its core, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is a fast-paced, story-driven game. The story is interesting and there was even a moment that made me cry... and I NEVER cried because of something that happened in a video game... until now.

The restrictive open-world leaves you to appreciate BOTW's Open-Air Style. That said, expect a linear style open world <for the most part> tho, still an exciting one even if it is littered with invisible walls.

Also, it is worth noting that map system is a bit convoluted, however, once you are used to it, you will be able to navigate with ease as you understand its design better.

Overall, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is a fabulous game and once you get used to its quirks, you will become engulfed in a world of engaging adventure that is captivating and quite simply put, very enjoyable.

Last edited by morrison22, Aug 14, 2018
    .personified and Mat37 like this.
  2. Stone-D

Stone-D Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    Indonesia
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    That ship at the beginning was like the Tardis. Much, MUCH bigger on the inside than the outside.

morrison22 likes this.
  3. morrison22
    OP

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    Haha. So true. But they made everything fit. Squeezed it all in there. lol

4. veddermandan

veddermandan Advanced Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Australia
    Good review mate. I hate all RPGs so would never have tried this game. But will definitely give it a go now

morrison22 likes this.
  5. morrison22
    OP

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    Thanks.
    I never reviewed a game before. lol. It’s just my personal take on it. Next time I do this though, I plan to get more in depth. But yes, I am sure you will enjoy it.

6. emigre

emigre An electric type pokemons

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London
    I played Ys VIII on release on the PS4 and it is excellent. My favourite Ys game. I suggest you play Celcetta of Memories which is a precursor (in-game structure) to Lacrimosa in a lot of ways. It just got released on PC and it's a good port.

7. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    My review:

Fucking masterpiece.

8. Dissaor

Dissaor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Really fun and engaging game, 60 hours well expent.

9. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    according to the switch, I sunk 85 hours into the game. I've just started octopath traveler. thus far, I like ys viii more.

10. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

May 22, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I wanted to like Ys VIII, but I just didn't. Hated the music, combat was good but repetitive, characters were slightly annoying.

Gutted because I did want to sink a ton of hours into it, but just not meant to be I guess. Jealous of you guys enjoying it, same thing happened with Memories of Cel, Ys is just not for me.

I had loads more fun with Shining Resonance, that just clicked for me.

11. ExploitJunkie

ExploitJunkie GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2017
    United States
    I'm picky when it comes to RPGs but I'll have to admit this was one solid game all the way through. I took a chance on it because I played Ys 1 & 2 and they still hold a place for my favorites of all time along with this one now. I had a blast playing it and was stoked to play it again when taking breaks in between. No regrets whatsoever.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

morrison22 likes this.
  12. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    ys book 1 and 2 for the pc engine is a masterpiece.

ExploitJunkie likes this.
  13. ExploitJunkie

ExploitJunkie GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2017
    United States
    Those soundtracks.. They still haunt me...

14. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    If you're going to do more in-depth reviews later, just remember there's a review section you can post it in! https://gbatemp.net/reviews/

15. morrison22
    OP

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    Indeed you are correct. I was devastated.

Okie Dokie. I'll have to check that section of temp out. Can anyone just post an official gbatemp review?

Last edited by morrison22, Aug 18, 2018
    Scarlet likes this.