Hacking Question My patience ends more and more

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It depends on how many fuses you have burnt. If you have the number of fuses burnt for 4.0.1 for example (which is 5), you can only boot firmwares 4.0-4.1 without RCM. If you want to boot any other firmware (higher or lower) you must boot into RCM first so you can use a bootloader (SX OS or Hekate) that bypasses the fuse check. For higher firmwares, alternative bootloaders also need to prevent fuses from being burnt which both Hekate and SX OS support. Firmwares 4.0 and above have no problem running cartridges, but if your firmware was below 4.0 and you use his guide to update it, then when you return to any firmware below 4.0 your cartridges will not work.

Info about fuses: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Fuses (bottom of the page)
someone posted this above you :
"STEP 10: LAUNCHING THE FIRMWARE ANY OTHER TIME
IF YOUR CARTRIDGE SLOT WORKS ON <4.0.0 FIRMWARE AND YOU WISH TO KEEP IT THAT WAY, YOU MUST ALWAYS LOAD 4.0.0 OR HIGHER FIRMWARE USING THE [FS_XXX] OPTION WHICH USES REPLACEMENT FS_XXX_nogc.kip1 SYSMODULE VIA HEKATE ! EVEN A SINGLE BOOT WITHOUT THAT SYSMODULE REPLACEMENT USED WILL PERMANENTLY UPGRADE THE GAME CARTRIDGE CONTROLLER FIRMWARE TO THE 4.0.0 VERSION, MAKING IT UNUSABLE IN EARLIER FIRMWARES (so any "CFW" ini files you use YOU MUST ADD THE PROPER FS_XXX_nogc.kip1 LINE TO ALL ENTRIES).

You can now extract/use any hekate sdfiles zip back onto your microSD, and launch via hekate Launch firmware -> stock/CFW options like normal.
The switch will be in AutoRCM mode too, so your fuses are not at risk of being accidentally burned if it decides to power up normally."

so I guess what you're saying used to be true but isn't necessarily anymore ? (I'm on 3.0.1 and want to get on 5.1 without botching my cart fw)

does sx os 1.3 still have a problem with this ? what are they doing differently from hekate ? are they even aware of this ?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
someone posted this above you :
"STEP 10: LAUNCHING THE FIRMWARE ANY OTHER TIME
IF YOUR CARTRIDGE SLOT WORKS ON <4.0.0 FIRMWARE AND YOU WISH TO KEEP IT THAT WAY, YOU MUST ALWAYS LOAD 4.0.0 OR HIGHER FIRMWARE USING THE [FS_XXX] OPTION WHICH USES REPLACEMENT FS_XXX_nogc.kip1 SYSMODULE VIA HEKATE ! EVEN A SINGLE BOOT WITHOUT THAT SYSMODULE REPLACEMENT USED WILL PERMANENTLY UPGRADE THE GAME CARTRIDGE CONTROLLER FIRMWARE TO THE 4.0.0 VERSION, MAKING IT UNUSABLE IN EARLIER FIRMWARES (so any "CFW" ini files you use YOU MUST ADD THE PROPER FS_XXX_nogc.kip1 LINE TO ALL ENTRIES).

You can now extract/use any hekate sdfiles zip back onto your microSD, and launch via hekate Launch firmware -> stock/CFW options like normal.
The switch will be in AutoRCM mode too, so your fuses are not at risk of being accidentally burned if it decides to power up normally."

so I guess what you're saying used to be true but isn't necessarily anymore ? (I'm on 3.0.1 and want to get on 5.1 without botching my cart fw)

does sx os 1.3 still have a problem with this ? what are they doing differently from hekate ? are they even aware of this ?
SX OS V1.3 has no way of loading that custom module to break the cartridge slot. Only Hekate does. Basically, you cannot use SX OS in any capacity above 4.0 and prevent the cartridge slot from being patched for the time being.

Reactions: Azel

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
yeah, I did a bit more reading and fighured that out too, thanks for clearing it up too ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?