My only complaint about the WiiU

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by GreatZimkogway, Nov 24, 2012.

Nov 24, 2012
  1. GreatZimkogway
    OP

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Buying on the WiiU eShop is a complete failure. At least here in the US, anyway. You can only put in increments of $10, $20, $50, or $100. Current games are $9.99, and then add sales tax. Retail download games are $59.99, and then sales tax.

This is complete stupidity on Nintendo's part, as you CANNOT pay for a $60 game in one go, you have to be all complicated with it. And the $10 option is pointless right now, there's nothing under $9.99. And even then, you HAVE to put $20 on it to get a $9.99 game, and then you're only able to get one game.

Nintendo, why are you so inept at online purchases? Do taxes not exist over in Japan? Or could you at least give us a "Pay Exact Amount" option? This is a complete failure at online purchasing.

2. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Unless you use a credit card to directly pay for stuff I don't think the PS3 can either. The options for it are 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 50 and max (150 minus current amount in wallet) while there are $70 games on there.

3. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    just change your location to one of those taxless states

superthorn96 likes this.
  4. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    "Pay Remainder Using A Credit Card"

5. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    I bought a $9.99 game and I have one cent on my account.

6. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    They have a pay remainder option on the 3ds, I assume they would have it on the Wii U as well

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm...you DO know that the money left over is put on your account, right? So it can be used for future games you ever want to buy.

I know it's not very convenient if you want to buy just one game online in the entire wiiU lifespan, but the complaint seems a bit overblown to me.

Wizerzak likes this.
  8. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Nintendo isn't the only company lolol.

9. yagami69

Newcomer yagami69 Member

Mexico
    I hope they add this soon, it already exists in 3DS eShop, wonder why is not present in WiiU

10. Wizerzak

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Can't you just pay by credit card? :L

11. HaTaX

Member HaTaX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you pay with a credit card you can put exactly the credit needed to purchase a game on your account. That how I bought all of my eShop titles and I currently have $0 in my account waiting to be used. Probably no way to work this with store bought credit, have to use a CC on your last purchase to bring the balance to zero when purchasing a title.

12. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    This problem also exists with the 3DS shop and I hate it personally. Mainly because you "charge" funds to an account and when you are left with 0.01. You can't use the leftovers until it adds up to enough money to buy something else. Wait a minute...this could be a marketing ploy, sneaky.

13. ComeTurismO

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
  14. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Fully recommend no one ever put there CC info on a server run by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo.

All of my online purchases for the Wii or WoW or anything like that have been via buying cards at the store so if they get hacked they can have some expired cards.

That's my two cents on the subject.

15. HaTaX

Member HaTaX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you have a citibank card they allow you to create virtual CC numbers good for one purchase, I use that for most all of my online purchasing. Otherwise if you tell eShop to not retain your CC info for future purchases, they won't have all the important information retained on their servers.

Also, the 3DS shop lets you do the same "top up" of your credit to purchase a game and leave $0 in your account. I'm sure Nintendo will get better about this as time goes on, but really if you purchase a card at the store there isn't much you can do to make that match a game purchase price.