Gaming My Japanese Coach

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well it's a DS program, so I have reservations on how useful it will be.

But I suppose if it allows you to speak as well as a Japanese child, you might just barely manage to get something useful out of the experience if you are lost.

I wouldn't be expecting it to permit me to communicate as well as an adult.

But I will likely use it more than Spanish
smile.gif

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just out of curiousity, to anybody who's used the Spanish or French versions, is it just for beginners, or can people who already speak use it to improve their language as well? Basically, how in depth / advanced does it get?

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spanish Coach had me speaking as well as a village idiot, so I don't expect too much out of this, except some racist storyline and tons of lulz.

I can't wait to see people getting bitchslapped with bukkake magazines while you play a 10yo boy purchasing panties from a vending machine.

Lupigen

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
Spanish Coach had me speaking as well as a village idiot, so I don't expect too much out of this, except some racist storyline and tons of lulz.

I can't wait to see people getting bitchslapped with bukkake magazines while you play a 10yo boy purchasing panties from a vending machine.
You're thinking of "Spanish for Everyone," not "My Spanish Coach."

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lupigen said:
Pyrofyr said:

You're thinking of "Spanish for Everyone," not "My Spanish Coach."
Oh you're right, I totally am.
I think I played the coach games, and either way I won't learn much, although the wit from an American kid going to Japan would be hilarious, hope they do a Japanese for Everyone

RvLeshrac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for it....

But what they really need is a starting-at-pre-K level Japanese language trainer, then they can work up from there.

My main issue with all of the "language training" titles is that they start at a level far above what they need to. The best way to learn a second language is still the same way you learned the first. Repetition of simple words, working your way up to more complex phrases and sentences. The only bonus you have going into a second language is that you (presumably) already have an understanding of parts-of-speech, odd grammatical constructs, synonyms/homonyms, etc.

In the case of Japanese, everyone wants to start reading kanji right away. Unfortunately, that's like trying to learn Russian by reading Tolstoy, German with Goethe, English with Burroughs, or Old English with Beowulf.

Until you've gotten a grasp of the basics (written characters, basic grammatical constructs, pronunciation), you really have little hope of learning the language. This is even more important in pictographic/ideographic languages, where characters can have completely different meanings depending on something as incidental as the location(s) of the speaker(s).

This obviously isn't as big an issue when dealing with languages closely related to your own (Germanic and Romance languages; Chinese and Japanese), so I hope they're taking it into consideration when producing ideographic language trainers for western markets.

*edit*

While on the subject, I'm going to hate it if this is another one of those "phrases to use when changing planes at Tokyo" trainers. Nothing irks me more than a "language learning" program that does nothing but teach you a few basic phrases.

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

gosp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
As much as I'd love to learn Japanese... the only use it has is for playing games and watching awesome game shows. I visited japan and EVERYONE speaks English.

"My Mandarin Coach", on the other hand...
wink.gif

shiroitaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
gosp said:
As much as I'd love to learn Japanese... the only use it has is for playing games and watching awesome game shows. I visited japan and EVERYONE speaks English.

"My Mandarin Coach", on the other hand...
wink.gif

lol quite true almost everyone does
smile.gif
some places i visited they didnt
smile.gif
once you head out of tokyo/kyoto then you start having to learn!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://thefeedfeed.com/uncomplicatedchef/grapes-and-cheese-pizza This makes me belive in...